Author Topic: Managing single file .flac files with .cue file providing track breakdown  (Read 1163 times)

mm

I know there are plenty of posts relating to single file .flac files with .cue file providing track breakdown.

I probably have a hundred or so of these.

In the past I have broken these into individual track files using a third party app called Medieval Cue Splitter. I recently read that this can result in some minor damage to the individual files (resulting in clicks etc during playback).

The logical solution to this would be to just leave the single file as is, and let MB work out the tracks on the fly using the cue file.

I do, however, like to search for tracks directly within Windows.

So I am just wondering, if I was to keep the single flac cue file for MB to use, and have a subfolder (say called "separate tracks") for my Windows searching to find, would this work?

If so, would there be a way for me to setup the sub folder "separate tracks", so that MB ignores this?

(I guess my other option would be to find another cue splitter that does not result in individual tracks with issues, but then I would have to make sure it handles automatic renaming correctly etc).

Any thoughts appreciated.

karbock

A first thought: have you noticed such clicks while listening?
If not, I wouldn't change anything to your current configuration. Such clicks are of course possible, but they shoudln't be audible as long as the tracks are separated by some silence (or sufficient fading) and the cue stops had been set correctly.

But if you want to keep a single FLAC+CUE along with each split album, it is indeed possible to exclude some folders from what MusicBee automatically scans:
Preferences -> tab Library -> button «Exclude» (under «monitored folders»).

You are of course aware of this last caveat, but for other readers who would consider using CUE sheets:
With a global file + CUE, the only tags that one can define at track level are:
  • TRACK,
  • TITLE and
  • PERFORMER (which maps to ARTIST within MusicBee).
Hence, all the other tags defined in the single global FLAC will apply to all the inferred tracks: GENRE, WORK, LANGUAGE, YEAR, etc.

As for me, I use both systems (single file + cue sheet, and split tracks).
I have used MediaHuman AudioConverter so far, but I will give Medieval CUE splitter a try. These words in its home page caught my attention: "without decoding/re-encoding the data stream".
Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 10:16:50 AM by karbock
Search
  Forum •   Wiki
Tips
MB File Paths •  Update Patches
$Functions() •  Regular Expressions
Tag Symbols •  Tag Mapping

vincent kars

Why don't you use Musicbee to split the file into a file per track?
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21742.0

These words in its home page caught my attention: "without decoding/re-encoding the data stream".
That might be part of the problem. This is a trick you can do with any format including MP3. Just use the frame boundary to split. As this is not an exact method (not necessary equal to the start of a song) you can get glitches

Please don´t use this. Last time i checked it did produce files that are no longer 100% valid. It did mess up the gaps and even lost some samples. At least some files after splitting were no longer to verify against the Accurate Rip database.
My recomendation is to get familar with that: http://cuetools.net/wiki/CUETools
For lossless operations it offers several more features that are very welcome in daily handling of lossless files and also own ripping. Gregory Chudov the developer himself has always an eye on the threads about CUEtools on the hydrogenaudio.org pages. So if you should have any questions it will be helped over there for sure.

Edit: I just checked the recent version of this medieval splitter and it still is broken. I just ripped my CD2 of Pink Floyd - The Wall CDS7460368 to a single wav + cue. It is a cd with many gapless songs. Medieval pretty much destroys it on splitting. You can even hear the missing samples as pops and clicks betwen the tracks. Only 2 tracks are left accurately ripped (6+13)

https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/user-forums/ripping-encoding-transcoding-tagging/95453-dividing-large-flac-file-into-tracks?98368-Dividing-LARGE-flac-file-into-tracks=&viewfull=1#post1105553

Better use Musicbee or if you want something external, use CUEtools

mm

I have used MediaHuman AudioConverter so far, but I will give Medieval CUE splitter a try. These words in its home page caught my attention: "without decoding/re-encoding the data stream".

While I have not noticed a fault with the single tracks produced by Medieval Cue Splitter, i would probably avoid it if your existing Cue splitting program/process is working Ok.

Yes, no 'decoding/re-encoding' does sound ideal, but I believe it is this feature that results in the reported issues. It is not a bug in the program itself, but rather a limitation of what the program is trying to do.

Cue splitters that do re-encode (it is reported) overcome the issue, and providing that the source is lossless to begin with, the re-encode should not result in any degradation.

mm

You are of course aware of this last caveat, but for other readers who would consider using CUE sheets:
With a global file + CUE, the only tags that one can define at track level are:
  • TRACK,
  • TITLE and
  • PERFORMER (which maps to ARTIST within MusicBee).

I wasn't aware of this restriction, but suspected there would be some limitations such as this.

mm

Better use Musicbee or if you want something external, use CUEtools

Thanks for the previous thread links. Yes, I think I will use Musicbee to do the splitting, or CUEtools if I find using an external program somehow makes the process easier/more convenient.

I did give MediaHuman AudioConverter a quick try - the separated tracks seemed to have a slightly lower volume, but that may have just been perceived.

I guess I simply want to get things right the first time, so I don't have to revisit the task again in 10 years time.

Should I go back and re-split the single file Flac cue files that I did with Medieval splitter 5+ years ago? Probably won't have time, but it is a good thing that I kept the original single file (and why I will continue to keep the original single file).

So when I started this thread I was thinking of putting the 'extracted' single files into a subfolder that MB ignores. I think what I will do now is instead put the cue related files into a subfolder that MB ignores purely for the purpose of keeping it. Hopefully there will not be a reason for me to have to refer to it again, but one never knows.

Summary: single tracks will allow full access externally from Windows file explorer while providing better MB track level tagging.
Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 04:07:38 AM by mm

Gendji

Medieval Cue Splitter is "known" for not splitting correctly. I have been using CUETools for a long time and it hasn't steered me wrong.

It is a bit of work to do it all over again but once it's done with CUETools, that's it (meaning you don't have to worry about it any more).

I would do a test run with CUETools with the files that have clicks and see if they are gone and if the volume you mentioned is the same. If so then you know it was Medieval Cue Splitter (regarding the clicks). Then you can decide to split them once more and be done with it.

Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 09:17:09 AM by Gendji