Author Topic: Sorting problem  (Read 864 times)

bob

Hi all,

i have a little sorting problem but thus only happends with one artist, what am i doing wrong
tis is my problem.

my collection of The Alan Parsons Project.

for Album artist i use The Alan Parsons Project
for artists : The Alan Parsons Project; Alan Parson; Eric Woolfson

but here's the thing : Eric Woolfson is sorted at albums played on just what i want
but Alan Parson is treated like The Alan parsons Project.

i hope i make my little problem clear.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Welcome to the forum bob,
What tab/panel are you having the sorting problem with?

#1   but here's the thing : Eric Woolfson is sorted at albums played on just what i want
#2   but Alan Parson is treated like The Alan parsons Project.
Can you accompany the above descriptions with screenshots?
I can hardly picture what #2 might actually mean - not exactly sure what "treat" refers to there.
The source code to any of my contributions is available on the same download link as the add-ons

bob

#2 means in that its being treated the same as as Album artist

when i click om Alan parson in the left panel al his albums show up like it should
but also the Alan Parsons Project albums and not as "appears on"
when i click om eric woolfson in the left panel al his albums show up like it should
but then the Alan Parsons Project albums are listed separate as "appears on"

hope this is more clearly

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Thanks for the elaboration, I now understand that you are referring to the Music Explorer tab.

i have a little sorting problem but this only happens with one artist.
I gotta say, that is strange bob. But you're right in that something weird is going on specific to this artist syntax.

In the Music Explorer, albums tracks are only placed in the "Appears On" section when the <artist> is different from <album artist>.
I always thought MusicBee is making an <album artist> is equal to <artist> comparison, but it seems to be more of <album artist> contains <artist>.

Not sure if that is intended or the ideal comparison, but either way, you'll have to wait for Steven (MusicBee's developer)
or someone else to confirm my suspicion above and/or offer other insights.
The source code to any of my contributions is available on the same download link as the add-ons

bob

It only hapends with this artist (for i know ) , Let see and wait moat likely a little glitch
thx Mayibongwe

tjinc

I always thought MusicBee is making an <album artist> is equal to <artist> comparison, but it seems to be more of <album artist> contains <artist>.
I can confirm your suspicion here.

As a further example:
I have an album with <Album Artist> 'Flashmob' with one track having 'Ash' set as <Artist: Guest>
Selecting 'Ash' in Music Explorer shows this album in the main section when it belongs in the 'appears on' section.
This seems to be because the string 'ash' is contained within the string 'flashmob'.

Edit:
I guess this should be considered a bug so I have posted it as such - Steven is probably more likely to see it there.
Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 10:55:18 PM by tjinc

tjinc

Bob - as long as you are not using the MS Store version of MusicBee then you can apply this patch, which should correct the issue.