Author Topic: Replacing albums: workflow & tools  (Read 431 times)

Anti

I searched for this, but didn't see anything. Apologies if it is a common question.

Is there a best workflow for replacing an existing whole album in my library with new files, transferring all the existing tags and artwork to the new files, and deleting the old album?

The two variations of this task are:
1) replacing the album with the same filetype (Eg. mp3).
2) replacing the album with a different filetype (Eg. mp3 > Flac).

Thanks.

frankz

I can tell you what I do or have done replacing lossy with lossless.  It uses the Additional Tagging Tools plug-in.

1. Tag the replacement files as close to the originals as possible.  I use mp3tag and picard because most of my files were tagged this way I usually get the same results as before.
2. Import lossless files to the inbox
3. Right-click one, search->Find album
4. Sort the resulting list, which should be both versions and in tracks view, so each version is together in the proper order.  For me and the way I tag my files, this is by the "Path" field.
5. Select the old files, rescan just in case (I've got a keyboard shortcut for this for efficiency).
6. In ATT, Copy tags to clipboard and select all of the relevant ones that are important to you (I've got a keyboard shortcut for this for efficiency)
7. Select the new version (again, must be in the same order) and paste these tags from ATT (I've got a keyboard shortcut for this for efficiency)
8. Open one of the original files and copy the artwork (if I haven't downloaded a better version with the better version of the audio)
9. Paste the artwork into the new versions (if I haven't downloaded a better version with the better version of the audio)
10. Take note of which playlists each file is in and manually add the new versions to the same playlists.  I only have 2 static playlists, so this is easier than it sounds.
11. Select and delete the old files.

Hope this helps you develop a process that works for you.
Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 06:04:35 AM by frankz

Anti

Thank you. I thought I remembered from years ago that there was a way to do this natively in MusicBee.
But the plugin works very well.
Cheers.

Steven

• Administrator
You can copy tags from files and paste them into other files directly in MB using Edit/ Copy Tags

frankz

The reasons I use the plug-in rather than the native copy are:
1. The ability to pick and choose which tags do and don't get copied
2. IIRC (and I may not), the native copy/paste doesn't carry over file data like Date Added, Play Count, Last Played, which are important to me when I replace files.

Steven

• Administrator
2. IIRC (and I may not), the native copy/paste doesn't carry over file data like Date Added, Play Count, Last Played, which are important to me when I replace files.
just for the record, there is a hot key to copy all tags and Date Added, Play Count, Last Played

frankz

OK.  Seems I did not recall correctly (IDNRC).  ;D