Author Topic: Copy Settings To Portable Version  (Read 984 times)

Coogan

I have the full install of MusicBee. I've recently installed the portable version and would like to copy the settings from the full install to the portable version.
I tried once and everything look ok as far as the Font style and size.  Only problem I saw was that none of my playlists were shown.
Appreciate any help.
My MusicBee Version:

boroda

have you copied 'Playlists' folder from old library folder to new one? (if you have recreated library).

Coogan

have you copied 'Playlists' folder from old library folder to new one? (if you have recreated library).

I did, but for some reason it's not picking up my playlists.
If I remove the copied settings file, then my playlists will appear...   :-\
My MusicBee Version:

sveakul

The location of the playlists folder is referenced more than once in the Settings file.  The copied file from the full install contains all the paths from the past install, many of which are different in the portable install.  That's why removing the copied file suddenly make the playlists show up.

Coogan

The location of the playlists folder is referenced more than once in the Settings file.  The copied file from the full install contains all the paths from the past install, many of which are different in the portable install.  That's why removing the copied file suddenly make the playlists show up.
That's too bad.  Wish there was an easier way to transition to the portable version.
My MusicBee Version:

boroda

Compare playlist formats for old and new mb installations. format can be either .mbp (mb native rich format) or .m3u (very simple, but widely supported format). if formats are different, adjust it on new mb installation.

karbock

The location of the playlists folder is referenced more than once in the Settings file.  The copied file from the full install contains all the paths from the past install, many of which are different in the portable install.  That's why removing the copied file suddenly make the playlists show up.
That's too bad.  Wish there was an easier way to transition to the portable version.

The major part of the migration consists of copying folders and files. However, it can get tricky when it comes to adapting MusicBee3Settings.ini. After searching within the entrails of MusicBee3Settings.ini, here are my two cents: some path replacements to carry out with any text editor.

If you don't mind trying on your own:
- In your portable version, MusicBee3Settings.ini is located in subfolder AppData.
- Make a backup copy!
- Open MusicBee3Settings.ini with any text editor.
- Perform the replacements below one by one and see if the issue is solved.
- Caution: when replacing an old path by the new matching one, always ensure the new path exists in your portable version.

1) At the very beginning, for key <ENV_OrigSetPath>...</ENV_OrigSetPath>:
replace, if needed:
     C:\Users\(YourUserID)\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\
by
     (the path to your new portable version)\AppData

2) On the next line, for key <ENV_LibPath>...</ENV_LibPath>:
replace, if needed:
     C:\Users\(YourUserID)\Music\MusicBee\
by
     (the path to your new portable version)\Library

3) Replace the path to the old playlist location by the new one.
In concrete terms, replace occurrences of:
     C:\Users\(YourUserID)\Music\MusicBee\Playlists
by
     (the path to your new portable version)\Library\Playlists

Some other occurrences you can also check:

4) Optionally, you can safely remove the lines between:
<NavigatorPlaylistFoldersExpanded>
</NavigatorPlaylistFoldersExpanded>

5) Make sure you have also migrated all your plugins/skins/theatre mode files/equaliser settings, and replace
     C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee
by
     (the path to your new portable version)

---

If the issue is not solved, or if you are afraid to mess up the INI file, you can send me by PM:
* a copy of the MusicBee3Settings.ini located in your portable version (subfolder AppData)
* the exact paths to:
- your old installed MB (typically: C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee)
- your new portable MB
- your old MB library (typically: C:\Users\(YourUserID)\Music\MusicBee), which contains the Playlists subfolder
* the content of the following environment variables ([Windows]+[R] -> cmd.exe, and run command env to display them):
- APPDATA
- LOCALAPPDATA

I'll have a look at the INI file and see if what replacements must be carried out in the same stride.
Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:12:56 AM by karbock

Coogan

Thanks karbock.  I figured it would be something like that.
I'll have a look at the settings.ini this evening.
Thanks for you help.
My MusicBee Version: