Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 917537 times)

boroda

NOTE

If you are familiar with plugin quick update process, you can always download latest plugin version here (NOTE: this latest version can require the latest version of MusicBee which sometimes may be available as a beta). Copy the file "mb_TagTools.dll" from the archive "mb_TagTools_latest.zip" to MusicBee "Plugins" folder, and overwrite the existing file.

NOTE

Pay attention to tool tips over buttons/fields in plugin windows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLUGIN ADDS SEVERAL COMMANDS TO MB MAIN MENU

1. Copy tag

Allows you to copy one tag to another for selected files. It's possible to append one tag to the end of another tag or add one tag to the beginning of another tag placing custom text between them. Also, its possible to use '<Null>' pseudo tag as the source to append static text to the destination tag.

2. Swap tags

Swaps any two tags for selected files.

3. Change case

Changes letter case of a tag according to rather sophisticated rules for selected tracks.

4. Library reports

Allows to export some library statistics for currently displayed tracks to external file: HTML document (as a table), tab delimited text, M3U playlist (its only possible to export file paths to playlists, but considering filtering capability of command this option may be useful). This may be used for reimporting table in spreadsheet editor (including HTML table - it's the easiest way to import track list to MS Excel) for printing statistics or just content of your library, filtered content of library or your playlists.

5. Auto rate

Calculates auto rating on the basis of the number of plays per day for selected tracks. Also, its possible to auto rate all tracks of your library on MusicBee startup or update auto rating if currently played track is changed.

6. Reencode tag

Even ID3V2 tags are usually stored not in UTF encoding (which is independent of language), so in most cases reading ID3 tags is only useful if tags use the same encoding (in general - language) as your windows default encoding. This command allows you to convert any incorrectly interpreted not UTF tags to UTF tags. In this command 'initial encoding' is the suggested actual encoding of tag and the 'used encoding' is incorrectly interpreted encoding of tag (Usually it's your default windows encoding. The only sense to change 'used encoding' is if you get a music file from another computer with different regional settings).

7. Reencode Tags

Command to re-encode all tags of selected tracks at ones. Cuesheets are supported.

8. Advanced search and replace
  • 'Advanced search and replace' works only with regular expressions.
  • 'Advanced search and replace' has savable/customizable presets.
  • Checked 'Advanced search and replace' presets will be automatically executed if any tag is changed and/or if new tracks are added to the library/inbox.
  • 'Advanced search and replace' can search in one tag and make replacement in another tag.
  • Single 'Advanced search and replace' preset can make up to 5 subsequent replacements.
  • Plugin includes several ASR presets and new presets will be available for download later.
9. Calculate average album ratings

Command averages all the ratings of the individual tracks on the album, writing the result to an Album rating. Any tags can be used as album and track ratings. This may be useful for calculating average album rating for auto rating stored in custom tag.

10. Plugin has the option to store "last skipped date/time" in any writable tag (e.g. some custom tag)

Go to MusicBee menu> Edit> Preferences> Plugins> Additional Tagging Tools> Configure. Click the button "Save last skipped date..." at the bottom of plugin settings window.

Plugin strictly follows MusicBee convention of what is "skipped track".

To define date type of custom tag, open MusicBee menu> Edit> Preferences> Tags (1)> Define New Tags> Configure Fields. Find "Custom1" tag (or some other custom tag), change type to "Date".

See here screenshot of this setting

11. Backup & Restore

Backup & restore commands allow to (auto)backup tags of all tracks in your library and restore them. First create full backup manually. You can do manual or auto incremental backups after this.

And much more

Full description and download link

Provide feedback on this topic
Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 03:40:45 PM by boroda

Steven

• Administrator
thanks Boroda74.
I'll look to do the 2 missing items from the MB side next week

Maleko12

Nice plugin! Although I still can't figure out how to get that issue resolved from my custom search option, I think I just need to tinker around it more. I can tell this is a pretty powerful tool and, along with your Russian contributions, you must be one busy person :)

Anywho, I do have one thing I'm having a problem with, and it's the "Change Case" tag.

OK, let's say I have a song currently titled "The Way Of The North King And The Way Of The South Queen (The Most Awesome Title With A Beat)." For capitalization rules, in this example at least, "of", "the", "and", "with", and "a" should be lowercased, unless it's the first word of a title or the first word inside the parentheses. Thus, the title should be look like "The Way of the North King and the Way of the South Queen (The Most Awesome Title with a Beat)." However, I can't seem to make that work thus far...

boroda

Although I still can't figure out how to get that issue resolved from my custom search option... :)
You are right. I forgot your initial problem implementing 'album count' tag. Well, what about selecting (in order) 'album artist'
, 'year', 'album', 'album count', 'url'? All is OK now? :)

OK, let's say I have a song currently titled "The Way Of The North King And The Way Of The South Queen (The Most Awesome Title With A Beat)." For capitalization rules, in this example at least, "of", "the", "and", "with", and "a" should be lowercased, unless it's the first word of a title or the first word inside the parentheses. Thus, the title should be look like "The Way of the North King and the Way of the South Queen (The Most Awesome Title with a Beat)." However, I can't seem to make that work thus far...
Yes, there is some bug with excluded words

cartman005

I can see this plugin being super useful if I ever need to do some bulk tag operations. Will keep it in mind. Thanks

Steven

• Administrator
boroda74, i have updated the API - i will send you a PM with instructions

chuckmoore

I downloaded this plugin and it has a ".rar" extension. I don't know how I can use it. The format isn't compatible with Windows. Also, I would be happy if the "Auto-tag" feature would also tag the <Album Artist> field because I think that the <album artist> field is an important tag because most players and tag editors use that field. I would be grateful if that field was added with the auto-tag feature.

Elberet

".rar" files are compressed archives. The actual plugin file is inside the archive, and you need a program capable of handling RAR archives to read the archive and extract the plugin file, such as the free 7-zip program (www.7-zip.org).

Steven

• Administrator
Also, I would be happy if the "Auto-tag" feature would also tag the <Album Artist> field because I think that the <album artist> field is an important tag because most players and tag editors use that field. I would be grateful if that field was added with the auto-tag feature.
If you are referring to the native MB autotagging, it already supports album artist. I also thought this (boroda74's) plugin already had album artist from what i have seen but perhaps he is best to answer that

boroda

I downloaded this plugin and it has a ".rar" extension. I don't know how I can use it. The format isn't compatible with Windows.
I'm using .rar archive format because it preserves all Unicode chars in file paths. Well, OK,, I'll use more common .zip format if no files are using non-ASCII chars in file paths.

Also, I would be happy if the "Auto-tag" feature would also tag the <Album Artist> field because I think that the <album artist> field is an important tag because most players and tag editors use that field. I would be grateful if that field was added with the auto-tag feature.
I'm not sure about what you name "Auto-tag" feature. "Auto-tag" feature is native function of MusicBee. If you mean 'Tag counter' virtual tag then its already capable to count any tag.

jrlx

I'm unable to run this plugin. I'm sure I'm missing something... I created a "Plugins" folder in my MB installation (C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins) but no "additional tagging tools" entry appeared in the "Tools\Tagging Tools" menu. If I go to Edit\Preferences\Plugins I get a program crash.

If the plugins folder is renamed to "plugins" or "plugin" there is no crash when going to Edit\Preferences\Plugins but I still don't get any additional menu entry.

I'm sure this one is pretty basic but any help would be welcome.

ma_t14

I'm unable to run this plugin. I'm sure I'm missing something... I created a "Plugins" folder in my MB installation (C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\Plugins) but no "additional tagging tools" entry appeared in the "Tools\Tagging Tools" menu. If I go to Edit\Preferences\Plugins I get a program crash.

If the plugins folder is renamed to "plugins" or "plugin" there is no crash when going to Edit\Preferences\Plugins but I still don't get any additional menu entry.

I'm sure this one is pretty basic but any help would be welcome.

What MusicBee version are you using?

Try with the latest version installed. Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?awg4bp3xkca6kgx

Just extract the contents to musicbee program files folder and replace
Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:49:42 PM by ma_t14

boroda

Try MB version from 1.2.4197 to 1.2.4210 (probably you are using more later version).

Steven, it seems that my plugin causes MB to crash when I try to use latest MB version.

Lore

Hi,

Is there a way to create an action that performs something like "Wipe unneeded tags"? I like to keep only certain tags in my files (e.g. Artist, Artist Album, track # and name etc.) and I always remove the other ones manually; something to do this in an automatic way would be really appreciated :)
Thanks and regards,
Lore