Author Topic: How to add a screenshot to a post  (Read 51576 times)

jamburglar

http://gethyperdesktop.com/

HyperDesktop makes it even easier. You can even assign shortcuts/hotkeys for screenshots, selective screenshots, and window screenshots (:

stopbrickwalling

Thank you sooooooooo much.  This post allowed me to figure out how to post a screenshot today.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The website snag.gy will allow you to paste your print screen capture directly into the browser, and do some simple editing if desired.  The result seems to come out a little fuzzy, though, so if you need a high res image it might not be a good solution.
Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:29:01 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

michkis

cartman005, I think 'share' option of MediaFire should be mentioned. Its not very obvious that MediaFire can provide direct links to images.

Sigma

Here's a free program for Windows and OS X that can capture an area of your screen directly to an animated GIF: -

http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

It gives you a resizable frame. You can drag the frame to the size and position you want, set the frame rate of the GIF, then hit record, choose a name for your GIF and where to save it. There will then be a couple of seconds of pre-roll and it will start to record, capturing everything that happens within the frame. You can move the frame around the screen while it's recording. Once you're done, hit stop, then your GIF is ready to upload.

It's very handy for demonstrating bugs that occur when you perform certain actions, or for explaining to another user how to do something.

An example GIF created with it: -

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Wow, that's brilliant - Thanks Sigma
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Anti

The Snipping Tool which is part of Windows 7/8 is more flexible than a full screenshot, and you can annotate.
If you want to do a little more editing, I like Duck Capture (Mac and Win).

Also, once the image is uploaded to imgur, and you have the link, I use the BBCodeExtra Firefox add-on to insert it into the forums.
It's handy for formatting most posts that you write rather than type the bbcode everytime.

Note you can upload a large image, but restrict its size using bbcode (so it doesn't break out of the forum):
(img) link.goes.here width=600 (/img)
If users want to view the full size image, they can right-click -> view image.

J24

• Love music of all genres and cultures
Might be worth mentioning that you need to paste somewhere after pressing print screen as nothing really seems happens when you press it, it doesn't 'create the image' as point one suggests.

On Windows 8 (maybe Windows 7 too) you can press "WinKey + Print Screen" and it will create a PNG of your screenshot in
C:\Users\%userprofile%\Pictures\Screenshots
I'm addicted to meth, that is, methadata.
Wanna share music recommendations? add me on Last.fm!

Dypsis

I think there is a small mistake in step No. 4.

You wrote:
4. Get the direct link to the image and copy it. This link cannot be a page which has the image on it, but must be the actual address of the page.

Shouldn't it be?
4. Get the direct link to the image and copy it. This link cannot be a page which has the image on it, but must be the actual address of the image.

mick7

Hi Sigma, I'm Sorry if I'm going against the rules. I am a Newbie here. You posted a photo of the main section of the program. It has the thumbnail pictures of your albums. Can you explain to me.....or send me a PM How to set my preferences to make my screen look like this. Again, Sorry for asking this question in this section. I looked and looked and can Not figure out how to do this. Thanks, Harold.

sveakul

Here's a free program for Windows and OS X that can capture an area of your screen directly to an animated GIF:

http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

It gives you a resizable frame. You can drag the frame to the size and position you want, set the frame rate of the GIF, then hit record, choose a name for your GIF and where to save it. There will then be a couple of seconds of pre-roll and it will start to record, capturing everything that happens within the frame. You can move the frame around the screen while it's recording. Once you're done, hit stop, then your GIF is ready to upload. It's very handy for demonstrating bugs that occur when you perform certain actions, or for explaining to another user how to do something.

In addition to Licecap, here are two other freeware animated GIF creators I have used and can recommend:

GifCam  http://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

Very simple and intutive but with the full range of important options (color depth, FPS choice, etc) including editing.  It can be set to use RAM only or a specified temp folder for memory.  Be sure you get it from the author's site not 3rd parties.  Portable install, leaves no registry entries/external files.

ScreenToGif  http://www.screentogif.com/

Good but much "busier" than GifCam or Licecap, can also be setup to grab video using optional ffmepg, huge amount of edit options, a bit "overkill" but take a look at it.  There is a portable install option that afterwards in settings can be used to move the otherwise external ini file into its own folder, leaves an empty folder though in your Temp even when deleting the "project file", settings show warning about insufficient space in Temp even though there's plenty (in current 2.12.1 version) (Note: changelog for new 2.13 version now says "The warning that appears when there's not enough space left on disk will only be displayed when there's less than 2GB left"--not yet verified).  Adds two registry keys.

The thing I don't like about Licecap (in Sigma's post) is that once you hit "record", instead of immediately beginning the grab it takes you first to a dialog where you choose the saved file name/directory, THEN starts, so not great for catching something that's ongoing "at the chosen moment."  Other than that, it also is portable if you extract the install file (7-Zip is your friend) into a folder and create a blank "licecap.ini" file within prior to start.  No registry entries.
Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:41:22 AM by sveakul

Terry Walker

I use jing for screen captures! very easy to use and you can add other options icons to your images.