Author Topic: Alias handling and an artist collision solution  (Read 1314 times)

Tybot

This is more of a brainstorming idea I had rather than a finished wishlist item so feel free to add input or alternative solutions.

The idea basically involves adding a new tag to the Multiple Artist Splitter and changing the way an artist search is being handled.

First, we add a new role/instrument to the MAS titled "Artist Alias". This would work the same way as Remixer and Guest Artist does currently, which means it would add a new tag called ARTIST ALIAS: "ExampleName" instead of ending up in the performer tag as PERFORMER: "ExampleName (Artist Alias)".

The above would result in the performer tag containing only "Name (Instrument)" which means that a virtual tag extracting the contents of the parentheses contains instruments only.

Second, whenever and artist search is being made, like for example middle mouse button clicking an artist name in the main panel, the search would check to see if the ARTIST ALIAS tag is present and if it is, turn the search into an AND search consisting of that tag plus the regular ARTIST tag.

This would result in files having "J. Tillman" as the ARTIST and "Father John Misty" as the ARTIST ALIAS showing up together in a search, and vice versa as he's released albums under both names. These fields would of course have to be interchangeable during the search to match both scenarios.

The alias tag could also be used to avoid collisions between artists sharing the same name. One could for example adopt Discogs naming system and put "First Aid Kit (2)" in the alias tag while keeping the artist tag as "First Aid Kit". This would probably be a bitch to code but in theory it could be extended to cover artist handling in general and not just searches, allowing for a full separation of artists even though they share the exact same name.

Keeping the instrument tag clean from anything that's not an instrument is kind of a secondary motivation for me here. The main problem I'm trying to solve is how to handle aliases and artists with the same name, so if anyone has a different solution to this issue that's achievable without changing how MB works then I'd love to hear about it.

Zak

• Global Moderator
This would result in files having "J. Tillman" as the ARTIST and "Father John Misty" as the ARTIST ALIAS showing up together in a search, and vice versa as he's released albums under both names. These fields would of course have to be interchangeable during the search to match both scenarios.
Easiest way to have a search for either name display a single track is to just add both names in the Artist tag.

Otherwise, you could maybe write a virtual tag that excludes an "Alias" entry when showing other values from the Performer tag?

and artists with the same name...
One approach is to add the artist's country of origin after their name.
Unless you have two artists with the same name from the same country...
Bee excellent to each other...

Tybot

Otherwise, you could maybe write a virtual tag that excludes an "Alias" entry when showing other values from the Performer tag?

That's not a bad idea. It should work the way I want it to in regards to the instrument list.

One approach is to add the artist's country of origin after their name.
Unless you have two artists with the same name from the same country...

I thought about it, but messing with the Artist tag tends to mess up searches for pictures, bios and lyrics, so I was looking for a way to avoid that. I'm thinking of selecting the one artist with the most albums in my library that gets to keep the original artist name, and then adding the country code to the others. As you said, that will only work as long as they're not from the same country, but I haven't run into that issue just yet and hopefully won't for some time.