Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 917406 times)

boroda

Steven, the problem with latest MB releases (which don't replace 'swap artist and title' menu item, but add new 'additional tagging tools' menu item) is that if you unload plugin and load it again then all plugin's menu items will appear twice. It seems that MB doesn't remove plugin's menu items on plugin unload.

Maleko12

I'm still having an issue with "Change Case"... it seems that it's not ignoring the words in the "except for words" section. Am I doing it right?

boroda

I'm still having an issue with "Change Case"... it seems that it's not ignoring the words in the "except for words" section. Am I doing it right?
I don't understand what you want to get in the tag. 'Ignore' means 'do not change'. If you speak about letter 'a' in ignored words list then case of this letter is not changed.

P.S. Sometimes its impossible to get required letter casing in just one step. You can do multiple steps in this situation using 'Change case of new tag' button (this will reapply rules to generated but yet not saved new tag).

EDIT:
If you want lowercase service words (and, of, or, the), but capitalize all other words then you need to make 2 steps:

1. Untick 'Ignore words'. Lowercase every word.
2. Tick 'Ignore words'. Capitalize tag leaving ignored words as is.

There is no way to leave very many words as is (no 'change case only for words' option), but sometimes 'ignore words after symbols' option may useful.
Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:29:05 AM by boroda74

jimmanningjr

Thank you so much for this plugin . This is exactly what i was looking for. After I installed it it took me a couple minutes to figure out that I had to go into Preferences to enable it.
Seems to have a problem with my library of 65,000 tracks...will not preview...I am going to see if I can get it to export...which is what I want it for anyway.

Steven

• Administrator
After I installed it it took me a couple minutes to figure out that I had to go into Preferences to enable it.
i've changed that now for the latest version of MB - it now enables plugins by default

Maleko12

With the latest release, change case now works to how I expected!!!! Thanks so much for the addition :)

Steven

• Administrator
do people have any views about auto-rating the entire library? I do have a field available for this purpose (i just need to do some fairly minor things so it becomes visible in the GUI and selectable in queries)
so you could still have a manual rating and have a auto-rated field as well (when i was thinking of doing this functionality myself, one of the inputs to an autorating was going to be the manual rating when it was available)

boroda

do people have any views about auto-rating the entire library? I do have a field available for this purpose (i just need to do some fairly minor things so it becomes visible in the GUI and selectable in queries)
so you could still have a manual rating and have a auto-rated field as well (when i was thinking of doing this functionality myself, one of the inputs to an autorating was going to be the manual rating when it was available)
Steven, unfortunately I didn't get any feedback about auto-rating command at all. It was so many times requested and it seems nobody uses it.

About dedicated 'auto rating' field: I think it would very convenient to have this field in UI and it may be very easily added to the command (like any other tag, but currently I don't see any sense to save auto-rating in tags other then 'album rating', 'track rating' and custom tags).

Suggest its possible to define virtual tag that displays manual rating if its available and 'auto rating' otherwise (though I'm not sure how to 'unrate' track (its not the same as 0 stars) and how to get 'unrated' value).

EDIT:
Nope. Virtual tag cannot be displayed as stars. Well, its possible to modify command, so any manual rating (if present) will override auto-calculated value.
Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:57:13 AM by boroda74

cartman005

boroda, I have installed your plugin but I haven't gotten a chance to try out the autorating feature. I am worried if I don't like the outcome, I will have to restore my library from backup as I have already manually rated my library. Steven's idea sounds cool in that it would allow for the both to coexist. I am also surprised that there hasn't been more feedback regarding autorating. Maybe a separate topic would help?

beeing good

Steven, unfortunately I didn't get any feedback about auto-rating command at all. It was so many times requested and it seems nobody uses it.

I'm not sure I understand I understand Steven's comment about the auto rating field but I can give feed back on the auto rating with this plugin.

I tend not to use ratings but I have dabbled a little with the AutoAccurate script when I used MM. I found that quite useful and it seemed to work but unfortunately I haven't got much use out of this one. I did run it, took a while with 20,000 songs but I realised a big flaw in it (for me at least).

I don't tend to play a song more than once a day so it seems impossible to set up auto rating in this plugin that gives any accuracy. It seems that whatever settings I use, with me not playing a song more than once a day, that everything will get more or less the same rating. I would prefer it to be based on track count in total and/or skip count.

It's not a biggie for me as I don't really use ratings. Maybe I'm using it incorrectly though?

boroda

I don't tend to play a song more than once a day so it seems impossible to set up auto rating in this plugin that gives any accuracy. It seems that whatever settings I use, with me not playing a song more than once a day, that everything will get more or less the same rating. I would prefer it to be based on track count in total and/or skip count.
Hmmm... 'Plays per day' used for calculations is not an integer number (not only 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.). Its a fractional number (more exactly floating point number), it may be 0.0001 which means that you play track 1 time per 10000 days (on the average). Actually maximum 'plays per day' (for mostly played tracks) in my library is about 0.042 (much lesser than 1). Is doesn't somehow interfere with calculation of auto-rating.

EDIT:
Exact 'plays per day' values are not interesting at all. Its only service info. You may use 'Max. plays per day' and 'Average plays per day' hints in the command to set up thresholds manually or you may don't care about 'play per day' at all using 'auto-calulate thresholds' command. This command allows you to define that (for example) 5% of mostly played tracks must have 5-star rating, 10% of the rest of mostly played tracks must have 4-star rating, etc. 'Plays per day' thresholds still will be displayed in UI, but you can ignore (but do not change manually) these values.
Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:15:08 PM by boroda74

beeing good

Ah I see, I understand now (I think). Thanks for explaining.

I'm having a problem though, it keeps crashing on me. I set the percentages and change the standard rating for unplayed tracks to 0, click the auto calculate threshold at start up (will this scan my library every time I start MB?), and auto rate automatically if the track is changed. Then I press save settings.

This part is ok but what do I do after that? I try to close because I thought it would rate everything on the next start up but pressing Close crashes the MB.

Is it rating everything when I click Save Settings? There's no way to see if it is performing some activity.

By the way, I would like to say thanks for this plugin, the other features have been very useful.

EDIT: actually it seems that even if I just open the auto rate option box and press close without doing anything then it crashes/freezes MB.

boroda

Clicking on 'Save setting' only saves settings and doesn't do anything else. 'Close' just closes the window.

What version of MB do you use? For 1.3.4216 all works fine for me.

P.S. You need to manually auto-rate all tracks of your library first (select all tracks (this can be done without closing 'auto rate' window) and click 'Calculate thresholds', then 'Auto rate now') because 'auto rate automatically if the track is changed' will only update auto-rating of playing tracks.

beeing good

I'm using 1.3.4216.

I can't get the settings to save and just opening and closing crashes (not responding to be more specific) MB (possibly the reason for the settings not saving).

I did try to set up some albums (not all because it would take far too long) and I could see the rating in the custom9 field so it is working.

I still find it confusing though to be honest. Would some presets be a possibility for a future update?

boroda

I can't get the settings to save and just opening and closing crashes (not responding to be more specific) MB (possibly the reason for the settings not saving).
Actually 'auto rate' window calculates max. and avg. 'plays per day' just when window is opened. May be this is the issue? How large is your library? For me (~14 000 tracks) opening of window takes less than 1 sec. Anyway nothing is done when you close the window. And saving settings takes only milliseconds (they are saved to memory and saved to file only when MB exits).

I still find it confusing though to be honest. Would some presets be a possibility for a future update?
Do you mean presets of percentages for calculation of thresholds? I'm doubtful that somebody will constantly change presets. Percentages are actually set-and-use settings.
Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:24:46 AM by boroda74