Author Topic: Missing folders. Scan is skipping entire folders  (Read 418 times)

SwamI07

I'm new to MusicBee, but haven't been able to figure out what is going on. I have MusicBee monitoring my Music library folder. It scans through, loads a bunch of songs into the library. I've scanned through the list and noticed a few of my favorite artists are missing.  A search doesn't find them.  In Windows Explorer, they're right there in a subfolder.  There's nothing I can see that would exclude them.  If I tell MusicBee to specifically scan the files via "Add files to Library", they load right in.  I don't see a pattern to which ones are missing and which are included.  

The library and MusicBee seem to be working fine. I have a fair amount of stuff to clean up with dupes and missing tags.  However, these artists and their albums/songs are just missing completely from the library, even though the files are right there.  Thoughts??

As I said I've got some cleanup, but I've got 18,115 files (10,686 music files) and 3,266 folders (1130 artist folders).

vincent kars

the files are right there.  Thoughts??
Select a file and choose "Edit"
Inspect the tags, is the Alum Artist populated correctly?

SwamI07

Yes. All of the tags are filled in:  Album artist, contributing, album, year, track, genre, length.  And if I "Add files to library", it loads in like there never was an issue. 

Here's an example, Phil Collins was an artist folder completely skipped over by MusicBee.  The artist before and the artist after alphabetically are in MusicBee, but Phil was skipped.  I've got 5 album folders inside Phil's folder and inside each of those 10-15 tracks of mp3 files and all have tags. 

I also have "on startup check for updated or missing files" and "scan on startup only" set to scan the Music folder containing Phil and all of the other artist folders.

sveakul

In the Monitored Folders setting area, hit "Choose folders," expand the Music folder you chose and be sure all the subfolders in it have been checked.

SwamI07

@sveakul  Yes, they are all checked and if I expand the artist folder, all of the albums are check.

OK..I figured out where the artist/album/songs are  -- they're in the Inbox!  I don't understand why.  MusicBee has the warning that the file is duplicate.  However, I've checked several oddball song titles by searching the entire Music folder for very loose matches -- only the one match.  The list in the inbox is completely bogus.

I am using "Send to - Library" to get them out of the Inbox into the library. I literally have 5,500 titles in the inbox since it seems like MusicBee just gave up and marked random subfolder contents as duplicate.  Any better routes?  What's going on here?
Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 11:39:11 PM by SwamI07

sveakul

OK..I think I figured out something, but I don't understand why...at all.  MusicBee DOES see the missing songs.  The missing artist/album/songs are NOT in Music Explorer or Library>Music.  However, they ARE in the Inbox.  I have 5,566 songs listed in Inbox, all with the error "File is duplicate".  And while yes, I'm sure I've got a number of duplicate song files for the same album and some albums have the same songs re-released, this list in Inbox is completely bogus.
That may have happened by trying to re-add the files from their current locations into the library when you were testing, and you had "mark and send duplicates to the Inbox" checked in preferences so it kept sending/marking.  I don't use the Inbox, but there are plenty here that do who I'm sure will be able to help you further in cleaning things up.