Author Topic: Moving music library to SSD - will MB retain settings?  (Read 473 times)

GizBee

I've copied all my digital files to a solid state drive, which I want to be my primary home for them. When I have MB scan the new drive, will it retain the sorting I've created for hundreds of names (eg, "Pelt, Jeremy" for "Jeremy Pelt")?

GizBee

I've copied all music files from X: to G: and scanned the G: drive. Now I have 2 entries for every track, one for the G: drive, and one for the X: drive which I've disconnected - clicking on those entries brings up the message "Source file could not be found." How do I get rid of the duplicate entries without deleting my sound files?

karbock

I've copied all music files from X: to G: and scanned the G: drive. Now I have 2 entries for every track, one for the G: drive, and one for the X: drive which I've disconnected - clicking on those entries brings up the message "Source file could not be found." How do I get rid of the duplicate entries without deleting my sound files?

You'll find the solution here:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15241.msg178127#msg178127

It's the easiest way, no matter how many "dead links" you have.
I've already used the feature, your audio files won't be removed, only the deprecated, duplicate entries.

GizBee

This worked - thank you very much! But oddly, when I look at the location in the file properties, they all read "N/A," whereas the path used to be shown. Not a big deal, but sometimes I need to know what folder a song is in.

karbock

That's odd, indeed. I've tried to reproduce the issue by creating a similar situation (*), but it doesn't show up in my version (MB v3.5.8501 P).

(*)
1. Changing the drive a track resides on.
2. Rescanning the library.
3. Deleting the dead link.

What's the result if you rescan a track?
Select a track -> Right click -> Send To -> File Rescan
(As I use the feature now and then, I've assigned it a hotkey: Preferences -> Hotkeys -> File: Rescan selected files.)

GizBee

MB version 3.5.8150

That worked - again, thank you very much! - and oddly, all other files I randomly checked after rescanning one file now show the path in Location.