Author Topic: Option to disable tag inference from the filename  (Read 1669 times)

getmusicbee_account1111

As was figured out in https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=40135, there is indeed some sort of inference algorithm. A toggle to disable it would be nice.

I think it would even make sense to disable it by default. Tags shouldn't get autofilled or pseudo-autofilled without letting the user know. Not to mention, if the user really wanted something displayed, they'd set the filename as a display field which the inferred tags are pull from anyway.

phred

• Global Moderator
Tags shouldn't get autofilled or pseudo-autofilled without letting the user know.
MB will never autofill tags unless the user tells it to. By default MB does not do this.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

If I understand what this is all about, I don't think it is something that will affect users that use MusicBee as intended.
Meaning that if you at least have your artist and title tags in order, this would never be any kind of issue.
So it's probably something the vast majority of MusicBee users will not care about. (same as me)
It was also never raised by any MusicBee user in the past 10+ years.

But…

I am also against software presenting things as facts while they are not.
MusicBee inventing an 'Album Artist' when there actually isn't one is one example that I have been boring this forum with for a long time, and more then once.
And I won't stop now ;-)

So for the sake of trying to be consistent:

+1

If a user does not care to put effort in tagging his music properly, or he does, and leaves specific tags blank on purpose, let MusicBee just display the facts.
And not decide or assume what a user should see.
Isn't that why most of us have such a dislike for software by companies such as Apple?
"You don't really need to know, and you don't want to know or do 'that'. We're only helping you for own your sake. We know what's best."

Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:26:46 PM by hiccup

getmusicbee_account1111

Tags shouldn't get autofilled or pseudo-autofilled without letting the user know.
MB will never autofill tags unless the user tells it to. By default MB does not do this.

I definitely didn't tell it to, and neither did the other user, yet it autofilled them. If you'd like you can try reproducing.

If I understand what this is all about, I don't think it is something that will affect users that use MusicBee as intended.
Meaning that if you at least have your artist and title tags in order, this would never be any kind of issue.
So it's probably something the vast majority of MusicBee users will not care about. (same as me)

If the intended userbase will always have those two tags populated then why have this feature to begin with?
Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 11:14:02 PM by getmusicbee_account1111

The Incredible Boom Boom

I understand the logic behind support for this feature, but on the other hand, I believe eliminating it will lead to more stupid posts, clutter and work for the forum moderators.