Author Topic: Rating Type Custom Tag Bug  (Read 1500 times)

tjinc

MusicBee version 3.5.8509 P

When displaying a custom tag of type 'rating' in the main panel all seems to work as expected, i.e. you can click on the stars to set the rating. However this field does not then work when used in criteria in auto playlists or playlist mixers.

It appears that clicking on the stars in the main panel sets tag values of 1 to 5 (1 for one star.....5 for five stars) but, when using this field as criteria in an auto playlist, it filters on tag values of 20 to 100 (20 for 1 star.....100 for 5 stars).

Note that if the values of 20 to 100 are manually entered via the Tag Editor window then the correct number of stars are displayed in the main panel and then any auto playlist using this field as a criterion contains the expected results.

hiccup

Confirmed that it doesn't seem to work properly for auto-playlists.

frankz

I use stars in my auto-playlists all the time and extensively and it appears to work fine.  

If I click three stars in the interface to rate a song, tag inspector shows a 60 rating.  

The one issue is in auto-playlists is that in some instances it shows the graphical stars and in some instances it shows the numerical ratings.  This appears to be a visual problem rather than an operational one, because it seems to work correctly either way, and if you look in the *.xautopf file for the playlist the proper numerical values are listed there no matter how it's displayed in the GUI.

It may be relevant that I store ratings in my files, not in the database.  OP doesn't mention how the ratings are being stored.
Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 08:39:28 PM by frankz

hiccup

I use stars in my auto-playlists all the time and extensively and it appears to work fine.  
Am I wrong in assuming you overlooked this part?:

When displaying a custom tag of type 'rating'…
And also the title of the post ;-)
('custom' is the keyword here)

frankz

Am I wrong in assuming you overlooked this part?:

When displaying a custom tag of type 'rating'…
And also the title of the post ;-)
('custom' is the keyword here)
Your assumption is not wrong.  Carry on.

Steven

• Administrator
I am not sure this is a bug. How are you entering the custom tag value? If you are typing a value in the tag editor then you need to realise MB uses a 0-100 scale for ratings
So 4 stars will be represented as 80

hiccup

Only speaking for myself on my brief testing this:

I set the rating in the main panel, track details:

And the auto-playlist editor asks for a star value, not a numeric value:
Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:48:27 AM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
ok, so i can reproduce the issue when selecting a rating from the main panel

tjinc

Yes, as Hiccup detailed and you have reproduced, clicking on the rating stars in the main panel is, or shows, the issue.
If you check the custom tag values after doing so you can see that they are set to 0 to 5 and not 0 to 100.

Steven

• Administrator
This should fix the issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

tjinc

melsonic

I'm using the current MB version 3.5.8778 and have defined a custom tag of type rating (for danceability). I find the same issue as the initial poster. However, not with the auto-playlist editor, but with the "star selector" in the Browser column (1). This selector only displays a value range of 0 to 5 in 0,5 resolution.

I had therefore entered all "danceability" ratings not by clicking in the track list (2) which creates values in the 0-100 range, but as numeric values 1 to 5 in the Tag Editor (4). As the custom rating field in the track list displays both value ranges well, this has been working for me so far.

However, I had to find that it is not possible to program a filter (3) on my custom rating tag with values 0 to 5.

I conclude, that a custom tag range 0 to 100 is intended for all rating functions in MB.
Thus, the selector in the Browser column should be updated to work in that range, too.

Besides, MB is a great program!!
Thank you,
Wolfgang

PS.
Tried the patch you provided, yet it doesn't change anything. Since the current MB version is younger than the patch, it's been implemented in program already, I guess.

Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:45:14 PM by melsonic

Steven

• Administrator
this should fix the issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

melsonic

Hi Steven, appreciate the support.

Unfortunately, patch35 didn't change the situation. Also, this seem to be the same patch files you had provided May 20, last year. I had tried this already.

Let me demonstrate again: I created a "test" rating tag from scratch and used it on a single file:

In "Case 1" I set a value by clicking 4 "test" stars in the track list.
Result: "4" stars in the track list, numeric value "80" in the tag editor, "5" stars in the column browser (which is an error).
=> The column browser cannot display the value "80". It needs values between 0 and 5 to operate correctly.

In "Case 2" I set a value of "3" in the tag editor.
Result: "3" stars in the track list, numeric value "3" in the tag editor (of course), "3" stars in the column browser
=> column browser works correctly this way, i.e. in numeric range 0 to 5.

As a sidenote: It is remarkable, that the rating field in the track list shows the correct number of stars in "0 to 5" and also in "0 to 100" range.

I use the custom rating tag that I created in my library to rate "danceability" like case 2. This way the column browser works properly.
However and as previously posted, it is not possible to create a library filter with that rating tag. Library rating filter needs the "100" value range.

So, in my opinion, it is the custom rating in the column browser, that should be changed to operate on 0 to 100 range.
Everything else works fine and in good harmony.

Thanks,
Wolfgang

CASE 1:

CASE 2:
Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:56:55 PM by melsonic