Author Topic: Copy vs Move behaviour  (Read 509 times)

tangotonyb

If I drag files between folders on the same drive, the default action is Move and I get a prompt. If I drag files and ANY of the files is being dragged to a different drive, MB initiates a COPY without prompting.

Is there a setting for any of this, ideally I'd like to disable COPY completely.

If not possible, did I disable the COPY message popup at some point by clicking "Don't show again", or was there never one there? If disabled, can it be restored?

boroda

mb uses windows default behavior for drag'n'drop operations (copy vs. move). you can tweak this behavior with Winaero Tweaker. search for "drag" at the top of tweaker windows to find this option.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
As per the piece of info linked here and on another thread that I can't find at the moment:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22644.msg138457#msg138457

MusicBee follows Windows's standard behaviour for moving files within or across different drives.
I could be wrong but I seriously doubt there's a setting anywhere in MusicBee that will do what you want.

Edit:
Was about to post the above when I got notified of a reply - I'm gonna post that anyway.

you can tweak this behavior with Winaero Tweaker
Will MusicBee also conform to that tweaked behaviour?
It's not something I've tried, but my initial expectation would have been that MusicBee's behaviour for the above would be independent of any tweaks done to the OS itself.
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

boroda

you can tweak this behavior with Winaero Tweaker
Will MusicBee also conform to that tweaked behaviour?
It's not something I've tried, but my initial expectation would have been that MusicBee's behaviour for the above would be independent of any tweaks done to the OS itself.

i vaguely recall that a some time ago Steven has written that mb follows windows settings, which apparently can be changed (but not using windows "settings" app). but i never tested this.

--------------

EDIT: i have tried this tweaker with mb now, but, no, mb always copy track if destination drive is different (my windows settings are to always move files).

--------------

EDIT 2: but mb follows windows drag'n'drop settings, if you drag track to windows explorer window (not to 'computer' node of mb left panel)!
Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 07:40:47 PM by boroda

Zak

• Global Moderator
As mentioned, the same rules apply in MusicBee as for Windows File Explorer:

Dragging file to same drive = Move
Dragging file to different drive = Copy

To override these defaults, regardless of which drive:
Drag files + Hold down Ctrl = Copy
Drag files + Hold down Shift = Move

I'm pretty sure any time this has come up before Steven has been adamant he won't change this behaviour, because MusicBee is following the standard Microsoft introduced almost 30 years ago.
Bee excellent to each other...

tangotonyb

I'm pretty sure any time this has come up before Steven has been adamant he won't change this behaviour, because MusicBee is following the standard Microsoft introduced almost 30 years ago.

I'm pretty sure you didn't actually READ my post lol.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure I wish I hadn't bothered.

You want to move files instead of copying?
Hold down the Shift key.
Bee excellent to each other...

tangotonyb

I'm pretty sure I wish I hadn't bothered.

You want to move files instead of copying?
Hold down the Shift key.

I'm pretty sure you didn't bother.

You want to respond to a post?

Read the post first.