Author Topic: Is there a way to change the "No Lyrics" flag to "Instrumental"?  (Read 510 times)

belomeclone

"No Lyrics" is easy to confuse with "No Lyrics Found", but they have two different meanings. I would prefer if I flag a song as "No Lyrics" that the lyric box shows [Instrumental]. Is there a way to do this somewhere in MusicBee or in a .ini file?

Thank you!

phred

• Global Moderator
Assuming you're not using the Store version, with MB closed, find the file MusicBee3Settings.ini which is in the AppData folder under the MB folder.
Edit the ini file and add this line:
Code
<LYP_NoLyricsText>Spoken Word, Instrumental, or No Lyrics</LYP_NoLyricsText>
and save the file. Start MB and select a track. Then in the lyrics panel right-click and select "Mark as having no lyrics" and the lyrics panel will now show

Obviously you can use whatever text you want. This example is using what I have.

Note: I'm not certain if the line had to go in a specific place in the ini file as I've been using it for so many years I can't remember. However, mine is located just after
Code
<LyricsCustomColour>-16776961</LyricsCustomColour>
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

belomeclone

Thank you! Also, I love you!

(Seeing your signature, when will I know it's time to move to MusicBee 4? I am still on 3.4.8033. I'm a little surprised it can't auto-update, but I understand it's a small app.)

phred

• Global Moderator
(Seeing your signature, when will I know it's time to move to MusicBee 4? I am still on 3.4.8033. I'm a little surprised it can't auto-update, but I understand it's a small app.)
Development of v4 hasn't even started at this point. But v3.5 is well underway. If you're not on the Store version go to the first forum topic and download 3.5. Once downloaded and installed, come back to this message and update to the latest patch version which is linked in my signature.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

belomeclone

I swear I saw a MusicBee 4.0 topic.

I'm using Portable MusicBee. I never want non-portable software again. But how does the update/install process work? Last thing I want is to lose all my customizations!

Thank you for all your help so far

phred

• Global Moderator
Using the Portable version is the best way to go. Go here and download the Portable version (the last link) and "install" it. Then come back here and get the latest patch see my signature. If you do the install correctly, only the application files will be updated. But since you're using a Portable version, back up the entire MB folder to a flash drive or another location on your PC to have as a backup. It won't be needed, but better to be safe.

I'd like to know where you saw mention of v4 because as I said, not only does it not exist, v3.5 has been "officially" release yet.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

belomeclone

It may have been 3.5 I was thinking of. Since it's not "officially" released, I figure it's not time to update.

phred

• Global Moderator
Many, if not a majority of forum users have been using 3.5 since it became available more than a year ago. It's up to you to choose to use it or not.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

belomeclone

Hi! I'm trying out 3.5. I tried moving all my data over but I'm running into some issues.

1) If I sort by Song Title and try to find a song by typing in a letter, it's not working. I don't know why it's not working, but it's just the worst. This works fine in MusicBee 3.4. Checking off "Enable multi-character searches" by right clicking the A-Z bar (not intuitive by the way) does nothing to fix this. It continues to go to the same song no matter what I do or type. This will make Musicbee 3.5 completely unusable if it can't be fixed.

2) All the songs I marked as "No Lyrics" did not carry over to Musicbee 3.5. I don't know where that information is kept to carry it over.

I'm sure it's far down the list of things to work on, but the transition from 3.4 to 3.5 has been a bit rough. Hopefully there can be a smoother transition in the future, or a built-in app update. I did install the patch from your signature!

EDIT: And, if this is going to continue to be an issue, is there an easy way to find all "Marked as having no lyrics" files and tagging their lyrics with "[Instrumental]"?
Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:58:13 PM by belomeclone