Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 917612 times)

boroda

Filtering feature is now working fine. But I don't see much differences in massive editing with the previous version.
I set up two presets auto-applied to two different playlists and tried two sets of massive tag editing with 500+ and 1000+ tracks...
Could you untick filters of ASR presets and redo massive tag changing to see if there is much difference in speed? I need to know if slowdowns are caused mainly by filetring by playlists or by ASR itself.

boroda

in my case white font if the background is red (or in general: if the background isnt white).
I'm afraid that white font will be indistinguishable on standard unselected white background.

P.S.
I'll see if there is possibility to use windows scheme colors instead of fixed colors.

redwing

Filtering feature is now working fine. But I don't see much differences in massive editing with the previous version.
I set up two presets auto-applied to two different playlists and tried two sets of massive tag editing with 500+ and 1000+ tracks...
Could you untick filters of ASR presets and redo massive tag changing to see if there is much difference in speed? I need to know if slowdowns are caused mainly by filetring by playlists or by ASR itself.

With two playlist-filtered auto-applied presets, entering a value in a field of 953 files took 58 sec for MB and 3 min 8 sec for plugin (to confirm with high CPU usage).
After unticking filtering option for the two presets, removing the same value took 1 min 40 sec for MB and 3 min 40 sec for plugin.
Looks like there's no differences in speed between filtering or not.

boroda

@redwing
Does this version eliminates UI slowdowns?

EDIT: link is updated
Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:22:39 PM by boroda74

redwing

@redwing
Does this version eliminates UI slowdowns?

With that version,

Ticking: 44 for MB, 3:38 for plugin
Unticking: 45 for MB, 3:45 for plugin

So it improved MB's speed when not filtering, but plugin's speed was almost the same.

boroda

@redwing
I think I cant improve the *speed* of ASR, but I intend to improve *UI responsiveness*. My test showed that current version runs fine until you reopen (and then close) ASR window. In last case UI just freezes. Its definitely some bug, not just the performance issue and I'll try to get rid of it.

redwing

With that edited version,

Ticking: 1:00 for MB, 3:36 for plugin
Unticking: 0:46 for MB, 4:33 for plugin

@redwing
I think I cant improve the *speed* of ASR, but I intend to improve *UI responsiveness*. My test showed that current version runs fine until you reopen (and then close) ASR window. In last case UI just freezes. Its definitely some bug, not just the performance issue and I'll try to get rid of it.

Sounds reasonable. Based on my (unreliable) test, the previous of the last version works best.

WimYogya

in my case white font if the background is red (or in general: if the background isnt white).
I'm afraid that white font will be indistinguishable on standard unselected white background.

P.S.
I'll see if there is possibility to use windows scheme colors instead of fixed colors.

Fine, take your time and let me know. No hurry.
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Thank you for your work on this
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

New version of plugin is released. See 1st post for details.

Tried the new version. Now opening and closing down the plugin's pane during background running of auto-applied presets doesn't lead to freezing. But all buttons including "save all" and "save all and close" don't work except tick boxes, so I had to click on Windows' close button to close down the pane. But that's not a big deal because it's now working stable and there's no need to open the pane while it's working. Thanks for your hard work!

WimYogya

An update after a lot of tagging work, with and without ASR.
First of all: thanks for the great tool, Boroda! I save SO much time, compared to previous managers/plugins!

Having said this, allow me a few remarks/requests/issues:
What I really miss most is a small feature: when doing LOTS of editing it is a pity that the Search & Replace (and other?) command can not memorize its most recent settings (looking for ... in ... and replace with ...). When cleaning up 1000+ titles of all kinds of mess, it is annoying that after every new instance I have to close S&R, and scroll down to TITLE again, and retype the search/replace values, even if there is just 1 character difference. Please store the settings (at least during one MB session) and store the location as well.
With the copy tag command I sometimes have a problem. I created a 'virtual performers' field (combining vocalists + instrumentalists + choir + orchestra + conductor) and then I use 'copy tag' to copy this often long chain of people to a (non-virtual) field 'performers' where MB can split the chain in individual contributors again. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes the copying goes wrong: most tracks are ok, but some remain empty, even after repeated attempts. There was nothing in the empty field before. What can be the problem?
The performance for auto-application is a lot better than it was, but I still prefer to use them non-auto only. The column headers are sometimes still shaking a bit, performance is slow and some tasks must wait till the auto-app is done.
I have experimented a bit with the 'change case' command. Even not enough, I already have the feeling that it could (should?) be made more fancy. I cannot come with a proper proposal yet, but I am thinking of 'language groups', so that a user can define by language what words he wants capilatized or not. It seems very difficult to make 'one box' that should serve all languages. Especially with short words like a, à, de, der, des, di and words with an apostrophe the rules vary per language, so it would be nice if the user has an option to select which language/rules to apply. Possible?

Keep in mind: I first of all want to express apprecation about the plugin. And in fact just my remark no 1 is about something I hope can be changed/solved soon. See if you have time for it. The rest can wait.
WimYogya

boroda

@WimYogya
Thank you for good words.

What I really miss most is a small feature: when doing LOTS of editing it is a pity that the Search & Replace (and other?) command can not memorize its most recent settings (looking for ... in ... and replace with ...). When cleaning up 1000+ titles of all kinds of mess, it is annoying that after every new instance I have to close S&R, and scroll down to TITLE again, and retype the search/replace values, even if there is just 1 character difference. Please store the settings (at least during one MB session) and store the location as well.
If you mean standard Search & Replace command (not ASR), then it's native MB command and have no control over it. Ask Steven to enhance this command.

With the copy tag command I sometimes have a problem. I created a 'virtual performers' field (combining vocalists + instrumentalists + choir + orchestra + conductor) and then I use 'copy tag' to copy this often long chain of people to a (non-virtual) field 'performers' where MB can split the chain in individual contributors again. Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes the copying goes wrong: most tracks are ok, but some remain empty, even after repeated attempts. There was nothing in the empty field before. What can be the problem?
It very strange and I have no clue for this. I've never seen such behavior myself.

The performance for auto-application is a lot better than it was, but I still prefer to use them non-auto only. The column headers are sometimes still shaking a bit, performance is slow and some tasks must wait till the auto-app is done.
I'm afraid I cannot make plugin commands more responsive when ASR is running in background.

I have experimented a bit with the 'change case' command. Even not enough, I already have the feeling that it could (should?) be made more fancy. I cannot come with a proper proposal yet, but I am thinking of 'language groups', so that a user can define by language what words he wants capilatized or not. It seems very difficult to make 'one box' that should serve all languages. Especially with short words like a, à, de, der, des, di and words with an apostrophe the rules vary per language, so it would be nice if the user has an option to select which language/rules to apply. Possible?
Theoretically possible, but actually a dictionary of excluded words for every language is needed. Who will make such dictionaries? Windows and .net by themselves don't allow to retrieve list of short service words for a given language :(

WimYogya

If you mean standard Search & Replace command (not ASR), then it's native MB command and have no control over it. Ask Steven to enhance this command.
Yes, that is what I meant - will ask Steven about it. Thanks.

It very strange and I have no clue for this. I've never seen such behavior myself.
I can't find a pattern either. Normally all is normal. Sometimes one or two tracks 'refuse' to copy the v-performers to the performers, sometimes a whole cd in a pack of 10 cd's misses the performers. Re-applying the app sometimes helps, often manual copying is the only solution. Strange.

I'm afraid I cannot make plugin commands more responsive when ASR is running in background.
Personally I can live with the manual application of the presets. Just want to let you know that things improved but for me not fast/stable enough yet.

Theoretically possible, but actually a dictionary of excluded words for every language is needed. Who will make such dictionaries? Windows and .net by themselves don't allow to retrieve list of short service words for a given language
Don't understand your last remark. No one has to create dictionaries, to my opinion. As long as they can select a (customizable labeled) language and per language enter the words that they wish to exclude. For instance: as a Dutchman I wished I could set up 'casing' rules for my Dutch songs which sometimes are different from (or non-existent in) other languages. Same goes for classical music in German or Italian. But maybe there are programming limits in providing this, don't know.

WimYogya