Author Topic: Make auto-completed tags adhere to stored tag capitalization  (Read 1328 times)

Tybot

Tiny issue/annoyance but I've noticed this slows down my tagging process at times and I don't see why it shouldn't behave this way instead.

Basically, the stored tag value is "Uncompromising" so I type in "un" and Musicbee autocompletes to "uncompromising". Pressing Enter here results in the tag value being saved in lower case, even though there was no such value stored in the beginning, giving me duplicate values with different capitalization.

That behavior would make sense if there were values stored consisting of both capitalizations, but if there's not, I propose that this be changed so that autocomplete uses the capitalization of the stored value regardless of what you type in.

My example here is of the Mood tag but this behavior seems consistent across other fields such as Genre, Original Artist and so on:

boroda

but it would be better to have dropdown suggestion list instead of autocompletion for every tag, like it now works for "genre" tag (and some other tags):

Tybot

That would work as well. Although I'm not a huge fan of how that search is being done currently, but I understand why steven went that way with it. If I type in "Pop" in the genre box, I get a rather long list with "Ambient Pop" being the top result, so scrolling down usually takes longer than just typing in the three letters.

boroda

No, i mean that the solution which exists for "genre" tag could be implemented for all tags, e.g. for "mood" tag. So if you type lowercased "un" in the "mood" field, the capitalized word "Uncompromising" will be shown as 1st (and maybe single) item in the dropdown list, instead of changing already typed "un" to capitalized "Un".

Tybot

No, i mean that the solution which exists for "genre" tag could be implemented for all tags, e.g. for "mood" tag. So if you type lowercased "un" in the "mood" field, the capitalized word "Uncompromising" will be shown as 1st (and maybe single) item in the dropdown list, instead of changing already typed "un" to capitalized "Un".

No, I think I got you but the list shown for "genre" tag does a "contains" search instead of an autocomplete. Here's an example of another field that behaves the same way as the genre field. I want to add the value "Remix" as a value so I start to type in "rem" and I get a really long list:

So to get the word remix with the right (stored) capitalization, I would have to scroll a long way down. Granted, this probably won't be as big of an issue with the mood or occasion tag as there are fewer values but still. Though for the sake of uniformity, having the mood and occasion fields behave in the same way as the other fields is maybe not a bad idea.

boroda

I want to add the value "Remix" as a value so I start to type in "rem" and I get a really long list:

So to get the word remix with the right (stored) capitalization, I would have to scroll a long way down.

this is only the question of what dropdown list sorting is the best. it would be better anyway than just ONE suggested autocompletion without any choice.

also, the list doesn't require to auto-change capitalization of already entered text.