Author Topic: Impact of plugin callback methods on playback  (Read 7595 times)

Elberet

I've noticed that the debug version of my WiP plugin causes MusicBee's audio playback to slightly stutter whenever I'm doing something that could take longer then a couple microseconds, such as doing blocking file or network I/O on the thread where MusicBee delivers notifications. With the release build and no debugger attached to the process, there are no stutters. Those jitters could be a side-effect of the debugger, but I'm not conviced.

Is it okay for a plugin, in general, to use MusicBee's notification delivery thread for performing potentially costly tasks, or would that collide with other plugins or MusicBee's internals?

Steven

• Administrator
your plugin and when sent a notification is in its own thread. You could test simply by putting in a Thread.Sleep(2000) for example to be sure. Playback is in its own thread as well.
You can intefere with the GUI if you do a synchronised invoke to the GUI thread (which some may need to do for certain types of plugins)

Elberet

Okay, good to know. Tho now I wonder what the debugger does that the audio stream jitters.  ???