Author Topic: Some songs are too quiet  (Read 1246 times)

xLordOfAnime

Before we start, I'm running MusicBee Version 3.5.8296.

Okay, so some songs through MusicBee are way too quiet compared to other tracks. I've made sure there were no ReplayGain tags, and ReplayGain is disabled entirely, yet the problem persists. I've also disabled all normalizer/equalizers through MusicBee, and restored/analyzed the volume. When seeking through the affected songs, the volume returns to the normal level for a split second before being turned down again. It only happens with a few of my tracks, but its annoying when I forget to turn my volume down for the next song and my eardrums get blown out.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Levi

hiccup

Welcome to the forum.
That doesn't seem like something MusicBee could be doing.
Perhaps you have some other software/audio device driver software interfering in your audio chain?

And/or maybe you have some plugins active?

xLordOfAnime

Welcome to the forum.
That doesn't seem like something MusicBee could be doing.
Perhaps you have some other software/audio device driver software interfering in your audio chain?

I thought that as well, but just tried playing the songs through different music applications and the volume was as it was supposed to be. I guess I can try doing a fresh install of MusicBee? I did upgrade to Windows 11 so maybe that caused something.

hiccup

I figure the only things that could cause this are:

- Windows (audio settings)
- sound card device drivers/software
- 3rd party audio software
- active MusicBee plugins

A MusicBee re-install might solve it for you, but then you will not know what it was that actually caused it.

edit:
You are not using Bluetooth as some audio vessel are you?
Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 12:52:23 AM by hiccup

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I did see that you have done this
...and restored/analyzed the volume.
but also check any quiet tracks with the Tag Inspector to make sure there are no RVAD tags (or similar) leftover.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

xLordOfAnime

I did see that you have done this
...and restored/analyzed the volume.
but also check any quiet tracks with the Tag Inspector to make sure there are no RVAD tags (or similar) leftover.
No RVAD tags, but what would be the similar tags you speak of? There were ReplayGain tags but I deleted those.

xLordOfAnime

I figure the only things that could cause this are:

- Windows (audio settings)
- sound card device drivers/software
- 3rd party audio software
- active MusicBee plugins

A MusicBee re-install might solve it for you, but then you will not know what it was that actually caused it.

edit:
I am using a Bluetooth headset, but considering the music files play fine in every other program and I've had no other audio options, I'm lead to believe its a MusicBee problem. The only plugin I have installed is the Last.FM Stats Counter. As for the Windows settings, I haven't changed anything regarding audio since I got this PC. Could be an audio driver issue perhaps but I'll have to look into that some more.

frankz

There is a volume adjustment slider on the settings tab of the tag editor. You haven't slid that down below "none" for these tracks, have you?

xLordOfAnime

There is a volume adjustment slider on the settings tab of the tag editor. You haven't slid that down below "none" for these tracks, have you?
I have not. Even when raising the volume adjustment, the song doesn't get louder. It just stays the same, except for when seeking, where it will go to like 200% volume for a split second until going back to the same low volume.

Steven

• Administrator
if it only happens with a few tracks then can you send a link to one of them

hiccup

edit:
I am using a Bluetooth headset, but...
I'm pretty sure that will be the cause. What happens if you use a line output?

xLordOfAnime

if it only happens with a few tracks then can you send a link to one of them
I uploaded them here, one song which is too quiet and another song that's normal volume, that way you can compare them to see if there are any tags leftover that I'm missing. Thanks! (removed link since problem was fixed)
Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 07:40:52 PM by xLordOfAnime

sveakul

Both of those M4A songs play at normal volume here on MusicBee 3.5.8359, in which use of any kind of gain/norm tags has been turned off.

You said you stripped both of any replaygain/norm tags, actually both still contain some and are viewable in Mp3tag or Kid3.

The "too quiet" one has a iTunNORM tag, and the "normal" one has iTunNORM, Replay_Gain_Track Gain, and Replay_Gain_Track_peak.

I would:

1.  Delete the above mentioned tags

2.  Double-check that using gain tag values really is disabled in MusicBee

3.  Get the latest bass_aac.dll from here and drop it into your main MusicBee folder:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=23454.0

I don't use Bluetooth and have no idea if/how that interface may be affecting your results.
Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:18:03 PM by sveakul

xLordOfAnime

Both of those M4A songs play at normal volume here on MusicBee 3.5.8359, in which use of any kind of gain/norm tags has been turned off.

You said you stripped both of any replaygain/norm tags, actually both still contain some and are viewable in Mp3tag or Kid3.

The "too quiet" one has a iTunNORM tag, and the "normal" one has iTunNORM, Replay_Gain_Track Gain, and Replay_Gain_Track_peak.

I would:

1.  Delete the above mentioned tags

2.  Double-check that using gain tag values really is disabled in MusicBee

3.  Get the latest bass_aac.dll from here and drop it into your main MusicBee folder:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=23454.0

I don't use Bluetooth and have no idea if/how that interface may be affecting your results.
The updated bass_aac.dll file fixed it for me! THANK YOU! It was driving me crazy.

PorterInkwood

Hello, I am writing because I just don't seem to move a bit in regard to finding a solution,
I recently got a new laptop, & after installing musicBee & playing back some songs, I have an issue that didn't occur on the old PC,
some songs (I assume just VBR M4A tracks) are just too quiet, when looking at the wavebar in MB, the track seems looks too "squeezed".
This never happened on the old PC & I copied the settings from there.

I added a link (google Drive) to the screenshots, where the wavebar can be seen & the different sizes (I didn't change any values)
The problem doesn't occur with MB on the old PC or any other music player.
I hope this can be solved, as I can't find anything to remove this condition.

Thank you all in advance.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1be0gJmYXSsYJR9EPj8mVI0taEkdORkgm?usp=sharing