Author Topic: Virtual Tag Syntax in Auto-Playlists  (Read 2609 times)

The Incredible Boom Boom

Hold the phone, everyone.
I believe this is a wish everyone using MusicBee will shower with +1s!

The ability to the use Virtual Tag syntax to create Auto-Playlists would be a downright amazing feature!

I glanced at the Config/theme show off thread a moment ago and saw the interesting tab (below) from @tragic kingdom's set up.

I'm not exactly sure what he/she means by "B-Day Release," but it got me to thinking about creating an Auto-Playlist of displaying albums/tracks on their anniversaries.
The formula is very simple:
Code
$If($Right(<Original Year>,5)=$Date($Now(),MM-dd),T,)

The possibilities are endless.

Yes, I know I can use Virtual Tags to the same effect and this may be a greedy ask in light of @Steven providing us with more VTs, but if allowing the syntax to be used to make Auto-Playlists is a relatively uncomplicated implementation, I don't see the harm. What says the community?

Mr. Trev

+1
I could see some cool autoplaylists coming out of this.

Just speculating, but I think b-day release might be songs released on the user's birthday (there was a thread on stevehoffman forums where folks were posting the #1 hit on the day they were born - kinda interesting)

boroda

yes, more number of virtual tags has been requested many times, but permanently increasing this number is not a solution. the better way is adding support for virtual tag formula syntax to more mb "places". Steven has already stated that he wants to this syntax to track info panel. maybe it's worth to add this to playlists too, and maybe to some other places.

tjinc

+1

(just configuring an auto-playlist thinking It would be easier if I could use a virtual function and then remembered this wish)

hiccup

On one hand, it does seem nice to have the concept of virtual tags extended to other elements of MusicBee (such a playlists, track information panels, or whatever), but on the other hand I see value in keeping all virtual tags gathered in the same location, and them being available for any desired panel or purpose.

For now I am leaning towards the last option:
Having enough virtual tags available for all purposes, them gathered together in a single view/panel.

But I also do see a (minor) problem with that, soon having a list of 50 virtual tags in a static and uncategorised order that you will need to scroll through to find what you need.
Perhaps a solution could lie in introducing some sort of categories of virtual tags in the virtual tags panel.
Or making it easier to create some sort of order for them.

The Incredible Boom Boom

On one hand, it does seem nice to have the concept of virtual tags extended to other elements of MusicBee (such a playlists, track information panels, or whatever), but on the other hand I see value in keeping all virtual tags gathered in the same location, and them being available for any desired panel or purpose.

For my suggestion, the "Virtual Tag" component is less important than being able to use the syntax to create a playlist.
For playlists, this could be represented by adding a "Syntax" rule that uses a form field that follows the Virtual Tag syntax restrictions.

boroda

For my suggestion, the "Virtual Tag" component is less important than being able to use the syntax to create a playlist.
For playlists, this could be represented by adding a "Syntax" rule that uses a form field that follows the Virtual Tag syntax restrictions.

this. +1

edit:

also, it seems to me that the new 'syntax' field could be easily implemented for auto-playlists.
Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 07:24:19 PM by boroda