Author Topic: How to Sort Album List by Year and Track List by Track#  (Read 148 times)

kjesso

Is there any way to sort an Album List by year and Track List by track# at the same time while in "Album and Tracks" view? Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently as of the latest version of MusicBee there is no way to have separate Album and Track sorting? I played around with virtual tags, but there doesn't seem to be any way to distinguish between an album or a track by using a formula. In "Album and Tracks" view I like to sort my albums by year, and within the album itself I want it sorted by track #. The issue I have is... in one of my albums one track has a different year than the rest of the tracks on the same album. I could of course just change the year to match the other tracks, but then it wouldn't be accurate. Is there any way around this?

Currently my "Album and Tracks" view is sorted like this: Artist/ Album Artist/ Year/ Album/ Disc#/ Track#/ Title
Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 10:20:04 AM by kjesso

tjinc

Is there any way to sort an Album List by year and Track List by track# at the same time while in "Album and Tracks" view?
I do not believe that there is a way to do this.

The issue I have is... in one of my albums one track has a different year than the rest of the tracks on the same album. I could of course just change the year to match the other tracks, but then it wouldn't be accurate.
Personally, I would disagree - an album can only have one release year.

There are probably endless discussions to be had and ways of managing this sort of thing but I can only say how I look at it:
I use the <Year> tag as 'album release date' (so will only have a single value across the whole of an album).
For albums such as compilations, where tracks from many different years reside, I use the <Original Year> tag (but you could use any custom tag) to record the individual track release year.

Then, for displaying the 'track year', you might use a virtual tag such as:
$IsNull(<Original Year>,<Year>,<Original Year>)

As I have said, I am sure that there are many different ways of managing this aspect of a library and others may pipe in with with their view of the world. (For example, I am still in two minds as to whether the <Original Year> tag should be reserved to record the year of the first release of the album, in the case of remastered and re-issued versions). In the end it is up to you.

kjesso

Thanks @tjinc, I ended up doing the same as you suggested before you responded by setting the year for this one track to be the same as the rest to indicate the album release date and putting the release date of the track in the "original year" tag. This is an album I downloaded from bandcamp in flac format and this is how the tag was originally setup with the year being different for this one track. So yes I agree with your comments and thanks for responding. 🙂