Author Topic: Album Auto Tagger won't apply information found  (Read 1506 times)

veggieboy2001

When trying to auto-fill album information into Music Bee, occasionally it will find the album, but I cant apply the information found. The exclamation points read "this field is blank for the selected file" Is there any way to input the information found automatically, or do I have to slog through inputting each song myself?

Here's a screenshot:

frankz

Does MusicBrainz have composer information for the selected files?

veggieboy2001

I'm not sure how I would find that out...the information seems to be found, but it won't add it to the files

hiccup

I'm not sure how I would find that out...the information seems to be found, but it won't add it to the files
Do you believe e.g. 'composer'  is found for that album?
To me it looks like MusicBrainz doesn't have any performer/composer info for that release:
https://musicbrainz.org/release/416211cb-bc9d-4734-ac6a-62b1d88b528e

This is what a release looks like that does have such info available:
https://musicbrainz.org/release/3dac8ee4-92c8-4c9a-b28a-0a2e4f7daced

frankz

You would find that out by going to the musicbrainz site and looking.

What do you mean it won't add information to the files? I think you're confused. The mark just means that you are updating the file with information that's different than the information that's already there.

If you already have composer information in the file and the site doesn't not have any, then don't update that field and you'll retain the information that's already in the file.

You should read this:
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Auto-Tagging

veggieboy2001

When I search for the information to put in, it finds the above album. Perfect, that's what I want. But it won't save the information/apply it to the CD I'm trying to rip. I didn't want to have to input the individual tracks by hand, I don't understand why it won't accept the information it found. It says "the file(s) being edited have been updated outside if Music Bee - you may need to rescan them to ensure the most recent tag values are displayed and saved" I have no idea how to re-scan the files except to put ion the CD I'm trying to rip again, which doesn't change anything.

https://i.imgur.com/7Dy9hbU.png

frankz

Are you trying to add tags to a physical CD rather than to files on your system?  You can't tag a CD.

I think you need to be in the CD ripping area.
Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:25:51 PM by frankz

veggieboy2001

I'm trying to rip a CD to Music Bee. When I put the CD in, it is read generically "Track01.cda" and such .

I Highlight the album & search for the artist/album name (in this case "Marco Minnemann: Schattenspiel")

Music Bee then finds the album and the appropriate information like in the screenshot, but when I go to apply the tags, the album remains blank or generic.

EDIT: is there a specific forum for ripping? If so I'm sorry, please point me in the right direction.

frankz

You Can't Tag A Physical CD.  It's a CD.  Read only.

You need to rip the CD to files on your computer to apply tags.  The CD ripping tool in MB will tag the files automatically with the same information during the ripping process.

You say you're trying to rip a CD, but all of your screenshots show you in tag editing areas of MB trying to apply tags to a read-only disc, not the CD ripping area creating taggable files.

EDIT: It has nothing to do with the forum I'm talking about within the MusicBee program. Tools->Rip CD

veggieboy2001

So if the CD comes up blank, I need to rip it 1st before I can apply any tags...got it, thanks for your help

frankz

Maybe I'm hung over (I am) or you're hung over, or both, but this isn't making much sense.

First you said this
And posted a screenshot of the information that was found and decidedly didn't come up blank

Then you said this
So if the CD comes up blank, I need to rip it 1st before I can apply any tags...got it, thanks for your help

So if there are no files, only a CD, what did you mean when you said that that it "won't add it to the files"?

And if "the information seems to be found," what do you mean by "the CD comes up blank"?

Maybe if you said exactly what you were trying to do and what steps you were taking to do it and what you expected as a result, we could provide more guidance.

veggieboy2001

I'm sorry if I'm not clear (sincerely, and no not hung over lol). It finds the CD as shown, but when I hit "apply tags" it reverts to the generic blank information.

I just ripped it "blank" editing only  the artist & title, then applied the auto-tag, which is what I thought you were suggesting, and it worked for the most part. I just have to copy/past the artwork for some reason.

I imagine it might have to do with DRM

pi_zero_two

I am having the same problem - I can find a match for the CD (usually multiple matches) and select the one that matches;
Then when I click "Apply Tags" nothing happens and the tracks all remain the generick Track01 names.

So this is not a firewall issue, or a server issue -- I can find the track/artist names, the step where I try to _apply_ the _found_ tags to the disc I'm about to rip
does nothing.

Steven

• Administrator
Then when I click "Apply Tags" nothing happens and the tracks all remain the generick Track01 names.
Can you post a screenshot as I am confused what you are saying - I dont think there is any "Apply Tags" in the CD ripper dialog

edit:
actually i realise now you are referring to the album auo-tagger. The only suggestion i have is to update to v3.5 from the downloads page if you havent already done so
Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 10:06:51 AM by Steven