Author Topic: How to retain "Date Added" when importing iTunes library?  (Read 2887 times)

hiccup

Yea I guess it doesn't really matter "why" as long as it is important to someone.
if somehow all my Ratings disappeared I would just about lose my mind, thats how important they are because so much time was invested and having to do it all over again would be devastating.
Ratings I understand.
'date added to itunes' I still don't.
Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:16:42 PM by hiccup

vincent kars

'date added to itunes'
if this is equivalent to Oh yeah I bought the Velvet Underground an Nico in 1968 and Five bridges by the Nice in 1973, do you understand?

hiccup

'date added to itunes'
if this is equivalent to Oh yeah I bought the Velvet Underground an Nico in 1968 and Five bridges by the Nice in 1973, do you understand?
That is an answer to my assumption to the 'emotional' part of such a date.
For me, this would mean I should be able to recall when I heard a song for the very first time and it made me 'stop'.
Which exact dates and times are lost like tears in rain. As they should be ;-)

Wooglin

Its definitely emotional!  It also checks the box for technical organization of a prior collection.  Hence the importance  ;)

frankz

If you make a wishlist out of at least optionally retaining the Date Added from an imported iTunes XML, I'd plus one it.  If I were considering setting up MB coming from another library manager, having my date addeds reset would be a deal breaker.  I'm glad that this wasn't the case when I brought my library over.

Steven

• Administrator
It should already be setting the date added from the itunes file. Can you send me a link to the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file

Wooglin

Appreciate the reply Steven!  I'm very glad to hear this is the intended functionality.  I just sent you a PM with the XML link.  Thanks for having a look!

frankz

Just FYI I tested importing an old iTunes XML with date addeds back to 2009 into a fresh MB install and all of my date addeds were today at that time, so you're not going crazy. 

I tested once going to the inbox and then deleted that library and tested once going directly to the library.  Same result both times.

Hope this gets resolved for you.

Wooglin

Thanks for testing Frank!  Good to know its not an isolated issue.  Much appreciated.

Steven

• Administrator
There is a bug and this fixes the issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

I think it should work on files already loaded in your library but if it doesnt you will need to create a new database

Wooglin

Hi Steven.  Thanks for the patch!  However, I am unable to find the existing Musicbee application files.  I installed the program from the Windows Store but don't see any Musicbee folder in either Program Files, Program Files x86, or AppData.  Where do I find the files and do I delete them and replace with the contents of the zip?  Thank you!

frankz

You cannot update the Windows store version with a patch.  It is unpatchable.

You should install the portable version to a folder created outside of Windows' control (like C:\MusicBee or the like).  The portable (or installer if you're partial to that - but portable seems to be preferred by most) is much more flexible as far as updating.

If you've done a lot of customizations to your current version, you can keep most of it by exporting your panel layout and settings - Edit->Saved Settings->Save Settings Snapshot and View->Import/Export->Export Panel Arrangement - and then importing them to your new portable (or installer) version.

You can open the library you created in the new version if you want - no need to create a new one.

Wooglin

frankz, thanks very much for this direction.  I uninstalled the windows store version and reinstalled via the installer.  When I rescanned my iTunes library all of the original Date Added info is retained!  I didn't have to perform the patch, it just worked right out of the installer.  Thanks again for all your help!

hiccup

I think it should work on files already loaded in your library…
Out of curiosity:
Since these dates are not metadata tags (I think?), are they written in the file headers? Or maybe as some Windows time attribute?

boroda

i already don't remember how ipod & iphone driver plugin exactly works and if it supports 2-way syncing, but maybe it's an option to sync itunes database with mb database in offline mode (without connection iphone at all)?