Author Topic: Using artwork properties in searches and filters  (Read 639 times)

Pingaware

I've searched in the forum for this without success.

I've always wondered if there is a neat way of using artwork in searches and filters. I have a multi-condition filter that would benefit from having a "has artwork" criteria available.

The artwork manager can be used for some of the things I would like to be able to do by using it on a search or filter, but it's not ideal. However, it is very difficult to look for files that have artwork (rather than don't have) and fulfil other criteria.

A very rough workaround that has been suggested previously is to manually add tracks that come up in the Album Artwork Manager for "No artwork" to a playlist and then use that as the criteria in searches. But this is far from ideal given it would need manually remaking on a regular basis.

There's an <Artwork> field available for use in Virtual Tags, but I cannot work out what it does, if it's even fully implemented (seems undocumented from searching). It seems to just return "Unknown Album Artwork" every time.

Any solutions or tips gratefully appreciated - virtual tags, intelligent use of auto-reports, anything automatic!
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

hiccup

Can you specify what you mean exactly when you say 'has artwork'?
Do you mean files that have embedded artwork?

Pingaware

Either embedded artwork or linked artwork - anything that matches the storage preferences. I'm not sure exactly what the "No artwork" filter in the Album Artwork Manager searches for (I'm guessing any artwork matching any potential storage choices), but in an ideal world, I'd like to be able to search by that filter criteria.

hiccup

There's an <Artwork> field available for use in Virtual Tags, but I cannot work out what it does, if it's even fully implemented (seems undocumented from searching). It seems to just return "Unknown Album Artwork" every time.

I'm also curious what <Artwork> is supposed to do.
I can't find its purpose either.

tjinc

So in the virtual tag editor you can type <Artwork> in the formula box and it accepts it as a valid field, but it is not offered in the field selector list so my gut tells me it was not envisioned that it be used there.

It is offered as a field that you can set to display in, for example, the Tracks view. In this situation it acts to turn on artwork in the leftmost column.
My guess is that it is a remnant from a bygone era when this was the only way to enable artwork in certain views (can anyone remember back to the before-times?)

And in response to Pingaware's original question: I can't fathom any way of doing what you ask. It might prove useful to have a <Artwork?> field, similar to the <Lyrics?> field, but I guess that would have to be a wish.

Pingaware

Thanks both for confirming my suspicions. A wishlist request it is.