Author Topic: Importing and exporting playlists between phone and PC  (Read 2432 times)

opaz

Hi,

I'm trying to export a playlist (MPU file) from Musicolet on my Android phone into MusicBee on my PC, edit it, and then import the new playlist back into my phone but it's not working.

I export the phone playlist to Dropbox but when I import that list into MusicBee, all the songs are greyed out because MusicBee can't locate the tracks. 

I've tried everything I can think of to solve this: Edit>preferences>library>playlists - point the 'library playlist' to dropbox. Tried different locations with the playlists. Nothing works.

If I right click>search>locate in windows explorer a particular greyed out track, I notice it has an absolute address relating to its location on my phone (an SD card), so I presume this is the problem - but how to fix it? I have run out of ideas.

Any help appreciated

PC:
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, 16GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
MusicBee Version 2.5.5804

Phone:
Moto G8 Power Lite/Android 9
Musicolet version 5.1.1

phred

• Global Moderator
The first thing you should do is update MB. The version you're using is from 2015.

I'm fairly certain MB can't access Dropbox. You'll need to download the files from Dropbox to a local drive on your PC and then edit them in MB.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

opaz

phred I know you mean to do well but what you have done is relegate my question to a side water (reducing input from others) and just suggested that I update my version of the program.This is not high quality moderation. 

phred

• Global Moderator
what you have done is relegate my question to a side water (reducing input from others)
How exactly have I put your question in a "side water"? And how is that going to reduce input from others?

One of the first things when troubleshooting a software application, especially one that is more than seven years old, is to update to the current version. This allows the user to see if whatever issue they're reporting has been addressed.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

This is not high quality moderation.
No indeed, because it's not moderation at all. (Oh, so there was a little bit of it)
It's a fellow forum member trying to help you.

And you are asking for support on an almost 8 years old version of MusicBee.
So other members could be trying to help you pointing to specific MusicBee options, that then prove to be a waste of their time because your version might not yet
have that feature.
I'm not saying that is the case here, but I would also be very reluctant putting in time in effort in trying to help somebody using such an outdated version.
Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 04:19:27 PM by hiccup

opaz

Assumed phred had moved my post to a sub forum - obviously not - so I apologise.

OK I've updated to version 3.4.8 and it hasn't solved the problem. One solution would be to tell musicbee to update the location info for all the tracks but as far as I can see this can only be done track by track which is no good. Can musicbee do them all at once?

phred

• Global Moderator
Assumed phred had moved my post to a sub forum - obviously not - so I apologise.
Yes, I did move your post. You posted it in Questions, when it belongs (and was moved to) Portable Devices.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

BoringName

You could open the m3u file in a text editor like notepad or notepadd++

Push control H to bring up the search and replace window.

Just an example, lets say the folder structure for the phone is
Internal storage\Music\Abba\Waterloo\waterloo.mp3

and the folder structure on your PC is.
C:\users\user\music\abba\waterloo\waterloo.mp3

Put this in the search field
Internal storage

put this in the replace field
C:\users\user

Click replace all.

Then when you have imported into musicbee, made the changes and exported it, you will have to do the reverse to get it back to your phones directory structure.

opaz

Yes I'd heard that m3u's can be edited..

I wonder if relative paths could be inserted permanently so the file could be bounced back and forth between phone and PC without needing to be edited each time?

I'm thinking the basic problem is with Musicolet, which can't do relative paths, rather than MusicBee, which can.

I know wifi syncing is the future but judging by the posts on that subject it's totally a world of pain.

phred, no worries you were just doing your job.

BoringName

I think you might be doing it all a bit backwards.

Just plug your phone into your PC with a USB cable and it will show up as a device in musicbee. From there you should be able to config musicbee so it syncs the playlist and music to the phone.

opaz

ah ok, that could work (in the later versions of musicbee - sure didn't in earlier ones)

but I've realised cheaper phones like my moto play have finite number of times you can stick a micro usb cable into it before it bends out of shape and starts to malfunction so try to save that for charging up

So looking for wireless solution ideally. What I do now is export playlist from MusicBee to Dropbox then on my phone navigate to the playlist and it gives you the option to open the file with musicolet and hey presto.

phred

• Global Moderator
MB Wifi Sync app in the Google Play Store.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki