Author Topic: Scan Files stopped working  (Read 1146 times)

foxterrier

Hi, I have been through all of the message boards both here and in reddit looking for an answer, I cannot fix this. I've been using MB for YEARS. Recently I tried a new skin, it is the only *different* thing I've done. Now I cannot scan for new files. When I select the Scan for New Files option in the menu, the dialog box comes up, I click proceed, and the program gets stuck searching the folder. There is no indication of the process progressing or anything. It simply goes nowhere.

I can stop the process really easy, so it doesn't seem to be that the program itself is crashing, its only the scan that doesn't work.

I've tried re-installing MusicBee, deleting the files I latest added to my Music folder, obviously getting rid of skins, I tried running the program as administrator. I've tried MP3 Diag, MP3 Val and some other repair software, but nothing particularly came up. So far, no luck.

Any ideas? This is really a bummer, since I've been using MB for so long, it would be really really hard for me to switch to another media player.
Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 06:46:38 AM by foxterrier

tjinc

Hi foxterrier,

There are more insightful people on this forum than myself who may offer other suggestions, but what I would do first is to try to work out is whether there is an issue with your music folder (or maybe some of the contents):

1. Create a new, empty folder on your C:\ drive (lets call it TestScan)

2. Run the 'Scan Folders for New Files' function but set it to scan this new folder and only this new folder.
     Does this run ok? (Obviously it wont find any new files)

3. If this does run ok, you could try adding a new music file to this folder and rescanning to check it gets added to your library.

Next steps will depend on the result of this test............

Steven

• Administrator
also if you use the patch version, it should log the file it gets stuck on to the error log
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

foxterrier

Hi foxterrier,

There are more insightful people on this forum than myself who may offer other suggestions, but what I would do first is to try to work out is whether there is an issue with your music folder (or maybe some of the contents):

1. Create a new, empty folder on your C:\ drive (lets call it TestScan)

2. Run the 'Scan Folders for New Files' function but set it to scan this new folder and only this new folder.
     Does this run ok? (Obviously it wont find any new files)

3. If this does run ok, you could try adding a new music file to this folder and rescanning to check it gets added to your library.

Next steps will depend on the result of this test............

Thank you so much for this idea Tjinc! So when I tried to choose the newly created folder, clicking on the "Choose Folder" option in the dialog box, it freezes up...the first time the program crashed, the second time I tried, I waited for a longer time and it finally allowed me to see other folders. However, it took a ridiculous amount of time to load. When I finally was able to add the folder, it did the same thing, it froze up and didn't work.

Any ideas on how to proceed?
Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 04:41:52 AM by foxterrier

foxterrier

also if you use the patch version, it should log the file it gets stuck on to the error log
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

Thanks for this Steve! I installed the patch, however, the log is not detecting this problem. The last error it shows is from March this year.
Any other suggestions?

Steven

• Administrator
then it will be windows getting stuck reading the directory tree

if you open the command prompt, enter the following and see if it completes
dir "C:\<path you use for the file scan>" /s

tjinc

I would also run some hard drive checking utilities in case your hard drive has problems.
Oh, and back up your data!

If that's ok:
What type of MusicBee install do you use? (Windows Store, Installer or Portable). It may be worth installing the portable version  (install to a folder such as C:\Musicbee\) to see if that helps.

foxterrier

Hi Steven and tjinc,

Just wanted to let you know that I've tried all of your recommendations and nothing works. I even isolated all new music files into a folder and excluded it from the scan, still didn't work. I uninstalled and installed the program, then only selected a folder I knew that would work because it's one of the first albums I had added, and the Scan Files process just freezes.

So definitely not a corrupt file. Scanned my drives and tried to see if there was a problem with the folder and nothing came up. Ran command prompt and it scanned the folder without any problems. Don't know if I should move this to the bug report forum?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm really tired of trying to find solutions so I'll have to go back to iTunes, at least until the next MB release.
Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 05:38:50 AM by foxterrier

sveakul

1.  Have you excluded/whitelisted all of MusicBee's files and folders from whatever antivirus application you use?

2.  Have you scanned your drive for bad sectors using a diagnostic tool from your drive manufacturer?

3.  Have you checked the error log like Steven asked and found any specific files in question?  If so please upload one of files so we can take a look at it.

4.  What TYPE of install do you have now (Portable, Store, etc)?  You said you have installed and reinstalled MusicBee-- my guess is that there parts of the program still scattered around your drive, registry, etc.  Do a total uninstall and then manually search for and delete anything named "musicbee" anywhere on your PC.  Then install the PORTABLE version to "C:\MusicBee."

Since no one else appears to be having this problem, it's obviously tied to your system and waiting for a new release of MusicBee is not going to help.  If iTunes personally does the job for you, there's no shade going back to what works the way you expect.

Zak

• Global Moderator
If iTunes personally does the job for you, there's no shade going back to what works the way you expect.
Well... maybe a little bit...  :-X
Bee excellent to each other...

foxterrier

1.  Have you excluded/whitelisted all of MusicBee's files and folders from whatever antivirus application you use?

2.  Have you scanned your drive for bad sectors using a diagnostic tool from your drive manufacturer?

3.  Have you checked the error log like Steven asked and found any specific files in question?  If so please upload one of files so we can take a look at it.

4.  What TYPE of install do you have now (Portable, Store, etc)?  You said you have installed and reinstalled MusicBee-- my guess is that there parts of the program still scattered around your drive, registry, etc.  Do a total uninstall and then manually search for and delete anything named "musicbee" anywhere on your PC.  Then install the PORTABLE version to "C:\MusicBee."

Since no one else appears to be having this problem, it's obviously tied to your system and waiting for a new release of MusicBee is not going to help.  If iTunes personally does the job for you, there's no shade going back to what works the way you expect.

Thanks for these ideas sveakul. To respond: 1. Yes, 2. Yes, 3. Yes (the last log is from march, the freezing behavior is not being recorded in the log), 4. I use the windows (exe) installation, not the portable or store. I will follow your advice and uninstall + erase everything related to MusicBee and then try the portable version. Thanks

I've read people having problems with the scanning function of MusicBee, maybe not my exact problem but certainly with scanning for new files. Thanks for your input.

--- UPDATE ---
After uninstalling and deleting every residual file associated to MusicBee and then installing the portable version, MusicBee is working again.
When I added my folder, no error messages came up, so I'm not sure what was causing the scan to fail.

Thanks again for your help!
Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 12:58:33 AM by foxterrier