Author Topic: How can I MANUALLY assign a "genre" from the predefined genres?  (Read 384 times)

Dietmar

How can I MANUALLY assign a "genre" to a track that can be selected from the predefined genres? Predefined in Settings > Tag (2) > Genres.
It would be perfect if when I type in the "Genre" field (or right-click) a list of genres is automatically displayed for selection from which I can take an entry.
Would that be possible?

Currently only "recommended genres" are displayed for selection if the title can be determined.
A manual selection from the genre list does not work for me.

thanks

hiccup

MusicBee's default genre hierarchy table contains 1175 genres.
If you use my (optional) 'enhanced genre hierarchy' table, that one now contains close to 3000 genres.

How are you envisioning your request?
Scrolling through thousands of genres to select one will not be fun…

Dietmar

yes, scrolling through thousands of tags is not practical. What is the normal procedure?

Is it common to manually type in your own individual "genres" over and over again?
Can these own genres be edited or renamed centrally in MusicBee?

Maybe in the future - while I'm typing - suitable suggestions from the previously available central genres can be displayed for selection?

hiccup

yes, scrolling through thousands of tags is not practical. What is the normal procedure?
Sorry, there is no normal.
The matter of genres and digital music managers is still un-treaded territory in many ways.

Maybe in the future - while I'm typing - suitable suggestions from the previously available central genres can be displayed for selection?
MusicBee already does that.
For the songs existing in your library, the genres known for those songs should come up when typing a genre entry.
But I am guessing the songs in your library don't have the thousands of genres I was speaking of earlier, and you are trying to add a genre that's not yet known in your library?

What you could do:
I have created a test set of tracks that all together contain all the (near 3000) genres that are in my 'enhanced genre hierarchy' table.
You can find it here: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=35266.msg207242#msg207242

If you load these tracks into your library, I am guessing you should then get suggestions-as-you-type for all of them.
Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 07:26:39 PM by hiccup

Dietmar

yes, i'm filling the library with unknown songs. No genres are displayed for this.
Your test set of tracks works very well and apparently even globally in all libraries.
In the "tag hierarchy explorer" I can see all your genre tags.
However, when I add new genres (to yours) in the tag hierarchy explorer, they don't show up in the song for selection. Is this on purpose or am I making a mistake?

It would be great if I could edit the genre tags in the tag hierarchy explorer and see the result when editing a song's genre.

hiccup

B.t.w., you will probably want to set a filter for your library to exclude the 'genre test' files, so you can filter them out when you are not doing tagging work, but just want to use the genre browser to find your music.
Navigating through 3000 genres in the hierarchy browser that for the most part lead to the test tracks will not be fun.

Do you mean you want to add new genres that are not in my +/-3000 genres list?
I would be curious what genres that would be exactly?

If this is indeed the case, you will need to edit the hierarchy xml file yourself to add them.