Author Topic: Update file path in playlists?  (Read 377 times)

so_la_la

I have moved my music collection and relinked all files with the respective command. It's working.
However the playlists (.mbp) do not seem to have updated.
I had moved all files from X:\ to X:\music\.
I also sent all files to file rescan.
The Musicbee-playlists do have the following syntax (taken from Notepad++)

X:\Nirvana_1991_Nevermind\01_Smells Like Teen Spirit.mp3ÿÿÿÿTX:\Rage Against the Machine_1992_Rage Against the Machine\02_Killing in the Name.mp3ÿÿÿÿ-X:\Breeders_1993_Cannonball\01_Cannonball.mp3ÿÿÿÿ*X:\Offspring_1994_Smash\08_Self-Esteem.mp3ÿÿÿÿcX:\Mudhoney_1988_Touch Me I'm Sick   Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More\01_Touch Me I'm Sick.MP3ÿÿÿÿ+X:\Fugazi_1989_13 Songs\01_Waiting Room.mp3ÿÿÿÿ/

How can I make Musicbee update this syntax?
Thanks!
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

karbock

AFAIK, MB has a path replacement setting which is applied only when exporting a playlist to an m3u copy:
Properties -> Tab "Library" -> section "playlists" -> "map base file paths in exported playlists"

But if you have a whole bunch of mpb playlists, I would rather use a batch replacement program like "Text Crawler Free" (or similar).
As for me, I find Text Crawler easy to use, and you can perform a "find" before the effective "replace". But first, make a backup copy of your collection of mpb files to be sure.

sveakul

But if you have a whole bunch of mpb playlists, I would rather use a batch replacement program like "Text Crawler Free" (or similar).
As for me, I find Text Crawler easy to use, and you can perform a "find" before the effective "replace". But first, make a backup copy of your collection of mpb files to be sure.
Actually that wouldn't work because .mbp files are not text files.  While you can open them in a text editor and see "text" therein, there is also binary content that can be damaged by a text edit and ruin the file.

The OP could export the mbp's as m3u's, do the editing on those, and then re-import them into MB as mbp (or whatever).

so_la_la

Thank you to the both of you.
I had tried the replacement method but it really didn't work. So I might go for sveakul's solution.
However, I am rather surprised by the fact that MB would not provide any builtin solution. I mean, what is the native format mbp there for if it cannot handle these kinds of events? Following Sveakul's solution would suggest to better stick with the m3u-format in the first place.
Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 09:53:57 PM by so_la_la
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

frankz

However, I am rather surprised by the fact that MB would not provide any builtin solution. I mean, what is the native format mbp there for if it cannot handle these kinds of events?
My mbp playlists were updated with correct paths the two times I used relink music file paths.  Don't know why it wouldn't have worked if you used this tool.  It's kind of what it does.

sveakul

I mean, what is the native format mbp there for if it cannot handle these kinds of events? Following Sveakul's solution would suggest to better stick with the m3u-format in the first place.
From the Wiki: "The advantage of using MBP, MusicBee's proprietary format, is that it allows you to save some specific settings for your playlist beyond just contents and order."  I assume these would be custom fields and views for the playlists.

karbock

A difference spotted after exporting an MBP to an M3U:
the MBP can reference the subtrack of a file that comes along with a CUE sheet, whereas the M3U cannot.

so_la_la

I assume these would be custom fields and views for the playlists.
Yeah things like always export static copy etc.

so_la_la

A difference spotted after exporting an MBP to an M3U:
the MBP can reference the subtrack of a file that comes along with a CUE sheet, whereas the M3U cannot.
Hm maybe. I never use cue sheets.