Author Topic: Search Music: Heavy Music (f.e. Metal) + Operatic singing?  (Read 2385 times)

Anoushka

Hi,
it's not really the exact forum for this question- but maybe nevertheless somebody knows something... ;-)

Since long time -years- I am looking for bands /songs, with a Mixture of heavy music (e.g. metal) with operatic singing. But without Growl!

Music: Preferable hard & driving (positively aggressive) instead of gothic (depressive-aggressive). And it shouldn't contain so much bombast kitsch as e.g. Nightwish & Epica. A certain additional "something" in the style would also be great, e.g. Celtic influence, a bit medieval, other cultures (Indian, Russian, Turkish or any other influence).
The opera-like singing doesn't have to meet any opera standards/quality criteria - I'm not an opera listener. But the voice should be pleasant. And very important: No growling (that deep guttural male vocals)!! For example, I like the operatic singing from Silent Opera.

For example, I think Haggard is absolutely great - a great crossover between metal, classical & medieval music. Unfortunately, the guttural singing is an elementary part of their music.

Bands/projects I've listened to so far: After Forever, Avantasia, Ayreon, Beyond The Black, Celtic Frost, Darkening Light, Delain, Epica, Leaves' Eyes, Imperial Age, Nemesea, Nightwish, Opera Queen, Operose, Silent Opera, Tarja, Therion (incl. Album "Vovin").

Maybe you know something for me???
Thank you so far!
Anoushka

hiccup

While I love both classical and modern music, I think the twain should never meet.
I personally really can't stand it, irrespective if it is a classical artist trying to do 'modern', or a modern artist trying to do 'classical'.
A well, I am probably just some hardliner.

So all that I can come up with is a couple of bands that have powerful musicians and non-grunting vocals:

Mothers Finest
Muse
Porcupine Tree
Rush
Tool

Anoushka

Thanks kaivsdoom! That points in my wished direction :-) I heard it- many of them are too less heavy for my wish. But they have also some interesting songs :-)

kaivsdoom

very nice  :) . i found similar artists like amberian dawn at last fm who could also fit..  :)

Anoushka

:P I heard such a lot "similar like" /"other listeners also like" since years... But now the "similar like Amberian Dawn" on Last FM gave some more interesting artists and not like almost always just a copy of Nightwish with the bombast kitsch, but indeed different & interesting ones. What I found: Liv Moon, Время жатвы (Vremja Zhatvy), Weena, Whispering Woods. Especially Время жатвы (Vremja Zhatvy) sounds really good to me, I heard only 3 songs, but said to everyone yes! yes! yes!  ;)  But nevertheless: None of them was such a WOW like Haggard... :'(