Author Topic: How can I sort thumbnail browser and main panel by Original Year?  (Read 603 times)

Dweller95

The way I typically organize the thumbnail browser is to go by Album, then group by Album Artist and sort by Year (Ascending), and I organize the main panel in much the same way. But the thing that bothers me is that it organizes remastered albums by the year of the remaster instead of the original year, and I can't seem to change that with the custom sorting options I've tried. As you can see in the thumbnail browser, the Badmotorfinger album is a remaster and is sorted by the remaster's year rather than the original year. It would help if someone could help me figure out if I can get it to organize the way I'd like.

Zak

• Global Moderator
You won't be able to do this if you're only storing a single year value for each album.
Are you storing separate values for the original year and the release year with each album (or at least the albums where it matters)?
There is an Original Year tag that most people seem to use for this purpose.

Then you could sort albums by original year, while still displaying the release year if that's what you want.
Bee excellent to each other...

Dweller95

Adding the original year to each album helped, but I then had to make a custom sort "Album Artist/Original Year/Album" for the main panel to organize properly. Is there any way to custom sort the thumbnail browser as well?

Zak

• Global Moderator
The heading at the top (where yours shows Album) is a drop-down menu.

Dweller95

The heading at the top (where yours shows Album) is a drop-down menu.

I know, but it doesn't give an option to sort by Original Year, at least in the Sort By part. Only in the Group By section, which I've already tried doing custom tags with.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Oh, bugger! I didn't realise you can't sort by a field that isn't displayed.  :-\

Um...

You might have to try a different approach - use the Year tag for the year you want to sort by, and create a custom field for Release Year to save the date of any reissues you want to know about.

That's actually what I do - original album year is used for sorting, and I show any special release details separately:

I didn't want to suggest that first because it adds a lot of admin work to get the tags right.

Dweller95

I can't quite figure that out, but removing the thumbnail browser and changing the main panel view to Albums works just as good for me since that's organized the way I wanted. Thanks for helping me figure out how to do that!

tjinc

A couple of other options:

1. Create a virtual tag: <Original Year> - <Album> and select that to display in the thumbnail browser.

2. Wait for ver 3.6 - it looks like original year will be in the sort options for the thumbnail browser.