Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 917306 times)

hiccup

Just throwing this out there:

I must admit that I still don't have a good understanding of what AT&RT is capable of, and more importantly: how to use it's features and what all buttons and options do exactly.

Is it just me?

boroda

do you mean AT&RT or ASR?

all functions of plugin are located in tools> additional tagging tools menu (but one function is in settings window - saving last skipped date, and virtual tag functions are automatic).

short description for every command is located on add-on site page, except for description of saving last skipped date because description on add-on page has 15000 characters limit  :-\

some unimportant functionality descriptions are placed on the 1st page of this topic.

-----

i had tried to make informative tooltips, which appears on mouse-over on buttons/dropdowns/text fields/checkboxes/etc.

phred

• Global Moderator
@boroda-

I just updated AT&RT to yesterday's version (5.5.8.97.) After copying over the presets and the dll I opened MB (3.5.8388) > Preferences > Plugins > AT&RT > Configure. I changed nothing (just checking version number) and clicked 'OK' and MB threw this error. Repeated and clicked 'Cancel" and got the same error. I shut down MB over installed the dll and presets from v5.4.8380 and the error no longer appears.

MusicBee v3.5.8388.32476P  (Win10.0), 28 Dec 2022 6:55:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error generating the XML document. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Instance validation error: '0' is not a valid value for MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.MetaDataType.
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterSavedSettingsType.Write5_MetaDataType(MetaDataType v)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterSavedSettingsType.Write8_SavedSettingsType(String n, String ns, SavedSettingsType o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterSavedSettingsType.Write9_SavedSettingsType(Object o)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(XmlWriter xmlWriter, Object o, XmlSerializerNamespaces namespaces, String encodingStyle, String id)
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Serialize(TextWriter textWriter, Object o, XmlSerializerNamespaces namespaces)
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.SaveSettings()
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.Configure(IntPtr panelHandle)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at #=z1mgrv$_$6GN1Y3k46g==.#=zbm0_O3k=(IntPtr #=z4UJlY40SuO_w)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
thanks, phred. it's fixed:
Confirmed as fixed. Thanks boroda!

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

do you mean AT&RT or ASR?
It was a rather unspecific and general spur-of-the-moment remark.
Probably triggered by the fact that I realised that I don't have a good understanding of all the elements in the user interface.
But for a part it's also a more general observation.
For example, while 'Advanced Search & Replace' is well-known and familiar, there also is a 'Multiple Search & Replace' feature.
I never even clicked that one because I have no clue about what that does or why I would use it.

More specific about the AS&R panel:
Here's a screenshot containing some highlighted elements.
These are buttons that I have never clicked, because I have no idea what they do, and/or what the differences are between similar named buttons.

Again, my comment was rather vague and un-directed, probably a bit lazy, and maybe not very helpful.
And the fact that nobody else voiced any sort of agreement on my observation probably means it's just me.

But still hopefully somebody will one day write: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools for Dummies.
It surely would help me.

P.S.
Even though you there is a comment in CAPITALS about it, I still feel that it should be more clear what the check boxes in front of the functions mean.
It is a function that can very easily raise havoc on a music library. (it has happened to me too)
There is no tool-tip when hovering over them, and no pop-warning when you have activated one.
Most users of AT&RT probably have learned what that does the hard way?
Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:24:55 PM by hiccup

boroda

1. "star" button will enter "star" char in search text box. this will show only presets, which have "star" char in their name (i.e. presets, which have assigned hotkeys).

i had to make (and will make) explanation tooltip for this button.

2. you can assign virtual tag function id to any preset, and use this preset in virtual tags, file naming templates, etc. as $ASR(<URL>,preset_id).

note: this option may be useful for simple asr presets, but it will return last changed tag for complex (multistep) presets, what may be not very obvious in this case.

3. asr preset ("skip input values" option is per preset option) won't change any tag (i write "any tag" because some presets have several steps, which can change different tags) if this tag exactly equals to one of the values (separated by ";;") enumerated in this field.

example: you try to apply "sentence case" preset to change "album artist" tag of several tracks, and one of tracks has "UB40" album artist. you enter "UB40" in "skip input tag" field, and all album artist tags, except for "UB40", will be sentence cased.

i had to make (and will make) explanation tooltip for this field.

4.A. "export" button will export selected (custom or customized predefined - with changed <tag 1>, <tag 2>, <custom text 1>, etc.) preset to the folder of your choice. this button has good toolip.
4.B. "export custom" button will export all custom (NOT selected, NOT customized predefined) presets to the folder of your choice. this button has good toolip.
4.C. "import" button will import any exported earlier (by you or by some other user) presets from the folder of your choice (you will be able to select individual presets from this folder). this button has good toolip.
4.D. "import new" button will import new and updated predefined (if any) presets after updating plugin. it won't change customized predefined presets. this button has good toolip.
4.E. "delete" button will delete any selected preset. this button has good toolip.
4.F. "delete all" button will delete all predefined presets, but won't delete any custom presets. this button has good toolip.
Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:12:29 PM by boroda

phred

• Global Moderator
@boroda-

Having the top line of the AS&R window ("Select preset below to edit ...") show a different color (blue in my case) when there are presets that are ticked is a great feature. It would be even better if the user could click on that blue line and have the window show -only- the ticked presets. The way it works now is that I have to scroll through all presets to find the ones that are ticked.

This screenshot from another thread "implies" that my request is already the way AS&R behaves:

Yet this is mine:

Also, the box with the 'X' at the far right of that line looks like it's one pixel short at the right side of the box as it's missing the right side vertical line.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

the checkbox to the left of "star" button is checked on my screenshot, but not on your screenshot. that's why only ticked presets are shown on my screenshot, but not on yours.

so you don't need to scroll through all presets to find ticked ones.

but i believe that clicking on highlighted warning text to show only ticked presets in addition to that checkbox is a good idea. i'll make this.

phred

• Global Moderator
the checkbox to the left of "star" button is checked on my screenshot, but not on your screenshot. that's why only ticked presets are shown on my screenshot, but not on yours.
And you even have a tool tip on that check box. <sigh>

but i believe that clicking on highlighted warning text to show only ticked presets in addition to that checkbox is a good idea. i'll make this.
Not necessary for me now that I've seen the error of my ways. I do think it will help others who come along ignoring the check box like I did. Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

A question about installing/updating:

When installing AT&RT I use the Plugins > Add plugin… button.
For updating I close MB, then copy the downloaded mb_TagTools.dll over to MBs Plugins folder to overwrite the existing dll.

But I notice the download also contains a folder named 'ru' that contains mb_TagTools.resources.dll
But there is no 'ru' folder, nor mb_TagTools.resources.dll to be found in my MB install.

Should that file also be used in some way when updating to a new AT&RT version?

phred

• Global Moderator
Should that file also be used in some way when updating to a new AT&RT version?
I've always assumed the RU dll has something to do with the Russian language. Perhaps a translation of the .dll. Obviously boroda will let us know.

However, the method I use to update is to open the ZIP and drag the (first level) dll to MB's pluglin folder. I then drag the zipped ASR Presets to MB's AppData folder. In both cases allowing the originals to be overwritten. I have never had nor used the RU .dll.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

@phred, you are right. 'ru' folder always contains the only file 'mb_TagTools.resources.dll', it contains russian localized strings. everybody can safely delete this file to always use english localization, but this file won't be used anyway, if windows regional settings are not russian.

'asr presets' folder is supposed to be copied either to folder mb folder\plugins\ or to folder mb appdata folder\plugins\, depending on how you have installed plugin (manually in 1st case or by using 'add plugin' button in 2nd case). after updating plugin you need to open asr and either 'import all' or 'import new' asr presets. 'import new' button also preserves any customized predefined presets.

you can copy 'asr presets' folder from plugin zip directly to mb appdata\ folder, but you won't be able to (re)install only updated asr presets in this case, not overwriting customized predefined presets.

--------------------------

i've improved asr ui/ux. now you must double-click preset to tick/untick it. this prevents presets from accidental ticking. warning sound is played if you have ticked preset. tool tip over warning text at the top part of asr window is now more informative. now you can click warning text to show only ticked presets. and some more minor enhancements.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h2t08o9562efboi/mb_TagTools_latest.zip/file

--------------------------

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS!
Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 11:05:29 PM by boroda

hiccup

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS!
The same to you boroda.
And thanks for continuing development and support for your plugin.

While the (new) pop-up explanations are certainly nice and useful, I think ideally a user interface should by itself be as self-explaining as possible.
The new double-click feature of checkboxes certainly adds a layer of security in preventing user errors, which is good.
But it's not standard behaviour for checkboxes, so it's not something a user would expect.

Thinking out loud: perhaps instead of having this double-click restriction, have a new text field/pane right beneath the presets panel, that as soon as there are auto-applied presets active, displays something like: "Warning: you have one or more presets active that will automatically apply changes to your tags when files are edited or updated"
(I'm not sure about the "edited or updated" part in that sentence. Does that indeed describe when AT&RT will perform its magic?)

And when a user checks (adds) another preset, perhaps a brief pop-up saying something like "preset will now be applied automatically to files in your library"

P.S.
The new audio warning may be helpful for some too, but personally the first thing that I do after installing AT&RT is going to preferences and uncheck the one 'Sounds' option that is checked by default.
It's pretty much the first thing I do for any and all programs that I use, including Windows itself.