Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 917488 times)

redwing

Excellent! Did some tests and it's working flawlessly so far.
Can you add artwork and lyrics field too?

boroda

No. At the moment artworks and lyrics tags are read-only. May be Steven could make them writable.

redwing

OK.

There are some problems with handling artist and album artist fields.
- It doesn't write multiple artists correctly. Only display artist are copied correctly with existing multiple artist values unchanged.
- It doesn't handle well when album artist/sort artist/sort album artist fields are empty as it just writes down artist value to sort artist and sort album artist field. Shouldn't it do so only when those fields have distinct values?

redwing

Also, sub-artist fields (guest artist, performer, remixer) are copied to artist field instead of its own sub field.

redwing

How about adding a setting that allows single to multiple copy & paste tags? The use case would be you got a whole album and want to copy "all but title" fields from a single track you already had and tagged completely to the rest of album.

Maybe, instead of adding the setting, it could pop up a confirmation dialog only for single to multiple cases.
Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:30:40 PM by redwing

redwing

Another suggestion. Probably each user has his/her own tagging scheme, using only specific fields for all collection. Then separating ticked fields and unticked fields could ease managing the command like the following mockup:

redwing

I'm sure you know this but just to make sure: composer/display composer fields have the same issue as artist field when it has multiple values, and sort composer field has the same issue as other sort- fields in that it fills with composer value when it's blank.

boroda

All is fixed and done except for:

- It doesn't handle well when album artist/sort artist/sort album artist fields are empty as it just writes down artist value to sort artist and sort album artist field. Shouldn't it do so only when those fields have distinct values?
1. For Album Artist: its an MB bug, I've reported it to Steven ans is waiting for his answer.
2. For Sort Artist, Sort Album, etc.:  these tags are just custom tags and may be actually any of custom tags or may not exist at all. So I'm afraid I cant make special handling for them (though MB internally recognizes these tags and handles them in a special way).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5bzxxvxia6fckf/mb_TagTools_2014-08-30.zip

redwing

Thanks, but I keep getting this error when trying to paste and it can't paste.

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at MusicBeePlugin.PasteTagsFromClipboardPlugin.pasteTagsFromClipboard()
   at MusicBeePlugin.PasteTagsFromClipboardPlugin.PasteTagsFromClipboardPlugin_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

Also can you make the two field lists always sorted alphabetically? Currently it does only when relaunched. I would prefer the two lists to be in a single window with one scroll bar like the previous version, but this is just personal opinion.

redwing

2. For Sort Artist, Sort Album, etc.:  these tags are just custom tags and may be actually any of custom tags or may not exist at all. So I'm afraid I cant make special handling for them (though MB internally recognizes these tags and handles them in a special way).

If this issue can't be addressed, then consider disabling those fields as no one would want to have artist and album artist values copied to those sort fields.

boroda

1. For Album Artist: its an MB bug, I've reported it to Steven ans is waiting for his answer.
Actually it was a plugin bug and its fixed in the version above.

redwing

Now it's working fine. I can confirm that album artist, multi-artist/composer, display artist/composer, sub-artist issues were all sorted out. And single to multiple cases are handled well. Great job!

Now some remaining issues:
- Often newly pasted files don't seem to have changed at all in their tag values, when seen from the main panel and tag editor. But if I rescan them, MB says it can't locate the files. After removing them, the pasted files show up correctly. This never happens with MB's internal Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
- If you can't fix the sorting issue for the two field lists, probably the previous version would work better. Currently it's really confusing to configure the setting because the fields are not sorted alphabetically, hiding somewhere in two windows.
- Would be nice if sort-fields could be handled properly just like MB's internal Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
- Would be nice if artwork and lyrics could be copied as well just like MB's internal Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Anyway, thanks so much for implementing this useful tool! I'm sure people will appreciate this great addition.
Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:56:23 PM by redwing