Author Topic: Stupid Question: where is MB installed?  (Read 630 times)

decard

i checked both c:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (86), AND then  scanned the whole C:\ AND the whole D:\, but i can only find settings files under Users\.. and the actuall installation exes

if it was on my Desktop, i could check Folder location, but the Win10 Start Menu does not give you that option i see.

and another thing i just noticed  is that Musicbee is NOT listed in the list of installed apps

what's the story?

PS MB is working fine as we speak. :-)

Coogan

Are you perhaps running the Portable version and not the Install version?
BTW, the default location for the Install version is C:/Program Files (x86)/MusicBee
Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 05:48:10 AM by Coogan
My MusicBee Version:

karbock

In Windows 10, there's a simple way to find the location of MusicBee (or any program):
* Start MusicBee
* Open the Task Manager (shortcut [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Esc])
* In tab 'Processes', right-click on MusicBee
* Select 'Open file location'

A similar screenshot found on the internet:
http://viralmsg.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Program-file-location.jpeg

decard

In Windows 10, there's a simple way to find the location of MusicBee (or any program):
* Start MusicBee

good thought: but does not work for MB.

i checked several running apps - it works for most, but does NOT work for MB and a messging app Zalo. option foro both Properties and fFile Location are greyed out as such

decard

Are you perhaps running the Portable version and not the Install version?
BTW, the default location for the Install version is C:/Program Files (x86)/MusicBee

as already noted, i checked those locations FIRST.

if it was easier to upload, i would

it is quite weird. MB (still) playing as we speak

cheers

boroda

* Start MusicBee

i checked several running apps - it works for most, but does NOT work for MB and a messging app Zalo. option foro both Properties and fFile Location are greyed out as such

are you logged in as admin to windows? because it's working fine on my pc.

karbock

I've noticed greyed out options too for some programs having subtasks,
but in thoses cases, simply click on the '>' on the left, then right-click on a subtask.

phred

• Global Moderator
You didn't say which version of MB you have installed  - Installer, Portable, Store. Since you haven't be able to find MB's directory using the suggested methods, I suspect you're using the Store version, which is in a  hidden, protected directory.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
Everything you have described says you are running the Windows Store version.
You could probably just select Help > About and check the version number, but to confirm otherwise:

1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
2. Select Details tab.
3. Right-click one of the column headings and select Select Columns from the context menu.
4. Check the Command line option and click OK.

Check the Command line value for MusicBee and it will probably start with C:\Program Files\WindowsApp, which is where Windows Store apps are saved.
This is a hidden system folder and you won't normally be able to access it, nor want to.
Bee excellent to each other...

phred

• Global Moderator
You could probably just select Help > About and check the version number, but to confirm otherwise:
If there is an 'S' after the version number you're using the Store version. I strongly suggest uninstalling it and using the Portable version. Of if you insist, the Installer version. Portable has the advantage of containing all of MB in one directory which makes it much easier to backup and/or move to another PC by simply copying MB's directory.

Additionally, both Installer and Portable can be updated with the frequent patch updates Steven releases. Whereas the Store version rarely gets updates until the next version is released.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Música

...Portable has the advantage of containing all of MB in one directory which makes it much easier to backup and/or move to another PC by simply copying MB's directory.
Wow, phred, thank you. I had missed? or never read this distinction, this advantage, anywhere previously as clearly and simply as you write it here. It should be noted in the installation page: I had always read the "other" language on the Installation page as not for me since I have MB installed on two non-partitioned or otherwise-complex systems -a NUC and a Surface Pro, each with its own "system" drive. Years ago I suggested somewhere that a clear explanation of the versions be included/head the Installation section of the Wiki FAQ, and this meaningful clear sentence should be there.

I am now going to install the Portable version on a third system, a second NUC, this week, because of this now/finally-understood by me advantage.

I have a couple of related questions: 1) What happens if I install the latest Portable version on top of an Installer 3.4.8033 version on my current NUC? (How) Could I take advantage of this move advantage thus for my new system? (My Surface Pro already has the latest Installer installed.)
2) Might you have a similarly clear sentence for "Installer has the advantage(s)...xxx"? (In my continuing naivete, I now wonder why an Installer version is available, though I'm confident that there are very good reasons.)
Thank you.

phred

• Global Moderator
1) What happens if I install the latest Portable version on top of an Installer 3.4.8033 version on my current NUC? (How) Could I take advantage of this move advantage thus for my new system? (My Surface Pro already has the latest Installer installed.)
2) Might you have a similarly clear sentence for "Installer has the advantage(s)...xxx"? (In my continuing naivete, I now wonder why an Installer version is available, though I'm confident that there are very good reasons.)
1- Don't. MB's files will still be spread in a number of directories. Install the Portable in a NON-Windows controlled partition. Such as c:\MusicBee. Test it, configure it, uninstall the Store version.
2- The advantage to using Installer over Store is frequent patch updates.

An Installer version is available because not everyone is technically proficient enough to "unzip into a directory of your choosing that is not a Windows controlled directory.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

decard

I've noticed greyed out options too for some programs having subtasks,
but in thoses cases, simply click on the '>' on the left, then right-click on a subtask.

good idea. yues that worked
and fyi here is string ....
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\50072StevenMayall.MusicBee_3.5.8447.0_x86__kcr266et74avj\win32

and to update you on separate diuscussion re version ... when i check, it explicitly says 'Store'.
wtf are all these different versions? Portable i can understand the distinction.
see discussion under other replies

decard

If there is an 'S' after the version number you're using the Store version. I strongly suggest uninstalling it and using the Portable version. Of if you insist, the Installer version. Portable has the advantage of containing all of MB in one directory which makes it much easier to backup and/or move to another PC by simply copying MB's directory.

Additionally, both Installer and Portable can be updated with the frequent patch updates Steven releases. Whereas the Store version rarely gets updates until the next version is released.

when i check, it explicitly says 'Store'.
wtf are all these different versions? Portable i can understand the distinction.

sounds as confusing as hell

i don't recall any particular different install

so, duh?

after your comments, i will check what i see on MB site

thanks

phred

• Global Moderator
It's not rocket science. The MB website download page shows all three versions with a description for each.
https://getmusicbee.com/downloads/

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki