Author Topic: Can MB 3.5 sort/group multi-disc tracs vertically?  (Read 386 times)

heroclix

Hello,

I've got many albums that consist of multiple discs. The disc number is stored in the tags.
After I upgraded from MusicBee 3.0 to the latest version 3.5, the sorting or grouping (not sure which term is correct) of my tracks has changed and I'm unable to get it back to how it looked before.  :'(

I have tried these settings, but could not get the original sorting back. Is this possible in 3.5? Please help.

In preferences, Layout (1), main panel, Customise Settings...
In tab "Album and Tracks" I tried to check "do not separate discs" but it didn't seem to have any effect.
In tab "Track Details" it says "grouping is enabled in the main panel (right click the header bar/ Group By)". However, this only grouped the albums not the tracks within :-(

How can I restore the original view?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
The view in ur screenshot is the expanded panel of the Album Covers View. So, the two settings that you tried out relate to views that are irrelevant to the one you are displaying.

I won't be able to have a closer look until Friday earliest. In the interim, I can only suggest that you dig up the customise panel for the Album Covers view and then play around with the settings over there.

To find the customise panel, click on the 'Albums' header menu - have a look at the Wiki if you cannot locate that panel.
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

karbock

Hello heroclix,

You asked the same question 2 years ago, comparing the behaviour in MB 3.0 vs. 3.4:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=34997

Unfortunately for you, MB 3.5 separates discs the same way as in 3.4.

I have also tried myself, after reading the suggestions proposed in 2021:
  • In view 'Album Covers' (= 'Albums'), MB will always separate discs with a blank line across all the columns, even if the disc number is not displayed, thus whatever the sub-grouping header you set (either null, or anything that does not include the disc number).
  • In view 'Album and Tracks', you can of course tick option 'do not separate discs', but here the track list cannot be split into several columns.

I suggest that you add the topic to the wishlist.
Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 02:08:24 PM by karbock

heroclix

Thank you both for your effort.
I have now understood how the different setting panels relate to the different views.
I also tried several sub-grouping header settings, but could not get to the expected result.

karbock, please forgive me for not mentioning my previous post.

Contrary to your observation, the track list in "Album and Tracks" does get split in columns.
When I tick "do not separate discs", the track list looks almost like I want it to be, except that the blank line between the tracks is missing (as the setting implies). Also, I find it much more difficult to navigate that view.

In case Mayibongwe does not find any other solution, I will follow your suggestion to create a wishlist item. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much hope in that case.

karbock

No problem, it's completely forgiven. :)

Well you're right, there are indeed columns in "Album and Tracks" (compact grid): with my settings (two browsers to the left of the main panel), there was not enough room to split in 2 columns.

As for a future wishlist item, don't give up hope...
Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 01:05:08 PM by karbock

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
In case Mayibongwe does not find any other solution, I will follow your suggestion to create a wishlist item. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much hope in that case.
Sorry, try the wishlist champ.
You must really like the old look if you still haven't managed to get used to the new behaviour after all this time...
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack