Author Topic: Workflow for reconciling re-ripped tracks  (Read 183 times)

mikehd

I'm in the process of re-ripping my CDs as FLAC and am stumbling a bit on the best path to manage removal of the MP3 tracks from MB db. My current workflow is:
Rip to Inbox
Send to Folder ->Move (organized)

Sometimes due to changes in tagging that occur with the new rips, I'll get two copies of the album in my MB db. If they get put in the same album then there are both the MP3 and the FLAC version in that album.

If two album copies occur, I can easily delete it from the computer node. It seems to delete the actual files from the windows file system as well.
If I get duplicates in the same album, I can use the computer node view, drill into the album, sort by ext and then delete.

Am I missing an easier way?
mikehd

Anti

I don't know if I understand your problem, which seems to be that you add the new album whilst the old one is still in your library, so they get merged if certain tags/paths are the same?

I...
· Download/rip albums to a set folder so I can view them in the 'computer' node in Musicbee.
· In the library, I find the album to be replaced and use 'Additional Tagging and Reporting tools' plugin to copy the existing tags to clipboard (including embedded album art).
· Delete the album with del > 'remove from database and computer'. It goes to recycle in case I need to retrieve it.
· Go to the computer node and paste all the tags into the replacement album (the track listing needs to be identical to the old album).
· Send to library (auto-organise set-up in library preferences).

mikehd

You understood it. The problem was my workflow (getting new tags for new rips of existing albums) made it messier than it need be, requiring more decisions to be made.

I like your flow, except I'm not necessarily happy with the old tags and album art so I think I can look as my approach as an opportunity to update tags and album art as I go.

Thank you for the reply.
mikehd