Author Topic: Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools  (Read 929348 times)

boroda

"Convert all artists with their roles after comma to performers" preset is no longer working with syntax error. I think it's about () to be replaced by \( \) in the code, but I can't fix it myself.
i cant reproduce this bug. 1st download latest version, if bug persists let me know exact performer names and roles:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h2t08o9562efboi/mb_TagTools_latest.zip

redwing

It's very strange. As you said the preset is working. But in some cases, it doesn't work.

Try this. Enter this value to display artist tag:

AAA, violin; BBB, piano

And save tag editor. If you open multiple artist splitter dialog, it will show the two artists properly.
Now run the preset, then you will get syntax error.
If you edit any of those values in artist splitter and save it again, then it works.
I can't make sense of this.

redwing

Now the preset removes roles and write them as artists rather than as performers.

boroda

it seems that preset doesn't work with latest mb version.

redwing

Are you sure it's not about the plugin?

If I use the previous version of the plugin, this still works with the latest version of MB:

If you edit any of those values in artist splitter and save it again, then it works.

boroda

hmm, i dont understand whats the difference. replaced strings are identical in both cases when i inspect them in debugger. will have a more close look at this issue.

Tybot

I'm trying to move one specific tag to another and could really use some assistance. I have guest artists formatted like this:

Tag: <performer>
Value: Name (Guest Artist)

I would like to move that value to the tag <guest artist> without deleting other values in the <performer> tag (like other names and their instrument, formatted the same way).

I need help on which preset to use and how to use it. I would also like to ask boroda74 to add the tag <guest artist> to the drop-down menu of tags to chose from as it's currently not available.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: @boroda74

Are you sure this plugin is working correctly with the latest version of MB? I just royally fucked up and was forced to restore a lot of tags different backups from the past few days and it's not going very well to say the least.

Edit2:

So I downgraded to 3.1 and tried to restore the tags again with the same result as before. It restores the <artist> tag but I'm not getting the <performer> back. Unless anyone has a better idea I'm manually restoring the 176 files I messed up, could have been worse... Not sure why restoring the backup for the selected tracks isn't working as I vaguely recall using the tool successfully before.
Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:48:50 AM by Tybot

boroda

tag <guest artist> is read-only in mb api, but there is a workaround. i'll search for similar preset written for redwing and will adopt it for your needs. also ALWAYS experiment with a few test tracks before bulk editing tags.

boroda

what happens if just use 'toy: copy tag' asr preset to artist tag to artist tag (you need to mb 3.2). latest plugin version wont work correctly with mb 3.1, its strange if it works somehow at all with 3.1.

Tybot

tag <guest artist> is read-only in mb api, but there is a workaround. i'll search for similar preset written for redwing and will adopt it for your needs. also ALWAYS experiment with a few test tracks before bulk editing tags.

I'd appreciate that! I went through the files in question manually so right now every guest artist is in the tag <guest artist>. However, next time I add new files that's been tagged with Musicbrainz Picard, I will face the same issue as those files will automatically be tagged "Performer: Name (guest artist) because that's how Picard does it. A script to automate this process (move those tags to <guest artist> would be really nice.

The screw-up had nothing to do with you plugin. That was just me being stupid which cost me a couple of hours...

what happens if just use 'toy: copy tag' asr preset to artist tag to artist tag (you need to mb 3.2). latest plugin version wont work correctly with mb 3.1, its strange if it works somehow at all with 3.1.

Using 'toy: copy tag' does display <artist: guest> tag in the drop-down menu. But without the option to insert custom text it's going to move all my performers to the guest artist tag.

boroda

i meant to copy from 'artist' tag to 'artist' tag, not to 'artist: guest'. mb 3.2 might reformat 'artist' tag. if mb doesn't i'll create new preset.

p.s. i simply cant create tags from your example to check anything myself, mb reformats 'artist' tag to correct value.
Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:51:09 PM by boroda74

redwing

However, next time I add new files that's been tagged with Musicbrainz Picard, I will face the same issue as those files will automatically be tagged "Performer: Name (guest artist) because that's how Picard does it.

Why not use a script in Picard in the first place to tag it the way you want?

Tybot

However, next time I add new files that's been tagged with Musicbrainz Picard, I will face the same issue as those files will automatically be tagged "Performer: Name (guest artist) because that's how Picard does it.

Why not use a script in Picard in the first place to tag it the way you want?

I asked myself the same thing just as I posted. I'll probably look into that as it would be the optimal solution to the problem. Not sure how to format such as an expression though but it shouldn't be that difficult.

redwing

Two performer presets are not working.
- "Sort performers by their roles" preset gives syntax error. I can't fix it myself.
- "Convert all artists with their roles after comma to performers" preset still removes roles and writes artist tag. If I remove step 4 & 5, it works. Also you can merge step 1 & 2 using this code:
Code
\@char(2)$1 (\@lc($2))\@null()
Some suggestions about handling auto-applied presets. It's not easy to spot which presets are auto-applied when you have lots of presets imported. Also double-clicking a preset ticks the box and enables auto-applying which I often notice later after some tags were messed up.
- Remove the double-click-to-auto-apply functionality. The change in the tickbox is not easy to notice.
- Show auto-applied presets always at the top of the list (regardless of sort option) and use bold font for them to easily notice the change.
Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:54:23 AM by redwing