Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 964265 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
the only known bug at the moment is completely vague to me Bee-liever's bug report. i'm neither able to reproduce this nor understand why this would happen.

Woo!  8.1.8881.31436 is almost working perfectly.
LR presets preview and run correctly
$LR(<URL>,function_id) works correctly for virtual tag

Only problem is when you try to use that virtual rag in a playlist or for highlighting, MB becomes unresponsive, eventually needing to shutdown and restarted.
No error log is created.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

@Bee-liever, 1st error means that you have duplicated tracks in the library. it should be fixed now:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/16sid3j34j3da4s/Tagging+Tools_2024-04-25.zip/file
Should that be a non-debugging version that should be used by the 'general population'?

I am asking because two posts lower you offer a download for a debugging version, but this first one also has some .pdb file included, which I assume is for debugging?

boroda

* New virtual tag functions:
Yes I will  ;-)

@hiccup, i've appreciated your joke  ;)

@Bee-liever, 1st error means that you have duplicated tracks in the library. it should be fixed now:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/16sid3j34j3da4s/Tagging+Tools_2024-04-25.zip/file
Should that be a non-debugging version that should be used by the 'general population'?

I am asking because two posts lower you offer a download for a debugging version, but this first one also has some .pdb file included, which I assume is for debugging?

no. i'll upload the release version in a couple of days because Bee-liever's problem seems to be solved. i still need to update documentation (because now the single documentation sources are used for included in plugin .zip .chm files, readme on plugin's add-on page and github documentation).

boroda

Only problem is when you try to use that virtual rag in a playlist or for highlighting, MB becomes unresponsive, eventually needing to shutdown and restarted.

i don't think it's a bug. mostly likely it's just slow. i can re-enable LR function result caching in the plugin (i've commented out this code because MB-native caching is working fine for me), but i'm not sure if it improves situation significantly. do you consider this issue important?

p.s. it's much better to calculate LR functions at startup, saving their results to custom tags to avoid freezes and slowdowns.

btw, i understand what you mean by "use virtual tag for highlighting", but what do you mean by "use virtual tag for playlist"? auto-playlists?

boroda

* New virtual tag functions:
Yes I will  ;-)

@hiccup, here is my common style of virtual tag function descriptions (when these descriptions are not copied from source code  :D ):

$TitleCase(string)
    $TitleCase2(string,excepted_words)
    $TitleCase3(string,excepted_words,word_splitters)
    $TitleCase4(string,excepted_words,word_splitters,exception_chars)

Bee-liever

btw, i understand what you mean by "use virtual tag for highlighting", but what do you mean by "use virtual tag for playlist"? auto-playlists?
Yes, in auto-playlists

p.s. it's much better to calculate LR functions at startup, saving their results to custom tags to avoid freezes and slowdowns.
I am running the LR at startup but not saving to custom tag.
Didn't need to do that with old ALR

i don't think it's a bug. mostly likely it's just slow. i can re-enable LR function result caching in the plugin (i've commented out this code because MB-native caching is working fine for me), but i'm not sure if it improves situation significantly. do you consider this issue important?
I think it's more than just being slow - I've waited for almost 2 hours and the virtual tag still wouldn't load into MB.
If I set that same virtual tag as a displayed field it loads as normal and works fine.

hiccup

Just an ocd observation:

By default:

- Neither of the two font options is checked.
   Isn't using MusicBee font the default and shouldn't it be displaying a check by default?

boroda

I think it's more than just being slow - I've waited for almost 2 hours and the virtual tag still wouldn't load into MB.
If I set that same virtual tag as a displayed field it loads as normal and works fine.

aggregated functions are rather slow by their nature. but if you use them for main track list then MB/plugin needs to calculate them only for displayed tracks (actually, for all tracks in the library, which have the same grouping tags as displayed tracks). it's relatively fast. if you use aggregated functions in auto-playlists or for sorting/grouping, then MB/plugin needs to calculate them for the entire library. obviously, it's much slower.

i've just tested sample LR preset "<album unique id>/count(<kind>)" in auto-playlist:

* auto-playlist is very fast for my test library
* it's dramatically slow for my main library (9210 files only)

ok. i'll try to find my old source code and test it in auto-playlists. maybe i've indeed over-optimized the new code.

boroda

- Neither of the two font options is checked.
   Isn't using MusicBee font the default and shouldn't it be displaying a check by default?

i don't think so. even if the current MB font (default or not) is accidentally coincided with plugin's own default font. checked option means that plugin will follow any changes of MB font in the future.

hiccup

i don't think so. even if the current MB font (default or not) is accidentally coincided with plugin's own default font. checked option means that plugin will follow any changes of MB font in the future.
Thanks for explaining.
It indeed works as you suggested, I now understand.

boroda

aggregated functions are rather slow by their nature. but if you use them for main track list then MB/plugin needs to calculate them only for displayed tracks (actually, for all tracks in the library, which have the same grouping tags as displayed tracks). it's relatively fast. if you use aggregated functions in auto-playlists or for sorting/grouping, then MB/plugin needs to calculate them for the entire library. obviously, it's much slower.

i've just tested sample LR preset "<album unique id>/count(<kind>)" in auto-playlist:

* auto-playlist is very fast for my test library
* it's dramatically slow for my main library (9210 files only)

current observations: have tried to select this playlist, when i'm on the main library, running MB in debugger, $LR() function is properly invoked, i.e. it just freezing.

boroda

you are wrong. i have compiled plugin source from 2022-06-08 (which has separate ALR command and $ALR() function); $ALR() function is working fast for the mentioned sample preset if used in the track list, but it's dramatically freezing if used in auto-playlists.

Bee-liever

you are wrong. i have compiled plugin source from 2022-06-08 (which has separate ALR command and $ALR() function); $ALR() function is working fast for the mentioned sample preset if used in the track list, but it's dramatically freezing if used in auto-playlists.

Must just be a qwerk of my system. Sorry for creating all that extra work for you  :(

Overcame the problem by saving LR preset to a MB database only custom tag
Used original virtual tag that referenced $LR function but now referencing custom tag
Saved virtual tag settings to highlight settings (no freezing)
Reverted virtual tag reference back to original $LR function refernces, deleted custom tag and reverted LR preset back to only saving to virtual tag.

Restarted MB and everything works.

BTW when updating plugin next time, don't forget that Steven has added 4 more Custom tags  ;)

hiccup

$TitleCase(string)
    $TitleCase2(string,excepted_words)
    $TitleCase3(string,excepted_words,word_splitters)
    $TitleCase4(string,excepted_words,word_splitters,exception_chars)
Am I doing something stupid?

v8.1.8881.22127