Author Topic: Do not 'Show Header in a Separate Row' available for sub-grouping in Albums view  (Read 1873 times)

hiccup

For the 'Albums' view you can use sub-grouping to e.g. organise and sort albums by release types.
The problem with that is that it will often make a wasteland of a lot of the desktop space.

E.g. like this:

My request is that the same feature that is available for main grouping (which is to disable: 'Show Header in a Separate Row') also becomes available for sub-grouping.

A mockup of what that could look like:

This would make much better use of the available desktop space.

The Incredible Boom Boom

+1 And I actually think this was requested before. I cannot find the topic, however.

hiccup

+1 And I actually think this was requested before. I cannot find the topic, however.

Thanks for noticing and supporting the wish The Incredible Boom Boom

To be honest I was surprised (and disappointed) that this didn't trigger any responses from other users.
Perhaps my explanation was not so good, so here's another try in explaining why I would really like to have this available.

To keep the example simple: suppose you have filtered three artists, of all of which you have some different release types.

Currently you will end up with this:

It may not look that bad at first sight, but the three artists all have their releases split up and mixed between the other two artists.
This makes it very difficult to see what releases you have of one artist when scrolling through the album covers.

Now imagine you have 10, or 100 or 1000 artists.
It will be an organised mess, and renders this type of view pretty much useless.

My request/suggestion would make this possible:

This will keep all releases of an artist together, nicely organised by release type.
Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 07:38:29 PM by hiccup

Zak

• Global Moderator
That was requested and discussed in this thread:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=34362.0

At first I thought this was requesting the same thing, but then I realised it's asking for the same thing to apply to the second-level heading.
So in this case each Artist would still start on a separate row, but with the second level (i.e. Release type) being populated from left to right.
Bee excellent to each other...

Acoustics

+1. The 'Show Header in a Separate Row' disabled has a lot of potential but IMHO should be improved visually first before going further with sub-grouping...

IMHO the layout with these label squares lack of design... I find it visually gloomy, not appealing. Here how they appear in my setup;

hiccup

+1. The 'Show Header in a Separate Row' disabled has a lot of potential but IMHO should be improved visually first before going further with sub-grouping...
That will need to go into a separate wishlist item.

This topic is specifically about allowing for e.g. album release types being subgrouped under album artists, instead of only being able to have grouping for release types, under which all the album artists are gathered together as one big melting pot.

Acoustics

I agree. I didn't want to hijack the thread, it's a very good idea. I just say the visual aspect of the feature could probably be improved too, because these square labels are very basic in their style and don't do much to introduce / enhance the content they present (the albums). And also, sometimes it can be not so obvious to make the difference between a label and an album next to it.

Your mockup is OK, the square labels look a bit better with a dark background than with a white one (my screenshot). But visually the feature is not yet to the standards of the rest of the program IMHO.

Will try to suggest something but I'm not very good for the design thing...