Author Topic: Import Playlisten from Mediamonkey  (Read 834 times)

Michael1956

Hello,
I've been using the gold version of Mediamonkey for years. Since Mediamonkey is not being developed further in version 4 and I don't like the structure of the interface in version 5, I'm trying to switch to Musicbee.
Now my first question(s): I have created many playlists under MM. Is there a way (addon etc.) to import the lists at once or do I have to import each list individually.
The same question relates to export, can I export all lists in one call?

Thanks in advance for reading.
Greetings from Berlin
Michael

Translate with Google
Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 06:58:41 PM by Michael1956

hiccup

Welcome to the forum Michael1956.

First, I would suggest changing the title of your new topic so that it contains something like: 'importing playlists from MediaMonkey'.
Since that is relevant to what your question is about.

What sort of playlists are we talking about here?
MusicBee has 'static' playlists and dynamic, so-called 'auto-playlists'.
Could you explain a bit more about the MediMonkey playllists you are aiming to import/convert?

(I'm far from an expert on playlists myself, but this would probably help other forum members with more knowledge on the matter to answer your question.)

edit:
I had the audacity to edit the title of your post in my reply.
Not sure how that turns out though ;-)

Michael1956

Thanks for the tip, I've changed the title.

The import involves static playlists (m3u). Dynamic playlists could easily be created from scratch in Musibee.

boroda

Michael1956

file> playlists> import playlists

But with this import I can only import one playlist at a time.

boroda

toy can ctrl+click several playlists in import dialog.

Michael1956

toy can ctrl+click several playlists in import dialog.

Thanks, that's how an import worked.
Can I export more than one playlist?

sveakul

Why don't you give it a try and see what happens?

Michael1956

Why don't you give it a try and see what happens?

Thanks for the hint if you tell me how to mark multiple lists!?

sveakul

You indicated before that your playlists are in *.m3u format.  In that case, you can go to the MB Playlists folder (in a Portable install it's at MusicBee/Library/Playlists), and use File Explorer to mass-select and copy the ones you want to export as-is to anywhere you want.

hiccup

You indicated before that your playlists are in *.m3u format.
At the risk of playing advocate for the devil, and revealing that my experience and understanding of playlist files is lackluster, and admitting I only did a brief test on this:
Does MusicBee handle and understand .m3u playlists to begin with?
When importing such playlists, it seems they get transformed to the proprietary .mbp  format immediately?
(I couldn't find any .m3u playlist files in my libraries myself, and as a test copying some from foobar2000 into my MB playlist folder didn't seem to get them recognised)

If this is the case, there will be no multiple .m3u playlist files that can be found in MusicBee's folders, so nor can they be selected and copied elsewhere?

Michael1956

First of all, thank you for reading my articles.
I have (still from Mediamonkey) some playlists / playlists that I could now import into Musicbee. These are, for example, hit lists (1960, 1961: etc.) or set lists from concerts. If I now change these lists under Musicbee, be it creating new ones or correcting sequences, I would like to export them back to an m3u format. In Musicbee, these lists are stored in mbp format. In order not to export each list individually, I had hoped that there would be a way to mark and export all playlists (currently around 100).

Michael

Translate with Google

frankz

This export issue has been discussed already about a year ago. 

For future proofing - you'd probably want to set each playlist to "Automatically Export a Static Copy" in its settings so you'll always have fresh exported copies somewhere if you want them.  It's work but it's only once, and what isn't work? The drawback is that MB will be slightly slower to close each time.

sveakul

When importing such playlists, it seems they get transformed to the proprietary .mbp  format immediately?
If Prefs/Library/Playlists/Library Playlists has been set to "M3U" in the dropbox on the right of the "library playlists" box, you can import M3U playlists into MusicBee and they will stay M3U in the Playlists folder;  however any existing MBP format lists in the folder will automatically get changed into M3U format as well.  Yes, you can later change the setting back to "MBP" after copying them all out as M3Us and they will revert to MBP format, but who knows what custom settings will now be gone previous to the initial format change.

Michael1956:  There is no way to "mass select" an export within MusicBee as you can with a "mass import."  If you do what frankz suggests and add the "auto-export a static copy" to the settings of each existing MBP playlist, that will export a M3U of each one. 100 goes by faster than you think for just a single operation.
Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:04:22 AM by sveakul

Michael1956

I think I will change the settings for the lists from mbp to m3u. I don't (currently) need the special settings.