Author Topic: Changing the COMPUTERNAME where the MB library files are located  (Read 510 times)

MusicBebe

I would like to move my music collection to a different local device. Is there any way of doing this without breaking the playlists that use the current path?

The files are currently located here:
\\COMPUTERNAME\Record Collection\MainParentFolder

Under the MainParentFolder are all the usual artist- and album-based folders where the actual files are.

I need to change it all to
\\NEWCOMPUTERNAME\Record Collection\MainParentFolder.

That's it. Everything else can stay the same.

What's the best way, by which I mean easiest and safest way, to do this?

I've done some very simple file moves using MB's File Organizer (Ctrl-R), and it has no problem moving files to a new network location. And it maintains playlist pointers, playcount, other metadata. But is that the way to do this? I see it's a tool to be approached with great caution!

Is there some way I can just edit the MB database, globally replace COMPUTERNAME with NEWCOMPUTERNAME, then reopen MB and be done with it?

How is this best done?
Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:38:23 AM by MusicBebe

frankz

Is this some kind of forum-wide challenge to see how many times you people can get me to answer the same question in a single week?

frankz

FILE->LIBRARY->RELINK MUSIC FILE PATHS

Old path at the left, new path at the right.  You need only to remap down to the lowest folder level that has changed. So..

Left: \\COMPUTERNAME\
Right: \\NEWCOMPUTERNAME\

Who is the ringleader in this?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Is this some kind of forum-wide challenge to see how many times you people can get me to answer the same question in a single week?

haha, sorry if it's in bad taste - I came across that movie clip this morning: Anger Management (2003).
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

hiccup

Who is the ringleader in this?
I heard some whispers of the name 'Moriarty'
Does that mean something to you?

MusicBebe

A very belated THANK YOU you for this!

I am finally getting around to doing this. So glad it's so easy.

And nope — this post was def not part of a forum-wide challenge. But I do appreciate this forum and all the great info here. Thanks again for your patience in posting this useful tidbit one more time!