Author Topic: Can't sync with device  (Read 2407 times)

skywhite

When synchronizing with a device (Walkman), only songs with long artist names cannot be synchronized.
The error is displayed as:
"Copy Failed - Unable to determine requested value. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x802A0006)"

As a concrete example, the artists of Japanese anime songs are as follows.
"篠ノ之箒 (日笠陽子), セシリア・オルコット (ゆかな), 凰鈴音 (下田麻美), シャルロット・デュノア (花澤香菜), ラウラ・ボーデヴィッヒ (井上麻里奈), 更識楯無 (斎藤千和), 更識簪 (三森すずこ)"

Is it a specification of Musicbee that long artist tags cannot be synced?
Or please let me know if there is a workaround that can synchronize with the artist name as it is.

Since I am Japanese, I will also write the original text of the above question just in case.
デバイス(ウォークマン)と同期する際、アーティスト名が長い楽曲だけ同期できません。
エラーとしては、次のように表示されます。
「Copy Failed -要求された値を判別できません。(HRESULT からの例外:0x802A0006)」

具体的な例として、日本のアニメ楽曲のアーティストで次のものになります。
「篠ノ之箒 (日笠陽子), セシリア・オルコット (ゆかな), 凰鈴音 (下田麻美), シャルロット・デュノア (花澤香菜), ラウラ・ボーデヴィッヒ (井上麻里奈), 更識楯無 (斎藤千和), 更識簪 (三森すずこ)」

長いアーティストタグを同期できないのはMusicbeeの仕様なのでしょうか?
それともアーティスト名はそのままで同期できる回避策などあれば教えてほしいです。

boroda

the problem is not the tag length itself, but that filename is always somehow restricted (even though mb supports long paths).

i'm using the following formula for file organization template (you could use similar formula for track organization rules on device syncing):

<Album Artist>\$If($Left(<Album>,25)=<Album>,<Album>,$Left(<Album>,24)…)\<Disk-Track #> $If($Left(<Title>,30)=<Title>,<Title>,$Left(<Title>,29)…)

skywhite

thank you.

I think what you wrote is the rule that if the 25 characters from the left of the album name match the full album name, it will be sent as is, otherwise it will be shortened to 24 characters from the left and sent. but when I tried
"You may need to change your sync settings on your device."
An error was displayed as above and synchronization could not be started.

Since it was the artist name that seemed to have a long name and an error, I will describe the file organization template I tried here.
Music\$If($Left(<album artist>,25)=<album artist>,<album artist>,$Left(<album artist>,24)\<album>\<disc-track number> - <title >

If you know the reason, I would like to ask for your advice.

boroda

Music\$If($Left(<album artist>,25)=<album artist>,<album artist>,$Left(<album artist>,24)\<album>\<disc-track number> - <title >
you have forgotten to write closing bracket for $If statement (after $Left function):

Music\$If($Left(<album artist>,25)=<album artist>,<album artist>,$Left(<album artist>,24))\<album>\<disc-track number> - <title >

skywhite

Thank you very much.

I was able to sync without issue.
When I checked on the device side, the artist tag itself was not limited to the number of characters.

Does the method you taught restrict only the path to be copied?
I would like to know more about the cause of this problem, but is the reason for the error that the path has reached the maximum number of characters?

boroda

yes, this formula restricts only parts of path (only one part related to album artist in your variant), not any tag because there are no problems to have as long tag values as you need.

skywhite

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

By the way, is there a limit to the number of characters in the path that causes an error in synchronization for each artist or tag?
Or is there a limit with the whole full version path?

boroda

it depends on what os your device uses. but i don't know anything about restrictions of android and ios anyway. filename length is almost definitely restricted (windows ntfs limit is 255 characters, suggest that most other modern file systems (including file systems of devices) have the same limit). file path length is practically not restricted in windows, but this "unlimited" approach requires special support by application (there is ~260 characters limit on file path length for "old" applications, but not for musicbee). suggest that unix-based oses (android and ios) have no practically important limit on file path length.

skywhite

Thank you for your many answers.

I understand that there are various restrictions depending on the OS.
However, according to Mr. Boroda's explanation, I can understand that Musicbee has unlimited special support by the application, so I think I can succeed without limiting the number of characters and synchronizing like this time. But it's strange.

For the time being, I was able to synchronize without problems, so I am very grateful. :D

boroda

I can understand that Musicbee has unlimited special support by the application, so I think I can succeed without limiting the number of characters and synchronizing like this time. But it's strange.
not at all, filename length is anyway limited. and filename/folder name is any part of file path between backslash character "\". That's why you need to limit the length of folder name, which is related to album artist (for so long album artist name).

also, keep in mind that every japanese hieroglyph consists of a pair of unicode "characters" for utf-16 encoding, and of 3-4 unicode "characters" for utf-8 encoding. assume that all modern mobile devices use utf-8 encoding for file/folder names.
Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 12:24:15 AM by boroda

skywhite

Thank you!

So that's it. Even if there are no restrictions on the file path, there are definitely restrictions on the file name/folder name, and in this case, the album artist part was too long, and an error occurred at that part.

Mr. boroda is also very knowledgeable about Japanese hieroglyphs, which was very helpful.

I'm really thankful to you!