Author Topic: replaygain and adjust calculate replaygain question  (Read 1183 times)

gaiastar

Hi
in past I was used to normalize (with audacity ) or amplify (with goldwave ) volume at 98% or 99% , let's say -0.10dB

when I invoke Analyze Volume i have calculate replaygain i can set between -6db to +6dB

can I ask you if i set +3dB  does it adjust only to the album in the dialog or is it global for every replaygain tracks?

do you use calculate replaygain values (seen they don't sound  so loud like a song normalized with audacity at -0.10dB )?
happy new year
MusicBee is the best audio player ever made, Love it ♫♫

The Incredible Boom Boom

MusicBee should only add ReplayGain values to the tracks you've selected to process.

gaiastar

MusicBee should only add ReplayGain values to the tracks you've selected to process.
Hi The Incredible Boom Boom
but what i have never understood is the calculate replaygain (red arrow)
1)
does musicbee save in the tag or database for each time i change the calculate replaygain (for example different preamp everytime i san for volume)?
2)
is there a way to invoke  the calculate replaygain (red arrow) ?
can't find an answer
seeing I can't find the "adjust calculate replaygain values" (should be like a preamp) in the global settings or can't find how change it
and in the help/guide there is nothing Analyze_Volume
thanks
screenshot just an example
Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:45:10 AM by gaiastar

phred

• Global Moderator
does musicbee save in the tag or database for each time i change the calculate replaygain (for example different preamp everytime i san for volume)?
It's saved as a tag. To check, select the album or track and open the Tag Editor. Then open the Tag Inspector and look for "Replaygain_Album_Gain" and/or "Replaingain_Track_Gain."

Not completely sure I understand the question. In your screenshot you can set the gain adjustment you want and that becomes the default for each time (thereafter) that you analyze the volume.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gaiastar

Not completely sure I understand the question. In your screenshot you can set the gain adjustment you want and that becomes the default for each time (thereafter) that you analyze the volume.
Hi
my question is about "adjust calculate replaygain values" , in the screenshot with the red arrow
1) is a global setting ? It does "adjust calculate replaygain values"  for all the songs I want to scan ? For example 10 albums
2) is a setting of a bunch of songs (album) selected  to scan replaygain
3) can I change "adjust calculate replaygain values"  for all the songs with replaygain or do I need to do with all the songs i have used "adjust calculate replaygain values" + 5dB?

to make simple , let's say I want to scan 10 albums and set  "adjust calculate replaygain values"  at +2.0dB and I want to scan anther albums and set the "adjust calculate replaygain values"   at 0.0dB ,and other albums at -1dB
4) is  "adjust calculate replaygain values"  a global settings or work each time i scan volume and set the + or - dB
hope I was clear , i have used google translator
sorry for my poor english
maybe would be nice to ask to Steven , because i have searched and does seem not very clear for many users
thanks

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for clarifying. The adjustment is global until you change it. "Global" in the sense that albums/tracks that already have some adjustment, or no adjustment at all, will -not- be changed unless you specifically select them and run the analysis.

In your example, you select ten albums and adjust by +2.0. ONLY those albums/tracks will be adjusted. Nothing before doing this will be changed. If after adjusting the ten albums you want to apply an adjustment to another five albums, they will also be at +2.0 UNLESS you change the adjustment before hand.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

gaiastar

Thanks for clarifying. The adjustment is global until you change it. "Global" in the sense that albums/tracks that already have some adjustment, or no adjustment at all, will -not- be changed unless you specifically select them and run the analysis.

In your example, you select ten albums and adjust by +2.0. ONLY those albums/tracks will be adjusted. Nothing before doing this will be changed. If after adjusting the ten albums you want to apply an adjustment to another five albums, they will also be at +2.0 UNLESS you change the adjustment before hand.
hi @phred
so i can have some albums with "adjust calculate replaygain values" set at 0.0dB and others +2.0dB and others albums at +5.0dB ?
the problem could be clipping , and some albums with "adjust calculate replaygain values"  at 0.0dB do sound very weak , very low volume
thanks a lot , sorry for my very poor english  :-[

phred

• Global Moderator
so i can have some albums with "adjust calculate replaygain values" set at 0.0dB and others +2.0dB and others albums at +5.0dB ?
Yes, that's correct.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

gaiastar

Yes, that's correct.
Hi @phred
I really appreicate it a lot
may I say one thing ?
would be very cool have some global settings in the dsp settings
like increase the volume of the songs with replaygain according the clip , so they could sound all loud  or at the same volume but not weak/low volume
i have asked but I guess Steven doesn't want to add such feature
best regards

The Incredible Boom Boom

It's my opinion the best practice is to lower the ReplayGain value, as well as have all the music in your library be analyzed at a consistent (meaning the same) value. If you're lacking appropriate volume in some songs, then either your rip settings need to be adjusted or you need to acquire songs in better quality than what you currently possess. Your audio chain could also be presenting issues. In either case, I believe you can adjust gain in the EQ settings, which should help you out.

MotleyG

...like increase the volume of the songs with replaygain according the clip , so they could sound all loud  or at the same volume but not weak/low volume...
This defeats the purpose of Replaygain. The concept is to provide somewhat similar reference levels to each song in your library, if you have calculated Replaygain for all songs (I recommend it IMO). Part of that concept is to also ensure the tracks keep their dynamic range intact (Track values) and also maintain their range versus tracks from the same Album (Album values).

Setting the target reference levels too high can cause clipping. The default is -18dB which may be a touch too low for the average user. But raising this to -6dB or higher is probably where you are finding the clipping. I also wouldn't recommend moving the Replaygain slider to an additional +6dB for these tracks that have already been set too high. This could also be the reason other tracks that do not have the Replaygain values sound much quieter for you.

gaiastar

...like increase the volume of the songs with replaygain according the clip , so they could sound all loud  or at the same volume but not weak/low volume...
This defeats the purpose of Replaygain. The concept is to provide somewhat similar reference levels to each song in your library, if you have calculated Replaygain for all songs (I recommend it IMO). Part of that concept is to also ensure the tracks keep their dynamic range intact (Track values) and also maintain their range versus tracks from the same Album (Album values).

Setting the target reference levels too high can cause clipping. The default is -18dB which may be a touch too low for the average user. But raising this to -6dB or higher is probably where you are finding the clipping. I also wouldn't recommend moving the Replaygain slider to an additional +6dB for these tracks that have already been set too high. This could also be the reason other tracks that do not have the Replaygain values sound much quieter for you.
Hi MotleyG
I got the purpose of Replaygain , but there are other players that can do it on the fly using the replaygain values , for example aimp can play all at the same volume and not so weak
I 'm big fan of Musicbee , I would a feature like it
thanks