Author Topic: Database export to EXCEL  (Read 7578 times)

jimmanningjr

Is there a way to save the music database to an Excel Doc that has the artist in a column album in a column, name of track, extension all in separate columns so I can sort and play around with the whole library in an Excel sheet...I know zilch about databasses but I did like that Media Monkey it had the option to export library to excel..Can we do this in Music Bee...This would be a nice feature....I will post this in the wishlist too.

phred

• Global Moderator
Check out this thread:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3568.msg19486
This was more for printing, but it might give you what you're looking for.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
boroda's tags plugin can export as a CSV file which could be imported into excel
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.0

boroda

jimmanningjr, I would recommend you to export track list as html table. This allows you to reimport file in Excel without any  additional questions (when you import plain text Excel asks what encoding is used, what char is used as column separator (comma or tab or something else), etc.).

jimmanningjr

This is just what I was looking for.....but it responds very slowly to a big library . I have 65,000 tracks that I am trying to export (The Tags)I tried to break my library up into Lossless and lossy and thought that it was not going to work when low and behold after about 10 minutes the preview finally previewed...but I cant seem to do both together..
I have Windows 7 pro(Free update from School!!!)
4 gigs ram
plenty of storage
ADM Athlon II 2.80 ghz
Quad core....                         This is not a slow computer and generally I have no problems...Music Bee Lags sometimes but with a big library,I think that is to be expected...Lossy took approx 10 minutes for 41,000 tracts Lossless was only about 2-3 minutes for the rest   so far i have been waiting 11 minutes for all tracks Lossy and lossless combined....13 minutes...15...I will post again if it ever preview my whole library

jimmanningjr

took Close to 25 minutes to do close to 65000 tracks ???

boroda

Yes, export tags is slow for large number of files, but the code is very straightforward and I'm afraid I cant optimize it somehow. The only thing I can do is adding progress indicator. (by the way are you exporting artworks? Suggest it may slowdown exporting significantly).

EDIT:
Generating tag table happens in 2 steps: 1st tags are retrieved from library (tracks are retrieved in almost random order) and this cannot be optimized. 2nd is sorting the table from 1st column to last column. This may be very slow if you have very many columns. Although not to sort table at all seems to be useless, I think in most cases there is no need to sort table by every column and sorting may be limited to only a few first columns. I need to think more about how to limit sorting in UI.

EDIT 2:
I've tested it now and found that tracks are retrieved according to current sorting in MB UI. That's most users need. I'll disable table sorting if <tag counter> is not used. This should speed up exporting.
Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:30:33 AM by boroda74

boroda

took Close to 25 minutes to do close to 65000 tracks ???
Could you try latest version of plugin? Please provide feedback about speed of new version.