Author Topic: MusicBee can't play from NAS source, other musicplayers can  (Read 1226 times)

yaboi2022

Hi all

I've got problems using MusicBee version 3.5.8296 to stream from my monitored NAS music folder.

Keeps saying 'the source file for track 'x' could not be found.

MusicBee has permissions to read on the folder, it scans it well but still won't work.
Log isn't sayign anything either. I've tried 10 times, adding/removing library, rescanning, doesn't work.
I have a strong suspicion it does play well with tracks a level deeper (so \\NAS\music\ALBUM) ) but not with the individual music which is in \\NAS\music.

Meanwhile I tried MediaMonkey yesterday and it did work! Same folder, but it does work..

What can I do ? I want to keep Musicbee

basementjack

This really sounds like a permissions issue.
Can you open the folder in Windows explorer and see if you can copy a file to your desktop?
You might also bring up task manager and confirm musicbee is launching as you.

I had a similar issue - I opened the folder in explorer, and entered my credentials, but did not click save credentials in windows.
That same day musicbee indexed everything and worked fine.
the next day after a reboot, musicbee showed my library, but any file I played showed the same message as you are seeing.
The solution (for me) was to open the file share in windows and choose the option to save credentials, then I restarted musicbee and it was fine.

yaboi2022

This really sounds like a permissions issue.
Can you open the folder in Windows explorer and see if you can copy a file to your desktop?
You might also bring up task manager and confirm musicbee is launching as you.

I had a similar issue - I opened the folder in explorer, and entered my credentials, but did not click save credentials in windows.
That same day musicbee indexed everything and worked fine.
the next day after a reboot, musicbee showed my library, but any file I played showed the same message as you are seeing.
The solution (for me) was to open the file share in windows and choose the option to save credentials, then I restarted musicbee and it was fine.

Good sugggestions.

The task manager process for MB is running under my own account
I can copy files from the NAS music fodler to my desktop just fine. Easy

The credentials are saved, I can read/write under my own user, all ok.

Can I completly wipe my library without having to delete all my actual music files, perhaps a complete uninstall?

hiccup

Just to be sure: also check if you maybe have AV software blocking things.
Make sure that it has MusicBee whitelisted.

frankz

Can I completly wipe my library without having to delete all my actual music files, perhaps a complete uninstall?

You don't need to uninstall.  File->Library->Create New Library and then delete the old one (full old library folder - not your music files or folders though) once you get the new one running the way you want.

This is assuming there's nothing in your old library that you want to save (ratings, play counts, added or last played dates, artist biographies or pictures, etc).  

Since you asked about wiping it, though, it sounds like there is nothing you'd want to preserve.

The "library" is just a database and a collection of files with information about your music files.
Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 03:30:35 PM by frankz

yaboi2022

You don't need to uninstall.  File->Library->Create New Library and then delete the old one (full old library folder - not your music files or folders though) once you get the new one running the way you want.

This is assuming there's nothing in your old library that you want to save (ratings, play counts, added or last played dates, artist biographies or pictures, etc). 

Since you asked about wiping it, though, it sounds like there is nothing you'd want to preserve.

The "library" is just a database and a collection of files with information about your music files.

Okay, created a new library, didn't help.

Still teh same

Files in root folder NAS\music can't be found .
Songs in NAS\music\album can be found!

yaboi2022

Still teh same
Did you check what I suggested?

Yes, the only AV I'm using is Windows defender.
I checked the Windows Firewall list of allowed applications, MB is not there, not blocked, not allowed. I don't see any option there to add MB, MB also didn't aask for this (I imagine this is purely to go to the internet?)

Thanks for the suggestion though & SLAVA UKRAINE

vincent kars

That is weird.
Anything wrong in your settings like a misspelled path ?
If you edit a track that can't be found and go to Properties and paste Location e.g. NAS\music\filename.ext in Exlorer, does that works?

yaboi2022

That is weird.
Anything wrong in your settings like a misspelled path ?
If you edit a track that can't be found and go to Properties and paste Location e.g. NAS\music\filename.ext in Exlorer, does that works?

Thanks for your help, with this info I've found something that very well might be the problem.

in my MB I see all my files twice when I search something, once on OLD location (which is now gone, hence MB can't find it anymore and gives an error) and on my NEW location (NAS, is playable)

HOw can I remove the OLD location files from my MB?  Would prefer to keep my library with all its playcount and rating stats.
THey keep showing up in my search results

vincent kars

Most of the time Playcount and Rating are written as tags in the audio files.
Check if this is the case.

Try Tools > Missing file

hiccup

Most of the time Playcount and Rating are written as tags in the audio files.
Playcount is not something I have much interest in myself, and so I am not some expert on it, but I am pretty sure that Playcount is never written as a tag into files.
Far as I know It only exists in MusicBee's library file.

(unless you use the AT&RT plugin and have it set up to write it to an actual tag)
Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 05:09:33 PM by hiccup

yaboi2022

Yeah it's pretty much fixed, I just keep finding double results when searching something. One won't work ( OLD path) , other one will (NEW path)

I'll just keep it like this, no biggy if it's not fixed. Any suggestions are welcome tho

Thanks for the help guys!!

hiccup

Yeah it's pretty much fixed, I just keep finding double results when searching something. One won't work ( OLD path) , other one will (NEW path)
I'll just keep it like this, no biggy if it's not fixed. Any suggestions are welcome tho
Try if perhaps Tools > Advanced > Compress Library fixes it?
Also try rescanning your library if you haven't done so lately.

yaboi2022

Try if perhaps Tools > Advanced > Compress Library fixes it?
Also try rescanning your library if you haven't done so lately.

Didn't help, thanks though

Strange thing is I see some of the problematic tracks in the library;

PLaying these will not work, MB knows they're not on the OLD path anymore and just skips them