Author Topic: Winamp Input Plugins  (Read 37137 times)

Steven

• Administrator
Requires MusicBee v1.3.4222+

Winamp input plugins allow you to extend the file formats that MusicBee can play eg. play Shorten or DTS files which are not natively supported in MusicBee

bass_winamp.dll - place this in the folder where MusicBee.exe is installed
http://www.mediafire.com/?a9mumx736dvjd59
now included with the musicbee release package

then create a sub-folder called Plugins eg.
c:\Program Files\MusicBee\Plugins

and place the winamp input plugins there eg. see http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3867.msg21930#msg21930
eg. Shorten:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/ShnAmp.shtml
DTS:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/files/winampac3/winampac3_1_20a/
Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:54:56 AM by Steven

kstuart

Just so that other users know...

There are currently some problems with the interaction between WinampAC3 plugin and MusicBee, it may not work for you, whereas FLAC and WAV files that are DTS-encoded already work in MusicBee without the plugin, and you can download an AC3 plugin for MusicBee from the BASS web site at un4seen.com (use the exact same method as explained in the MusicBee FAQ for AAC).

Also, currently there is no way in MusicBee to bring up the Configuration dialog for any Input Plugin (which is not needed with Shorten Plugin or other simple input format plugins, but is needed for WinampAC3 plugin and possibly some others).

Steven

• Administrator
i've added support for configuring winamp input plugins in the Player preferences panel. Its in the next update

Keith

Requires MusicBee v1.3.4222+

Winamp input plugins allow you to extend the file formats that MusicBee can play eg. play Shorten or DTS files which are not natively supported in MusicBee

bass_winamp.dll - place this in the folder where MusicBee.exe is installed
http://www.mediafire.com/?a9mumx736dvjd59

then create a sub-folder called Plugins eg.
c:\Program Files\MusicBee\Plugins

and place the winamp input plugins there eg. see http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3867.msg21930#msg21930
eg. Shorten:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/ShnAmp.shtml
DTS:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/files/winampac3/winampac3_1_20a/

Hope someone can help me with DTS playback (it's probably me misunderstanding the above instructions but I have tried the above without any success.
I have copied bass_winamp.dll to C:\Program Files\Musicbee and then created a sub folder named "Plugins" within the MusicBee Folder.
I have tried to run the winamp pack installer winampac3_1_20a but the installer refuses to proceed with install no matter what directory I select to install to (I had tried amongst others to select C:\Program Files\MusicBee\Plugins)
As a result I have used the zip file winampac3_1_20a_src and extracted the contents to C:\Program Files\MusicBee\Plugins - this has created 2 subfolders named "valib" and winampac3 within the "Plugins" folder.
I can't help but think that I am doing something completely wrong here.
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks in advance for dealing with a numpty (me).

ma_t14

@Keith

The winampac3 installer wont work because it is looking whether you have winamp installed on your computer. Unless you want to install winamp there's another workaround.

I have extracted the required dll file from the installer. There is also a reg key in the rar archive which I'm not 100% sure whether it is needed. Just copy the dll from the archive to the musicbee plugins directory. If it won't work double-click to the reg file to inject it to the registry because maybe it needs to be there for the plugin to work. If it still does not work there's no other option but to install winamp, use the installer you used and then copy the dll from winamp's plugin directory to musicbee's plugin directory.

Here is the rar file needed.

You should delete the files you extracted from the src as these are the source code and you have no need for them unless you want to resume development of the plugin  ;)
Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:48:26 PM by ma_t14

kstuart

FLAC and WAV files that are DTS-encoded already work in MusicBee without the plugin.

The plugin is only needed for files with .DTS extension.

ma_t14

FLAC and WAV files that are DTS-encoded already work in MusicBee without the plugin.

He wouldn't be asking for help if he had flac and wav files that were already DTS encoded (because they would be working already), don't you think?  ;)

kstuart

He wouldn't be asking for help if he had flac and wav files that were already DTS encoded (because they would be working already), don't you think?  ;)

No I don't think that.

Someone could have just assumed that a DTS plugin was needed and never tried.

ma_t14

No I don't think that.

Do you honestly believe that?  :P

Anyway at least people will learn something new about MusicBee's functionality from your post  ;D

Keith

Many thanks for your response ma_t14 your efforts on my behalf are much appreciated.

Unfortunately MusicBee will still not pick up the dts tracks in my library (also won't play if I attempt to play file from windows explorer).

Thanks again for your efforts.

kstuart

No I don't think that.

Do you honestly believe that?  :P

Human beings' minds are linear.

1 - Go to MusicBee Forum
2 - See Input Plugins thread - "looks interesting"
3 - Read top post - "gee I have some DTS files, I should try installing this plugin system and WinampAC3 and try my DTS files"

ma_t14

Most wouldn't even know that any of their flac or wav files have dts streams so they wouldn't make the connection between the thread title and any of their files  ::)

Those who have have the technical knowledge to know that they own those files, I would say that they have already tried to see if they are working by now  ;)
Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:36:56 PM by ma_t14

kstuart

Those who have have the technical knowledge to know that they own those files, I would say that they have already tried to see if they are working by now  ;)
We'll just have to differ, because I would say that is definitely not true.

People with very little technical knowledge are constantly doing all sorts of things on the Internet that they do not understand.

Keith

People with very little technical knowledge are constantly doing all sorts of things on the Internet that they do not understand.

Thanks for your constructive help and for making me feel most welcome ;)

kstuart

Those who have have the technical knowledge to know that they own those files, I would say that they have already tried to see if they are working by now  ;)
We'll just have to differ, because I would say that is definitely not true.

Thanks for your constructive help and for making me feel most welcome ;)

I was clearly not referring to you.

The thread had become a philosophical argument.

But to summarize - and clarify that it is not a negative attack on anyone:

There is only 24 hours in a day.

No person, however "technically capable", can be aware of all factors and know everything.

So, it is always helpful to point out something that someone might have forgotten or not know.