Author Topic: Library memory limit  (Read 1161 times)

popotes

Hi you all. I'd like to know if there's a library memory limit. I mean the library that's created in Music Bee, not the memory of the tracks that are saved at the HDD.
Apologize if this topic has been already discussed. I haven't seen it at the forum.

I was recently uploading some tracks and Music Bee collapsed, deleting several thousands of tracks from the library records (tracks still alive at the HDD).

I've tried to rebuild music bee library but at some point it collapses again (tested several times), so I guess that this is due to a memory limit (if someone has a different oipinion or solution, please let me know)

If it is, is there a way to increase it?
Please be awarded that I'm not very good at computers so instructions needs to be easy to be followed.

For information , the Music Bee library weights around 1,4GB (event that tracks weights around 4TB).

Your support in this matter will be very helpful.
Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 09:10:47 AM by popotes

phred

• Global Moderator
For information , the Music Bee library weights around 1,4GB (event that tracks weights around 4TB).
What exactly do you mean by "library"? MB's use of the term is the database which contains settings, layouts, playlists, podcasts, etc. Everything -except- the music files. Can you post a screenshot of where you're seeing 1.4gb? That will help us see what you're seeing.

MB's library is a folder with the name of your library. It is under the folder in which MB is installed. For reference, I have over 40,000 music tracks taking up about 450 gb of drive space. My library -folder- is just under 7 gb of which 6.38 gb is podcasts. The MusicBeeLibrary.mbl file is 18.43 mb.

There have been reports of collections of over 600,000 tracks. Size of collection shouldn't have any effect on the library. https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5318.0

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

popotes

Thanks for supporting me. Probably I've not explained myself correctly, but you've understood the situation.
MB library folder is around 1.4 Gb (the one that contains settings, layouts, playlists, podcasts, etc. Everything -except- the music files, and by the way, I have zero postcads just music tracks but they are in a different HDD) Sorry I'm not able to upload the print screen.
Is that enough to understand the problem?

phred

• Global Moderator
The answer to your initial question is no, there is no limit on the library size.
Your library folder is not the issue as 1.4 gb for the entire folder seems quite normal to me.
Try compressing the library. Tools > Advanced > Compress Library
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About) INCLUDE THE LETTER (if any) AFTER THE NUMBER
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Tybot

I was recently uploading some tracks and Music Bee collapsed, deleting several thousands of tracks from the library records (tracks still alive at the HDD).

I've tried to rebuild music bee library but at some point it collapses again (tested several times), so I guess that this is due to a memory limit (if someone has a different oipinion or solution, please let me know)

You say "uploading some tracks" and I assume that means you were adding files to your monitored folders. So, just out of curiosity, what kind of files were you adding? Was it only music files like FLAC or MP3 or did you add folders that included artwork and log files as well?

I'm asking because I've encountered crashes before that seemed related to memory limitations/leaks but turned out to be me adding corrupt files to the library that caused MB to crash as soon as it scanned those files.

phred

• Global Moderator
also see https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22778.0
I considered linking to this thread but the OP stated they weren't very good at computes so I assumed it be out of reach.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki