Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 929323 times)

boroda

The matter is that I don't experience any slowdowns on my PC, so let me ask some questions:  

1. What is specs of your PC?
2. What is number of tracks in your library?
3. Do you mean auto applied or manually applied 'add zero' preset?
4. What number of tracks were edited when MB had been down?

redwing

@WimYogya:

Just make sure that when you update this plugin with the new version, delete the old ASR presets folder entirely and copy new folder. And after activating the plugin, delete all existing presets in the window and import new presets since those presets have been updated too.

redwing

Bug report:

Having the swap preset only auto-applied, after editing a rating for a (classical) track I noticed the preset all of a sudden started to run (according to status bar) while consuming most of system resources. Since I did not edit any composer tag, I opened the plugin window and managed to stop it to auto-apply. After reviewing tracks, it turned out that it did not edit any track as opposed to the status bar info. After this, I found the playlist selection box's gone again.

WimYogya

@boroda
@redwing

Seems that the instruction to remove the old folder/presets and re-import from the new folder did the trick.
So far all works as expected, smooth and fast. Will experiment more to see if behaviour remains this pleasant.

Tip:
Wouldn't it be a suggestion to add this instruction to remove old folder/presets when installing an update at the top topic?

Boroda's questions:
1. 6 months old PC with intel core i3-2100 cpu @ 3.10 ghz - 3.10 ghs - ram installed 8 gb - 64 bit OS - windows 7 home premium w SP 1
2. 113.000 tracks
3. the problem that seems solved now occurred when 'auto-apply' adding zeros was activated, but the first run was done manually and smooth. after that all went wrong.
4. I experimented with batches of 10-750 tracks. Don't know what amount exactly triggered the problem. I would say: few hundred tracks. But just now a smooth run with 2750 tracks was possible.

Requests:
1. Would it be possible to add the option 'any' to (all or some) presets, in the field selector. Then you don't have to do multiple runs of a preset to clean/change the track(s) but all fields are expected in one time.
2. Would it be possible to let some/all panels to remember their position on the screen? Especially the (normal) Search & Replace: it always pops up in the far left corner, that means: dragging tot the center of my wide screen every time.
3. Would it be possible to let S&R remember the last used settings (field, search string, replace string). Easier if you are working with thousands of tracks if you cannot keep the panel open permanently because of other tasks.
All these are just ideas, suggestions. No hurry. Take your time. And see what is possible, handy, urgent. You are the expert, not me....
Thanks!
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

redwing

Bug Report 2:

Just now a similar, but a little worse, thing happened again. Editing rating of a track invoked a full running of the auto-applied preset. This time it froze MB, so I had to end the process with Process Manager.
The preset edited only one track, wrongly, that already had a right tag: from "Verdi, Giuseppe" to "Verdi, 1Giuseppe".
Playlist selection box was gone again.

Edit: To be precise, it didn't freeze MB unlike the previous version. I couldn't exit the plugin's window to return to MB because all keys didn't work. But on the Process Manager MB was running all right even though I can do nothing with it.
Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:40:40 AM by redwing

boroda

Tip:
Wouldn't it be a suggestion to add this instruction to remove old folder/presets when installing an update at the top topic?
I've written almost this in "What's new?" section of 1st post. Probably I'll write that this step is obligatory in bold text.

1. 6 months old PC with intel core i3-2100 cpu @ 3.10 ghz - 3.10 ghs - ram installed 8 gb - 64 bit OS - windows 7 home premium w SP 1
Your machine is perfect, better than mine.

2. 113.000 tracks
This may cause some problems because I'm testing plugin with ~14.000 tracks (size of my library).

1. Would it be possible to add the option 'any' to (all or some) presets, in the field selector. Then you don't have to do multiple runs of a preset to clean/change the track(s) but all fields are expected in one time.
I can't imagine how such universal command like ASR can deal with all tags simultaneously. Where should it write changed values if there may be up to 5 different source values in every ASR preset?

2. Would it be possible to let some/all panels to remember their position on the screen? Especially the (normal) Search & Replace: it always pops up in the far left corner, that means: dragging tot the center of my wide screen every time.
Yes, I can implement this. I was already thinking about this. But plugin hardly will remember windows positions between MB sessions.

3. Would it be possible to let S&R remember the last used settings (field, search string, replace string). Easier if you are working with thousands of tracks if you cannot keep the panel open permanently because of other tasks.
Its possible too. Later.

P.S.
@redwing
@WimYogya
Thanks for bugs reports. I'll test plugin more carefully. Remember that now its just a beta.

WimYogya

More experiments with the ASR beta showed that the update is significantly faster than before, but after/during mass operations it still slows down the whole behaviour if auto-apply is used in my big collection. So for the time being I will not use it in these times where I am permanently re-arranging, updating, cleaning, retagging thousands of files. Maybe later, for finetuning of smaller amounts.
The tool itself is excellent - just the auto-apply-speed is not so good (yet) in my situation.

As to the 'any' field request: I just saw that it was added (by you or Steven?) recently in various dropdownlists. Including standard S&R. So thought i would perhaps be possible in other presets as well. I have no clue about background processes, values, etc. If it is not possible, so be it.
In the meantime I found that several presets can already scan up to 5 customizable fields in one go - that is already quite convenient.

If panel positions cannot remember their positions across MB sessions, then give it a fixed startup position elsewhere, not in the far left corner. With wide screens like mine it is too much scrolling ;-)

Sometimes I feel sorry to report issues, because I cannot express enough how thankful I am, first of all. But then I realize too that bug reporting is not a matter of complaining or demanding improvements, but a contribution to your work. Nice to hear you appreciate it.
Goodluck!
WimYogya

boroda

More experiments with the ASR beta showed that the update is significantly faster than before, but after/during mass operations it still slows down the whole behaviour if auto-apply is used in my big collection.
WimYogya, one more question: was auto applied preset filtered by auto- or static- playlist in your case? I mean "Auto apply preset only if track is contained in playlist:" option.
Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:53:47 PM by boroda74

WimYogya

No, I saw that filter option but did not understand (yet) why i should/could use it, so i didnt activate any filter.
WimYogya

WimYogya

New Trouble. Maybe ASR can 'save' me!
A completely failed experiment to map the field 'conductor' with my own customized field 'conductortest' had the terrible result that all 2500 fields with names in 'conductortest' are completely gone. Lesson learned: don't apply experiments to the whole library, just experiment with backups or selected files... But that lesson came too late for NOW.

All my conductors names are still in the field 'performers', which is a copy of the field performers-virtual.
The performers-virtual are changed now, missing their last entry, the conductor(test).
But the copied field 'performers' was not automatically affected, the conductors are still there - as said: as the last of a multiple entry list.
Would ASR have a way to SPLIT OFF the last entry in a multiple entry list and COPY it to the field 'conductortest'?
I see a preset in the ASR list, like: remove the last entry from ARTIST. That is about the idea but:
- can I do it from other fields as well, i.e. PERFORMERS?
- can I not just (re)move that last entry, but copy it to another field (CONDUCTORTEST or TEMP or so?)

Help would be highly appreciated!
Sorry for the mess. Growing pains...
WimYogya

redwing

@WimYogya:

Would you give an example of your tags with the current and the desired format? It's not easy to get what each field of yours looks like.

WimYogya

I already found a way to isolate the 'conductors' from the PERFORMERS field, where (if existing) it is always the last of the (many) entries.
I split the PERFORMERS field several times in several tracks, till just one entry is left in the source field. That is the conductor (if a conductor name was entered, otherwise it is the orchestra, easy to see the difference....)  ;-)
But I made a mistake.
So now I am in other trouble again.
See my newest topic about 'retrieving title information'...
WimYogya

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Switched to new beta
deleted old ASR presets, imported new
CPU usage normal for when MB running (3-6% with Firefox and a few others open)
Edited tags on one album (10 tracks) and background 'Copy Tag' preset starts
CPU usage jumps to 65-70% and stays there.
Have let MB run for 24hrs to see if CPU usage drops again but it doesn't
Approx 25K files in library
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

Bug Report 3:

I have noticed the pattern I've reported repeats. When set, auto-applying works fine for a while, but all of sudden it starts to run when a tag value of a file is changed. It doesn't matter whether the file is on the selected playlist or the edited tag is related to the auto-applied preset. It consumes lots of system resources, and whether or not I succeed in unticking the auto-apply option, it freezes MB as I reported before. What it does seems to be the same as the previous version. It constantly rewrites the same tag for one file, ends up editing wrongly. And playlist selection box disappears from the pane.

boroda

@WimYogya
@redwing
@Bee-liever
I still can't reproduce sudden slowdowns and freezes, but I've tweaked ASR command. Please try new beta.