Author Topic: eveyrthing but one artists shown in music explorer  (Read 985 times)

mrtorture

Hi everyone! Long time MusicBee user.
If I haven't posted anything here, is because I've been -mostly- smooth sailing with MusicBee for the past 7 years  :)
That is, except for a single issue.

I'm facing a particular issue where a single artist is not shown in my Music Explorer.
The artist is Metallica
And this is what it looks like.

You can see here I've the folder added as  part of my music library.
I can see it in Music Library tab, and even if I pull the folders out of my music library and put them again and scan, it shows up in Recently Added.

Any help to figuring this out would be appreciated.

Thanks!

hiccup

What artist is this?:

It's located where Metallica should show, and I don't see a match that resembles it in your monitored folder screenshot?

mrtorture

That would be Metal Allegiance. Metallica should come afterwards, but Metralla comes after it

Let me give you a clearer image without the red bars

hiccup

O.k. It's just that I didn't see it (Metralla) in your monitored folder, so I was wondering what it was. (taking the place where Metallica was to be expected)
Probably unrelated to the issue, but it made me wonder nonetheless.
Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 05:34:39 PM by hiccup

Acoustics

Probably Metallica is not properly tagged to be listed as 'Album Artist'. To confirm, at the top of the column if you change Album 'Album Artist' to 'Artist' do you see it?

mrtorture

O.k. It's just that I didn't see it (Metralla) in your monitored folder, so I was wondering what it was. (taking the place where Metallica was to be expected)

No worries! Figured I'd show a clearer image anyway

Probably Metallica is not properly tagged to be listed as 'Album Artist'. To confirm, at the top of the column if you change Album 'Album Artist' to 'Artist' do you see it?

Metallica is tagged both as an artist and an album artist. Here's an example of how it looks in one album (if it's properly tagged, it should be shown)

And if I switch it to Artist, same thing happens.

hiccup

No worries! Figured I'd show a clearer image anyway
It's still unexplained why there is no 'Metralla' showing in your monitored folder while it is in the Music Explorer.
There seems to be some discrepancy between the two.

Perhaps perform: Tools > Advanced > Compress Library
restart MusicBee and then: Tools > Advanced > Rescan All Files

And, you don't happen to have some library filter active do you?

mrtorture

It's still unexplained why there is no 'Metralla' showing in your monitored folder while it is in the Music Explorer.
There seems to be some discrepancy between the two.

Perhaps perform: Tools > Advanced > Compress Library
restart MusicBee and then: Tools > Advanced > Rescan All Files

And, you don't happen to have some library filter active do you?

That's because Metralla is in a different subfolder.

This is the structure of the main folders, btw.
Metralla is under [Nacional]. Metallica is in the big [OLD] folder.

And, as far as I understand, I'm not running any filters.

I've tried compressing and rescanning, but still no show.

mrtorture

have you tried to look in the inbox?

I've never used the inbox. And, afaik, I don't even have one.
Just to be on the safe side, where should I look for it?

boroda

you can accidentally have added one album to the inbox. it already has happened with somebody. turn on inbox temporary: edit> prefs> layout (1)> left sidebar> inbox.

mrtorture

you can accidentally have added one album to the inbox. it already has happened with somebody. turn on inbox temporary: edit> prefs> layout (1)> left sidebar> inbox.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, there's nothing here.

But at least we can discard this being an issue.

karbock

As we are trying to solve a complete mistery, could you check, just in case, in:
Preferences -> Sorting/Grouping -> sorting

Is the tickbox checked before 'enable custom sort values for individual artists, composers and albums' ?
If so, click on button [Artists...] and see if Metallica is not somewhere in the list with a different sort name.

mrtorture

As we are trying to solve a complete mistery, could you check, just in case, in:
Preferences -> Sorting/Grouping -> sorting

Is the tickbox checked before 'enable custom sort values for individual artists, composers and albums' ?
If so, click on button [Artists...] and see if Metallica is not somewhere in the list with a different sort name.

Hey, I found Metallica, among other artists there.

I removed Metallica from the list, and...

PRESTO!

Thank you so much! I even found out some other artists which I hadn't known were somewhat "hidden" there lol.
I'll disable that feature for the time being and then I'll go back to it for some more specific sorting.

Thanks again to you and everyone who helped me out with this!

karbock

Phew...
FYI, the 2 custom sorting lists can be appended to without your knowledge when importing files where sorting tags are present: ArtistSort, AlbumArtistSort, AlbumSort.

I've had the case several times. That's why, after downloading an album, I check with mp3tag if those cheeky tags are present and I have no qualms about eliminating them. :)