Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 917312 times)

hiccup

And another observation…

The buttons on the left pertain to presets. Perhaps give them a separate header saying so? (something like 'preset management')
The buttons on the right would affect processing the preset on files, right?
But what about a button like 'Delete all' that is on the right?
Shouldn't that one be together with the ones on the left?

phred

• Global Moderator
And thanks for continuing development and support for your plugin.
Yes. Thank you boroda for the greatest MB plugin and for the continued improvements.
And wishing all forum members good health and good times in 2023 and beyond.

While I haven't had time to test the latest improvements to AT&RT, I do want to offer up a comment or two based on what hiccup has stated.

Since any audio I listen to via my PC is through headphones, I also immediately disable all Windows/Applications sounds upon installation. The audio warning may be helpful for some, but it won't do me any good. Nor will it help hiccup.

I have often been the victim of not realizing I have clicked a preset's checkbox and all of a sudden experiencing unexpected behavior. Double-clicking -may- prevent that, but I also think a visual warning would be better. I often double-click on things that don't need to be double-clicked. My suggestion would be to take the top line of the AS&R window ("Select preset...") and split it into two lines. The first being the current first sentence, which would also be there. Then on a (new) line underneath, something like "Some presets have been activated and will be automatically applied. Tick the box to see which ones are active." Obviously this warning should only appear if the user has presents enabled.

I think a combination of what I suggested above (which basically is a static warning) and a brief popup warning when a preset is ticked/double-clicked would make it very clear that a preset will be automatically applied.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

I think a combination of what I suggested above (which basically is a static warning) and a brief popup warning when a preset is ticked/double-clicked would make it very clear that a preset will be automatically applied.
Which I believe is what I just suggested.

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, pretty much. But I felt verbal and didn't want to simply plus one it.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Yes, pretty much. But I felt verbal and didn't want to simply plus one it.

Ok, then I will +1 your proposal, which was my proposal.
(probably the first time I am +1'ing myself ;-)

boroda

hiccup, phred, not exactly what you described, but something close to it:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h2t08o9562efboi/mb_TagTools_latest.zip/file

p.s. playing sound on asr preset ticking now can be disabled in plugin prefs.

boroda

i've changed the casing of warning text and tool tip over it. download link is the same.

hiccup

I'm not sure. (from a 'commonly understood' user interface point of view)

The text at the top (Select preset below to…) is an explanatory text which is helpful.
But later on it changes its function to be some sort of status indicator.
To me that's a bit ambiguous. I feel it should either be a helpful text, or an indicator of current operations.

Here a mock-up of what I was thinking of:

And when no preset is activated just have it grayed-out saying something like "no active prests".

And I still think checkbox behaviour should be single-click.
MusicBee itself also has some features that could have unwanted (not understood) consequences that can be activated by clicking a checkbox.
It then also warns with a pop-up balloon. It doesn't make it more difficult by requiring a double-click that nobody would expect for a checkbox.

boroda

Here a mock-up of what I was thinking of:

And when no preset is activated just have it grayed-out saying something like "no active prests".
i'll leave it as is for now. very big problem is insufficient space in ASR window. i was always trying to keep this window as much compact as possible.

And I still think checkbox behaviour should be single-click.
MusicBee itself also has some features that could have unwanted (not understood) consequences that can be activated by clicking a checkbox.
It then also warns with a pop-up balloon. It doesn't make it more difficult by requiring a double-click that nobody would expect for a checkbox.
that's where the main problem comes, and that's why i've changed ticking checkboxes to double-clicking. standard .net behavior of a list with check boxes is not only to change checked state on clicking inside a checkbox, but also to change this state on single-clicking anywhere on the line of the list. it was too easy to accidentally tick a checkbox.

i've changed button placements in ASR window:

download link is the same.

boroda

well, ok. it turned out not be difficult to limit ticking presets to checkboxes only. now single-clicking is required instead of double-clicking, but mouse click must be inside checkbox to tick/untick preset.

phred

• Global Moderator
now single-clicking is required instead of double-clicking, but mouse click must be inside checkbox to tick/untick preset.
Thanks boroda (and hiccup for expressing my thoughts.)

Overall I think these changes will keep me (and others) from inadvertently enabling presents. The one thing I've noticed, and I think this goes back many versions, is that ticked presets do not remain persistent throughout -version- changes. And yes, I do exit AS&R by clicking "Save all & Close."

BTW: showing the number of presets ticked is a nice touch.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

The one thing I've noticed, and I think this goes back many versions, is that ticked presets do not remain persistent throughout -version- changes. And yes, I do exit AS&R by clicking "Save all & Close."
yes, auto-applying option is stored in preset file. try to always 'import new' presets instead of copying them directly to 'mb appdata\asr presets' folder. another approach is to always turn this option on to copied predefined preset instead of original one. this problem doesn't exist for user created presets.

phred

• Global Moderator
try to always 'import new' presets instead of copying them directly to 'mb appdata\asr presets' folder
Okay - I've got to get into the habit of doing this. Thank you.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

boroda

new plugin version.

ASR improvements:

* now all ASR settings (including any created/changed/imported/deleted presets) are saved only by clicking "save all" or "save all & close" buttons. previously some changes were saved even on closing ASR window by clicking "cross" button in window title bar.

* auto-applying and hotkey assignment options are moved from preset files to plugin settings file. these option will be preserved on any preset updates by any of the ways (@phred, it's what you asked).

MSR improvements:

* MSR presets for ASR now can be deleted/renamed/set for auto-applying (and created as it has been already earlier) directly in MSR window.

phred

• Global Moderator
@boroda-

I don't know how you continue to do it, but you've taken what started out as a very helpful and great plugin, and made it even greater!!!

Full disclosure: I haven't had time to install this new update yet, but will have time tomorrow.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki