Author Topic: Ignoring "Album Artist" when viewing an artist?  (Read 235 times)

crimzind

Still new to MusicBee, but on the whole, I'm loving it.
I love being able to click an artist in the Track Information panel, and just getting a list of their works.

Maybe I'm missing something, but, in order to get all tracks on an Album to match to said Album, all tracks need to share the same full list of artists in the "Album Artist" field, even if not every artist has anything to do with a track. However, now, when you click into an artist, to filter to just that Artist's tracks, it still includes every track they're listed as an Album Artist for. Again, even when (other than appearing on an album together) they have nothing to do with those other tracks.

Basically, when I click an Artist, I only want to see things that artist performed.
I wish I had some more control over what fields it was checking. Like in the Search drop-down's "+Filename" toggle, I wish I could get the "default" behavior to ignore that field.
Yeah, I can do a custom search, limit field to "Artist" and is/contains and search that way to *just* get those results, but that's such a nuisance, imo.
...actually, nope, that doesn't work either, I just decided to test it before submitting this. There's no way to see an Artist's tracks, and exclude things they only share an album with?
Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 03:47:39 AM by crimzind

phred

• Global Moderator
If there is no Album Artist entered then MB assumes Album Artist is the same as the Artist.
Try using "Various Artists" for the Album Artist on albums that contain multiple artists.

AND/OR

In the Tag Editor enter the (primary) artist in the Artist tag and then use the artist splitter (three dots to right of artist field) to list the other artists on the track and assign each one a role.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

crimzind

> Various Artists
Riiiight. Duh. Thank you, that solves that problem. Appreciate it.

phred

• Global Moderator
You're welcome. I'm happy to hear it was a simple solution.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here