Author Topic: Auto-Tag by Track from the Album Covers view  (Read 646 times)

JMuller

My library is usually in Album Covers view. If I want to update tags (e.g. from filename) or lyrics of tracks, I cannot do this from the Album Covers view unless I click on an album and select the tracks manually. This also prevents me from updating the tags for several albums at once. The current workaround I have to be able to batch update tags or lyrics is to change the view to Tracks view, make the changes, then switch back to Album Covers view.

I believe it would make sense to have the Auto-Tag by Track option available in the Album Covers view. It would simply apply the tag/lyric update to all tracks in all albums selected.

Here are 2 screenshots showing the Auto-Tag options, in case anything is unclear let me know.

phred

• Global Moderator
You could have a tab for the view you like (album covers view) and keep it pinned and fully locked. Then create another tab with your "editing" view (track details.) Pin that one also and perhaps also add the navigation lock. Then you have both views - one for listening and one for editing.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

JMuller

You could have a tab for the view you like (album covers view) and keep it pinned and fully locked. Then create another tab with your "editing" view (track details.) Pin that one also and perhaps also add the navigation lock. Then you have both views - one for listening and one for editing.

The problem then is that both views would not be synchronized. I would need to reproduce my search query or navigator selection from one tab to the next to have the same track selection. I think it would make the experience worse than switching between 2 views within the same tab.

To be clear, this is clearly a niche issue only worth looking into if adding the Auto-Tag by Track option to the album covers view makes sense to people and is an easy thing to implement.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
The current workaround I have to be able to batch update tags or lyrics is to change the view to Tracks view, make the changes, then switch back to Album Covers view.
No comments from my side on the wish itself either, but another suggestion that aims to make the workaround easier:
A hybrid layout of the Album Covers and Tracks view.
I already spend hours on end on social media. Might as well spare a few of those to a greater purpose here.

phred

• Global Moderator
The problem then is that both views would not be synchronized.
Good point. I failed to consider that.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
You can assign keyboard shortcuts to each of the auto-tagging commands:

So you could select your album then press the shortcut to access the commands you need without having to twice change views.
Bee excellent to each other...

JMuller

So you could select your album then press the shortcut to access the commands you need without having to twice change views.

Not ideal since I need to remember the extra shortcuts, but very nice that it works out of the box. Thanks for the tip!

hiccup

+1

At first I had some reservations, since in a way it makes sense to have these options available only when 'looking at' and specifically selecting files.
But then again, when you select an album, you are actually selecting all the files that constitute that album.

So to me it makes perfect sense to have this available in the context menu of albums too.

Zak

• Global Moderator

Not ideal since I need to remember the extra shortcuts, but very nice that it works out of the box. Thanks for the tip!
Indeed, this is very much a workaround rather than a substitute for what you have requested.

Also forgot to mention that if you don't want to assign (and/or remember) shortcut keys, you can add toolbar buttons for those same commands:

Edit > Edit Preferences > Layout (1)

Bee excellent to each other...